Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Project Reality: ARMA 2

PITN

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm skeptical. Is PR for Arma2 really necessary? !dntknw

Let's look back what happened so far. Battlefield 2 is a pure "run and gun" game.
By the PR mod it has more tactical depth, the team play made sense now. Back to topic.

Arma2 is good as it is. Those who want realism playing with the ACE & ACRE Mod.
Before I can make my judgmental about PR I have to try it out first.

Spears LAN_WROTE ...

I'm skeptical. Is PR for Arma2 really necessary? !dntknw

Let's look back what happened so far. Battlefield 2 is a pure "run and gun" game.
By the PR mod it has more tactical depth, the team play made sense now. Back to topic.

Arma2 is good as it is. Those who want realism playing with the ACE & ACRE Mod.
Before I can make my judgmental about PR I have to try it out first.

Yeah, I'm feeling the same. Looking at the manual it seems to only be adding the kit system and bases that can be built up.
Would've preferred to see some features similar to ace, more authentic ballistics, weapon resting, acre style radio system etc

guys guys.. have you seen the PR tutorial videos? it quite simply makes the communication more ''Realistic'' you see you dont have to start kicking your keyboards ass to find the correct key, the commo rose make the thing A LOT easier. + there is still stuff like 3rd person (not sure if they are gonna keep it) the weapons are accurate right away when you just prone, no waiting just lay down and shoot right away..

there is still stuff that needs to be corrected, you just gotta find 'em.

btw try ARMA II free first, makes your job easier :D

=VG= Suomi LAN_WROTE ...

guys guys.. have you seen the PR tutorial videos? it quite simply makes the communication more ''Realistic'' you see you dont have to start kicking your keyboards ass to find the correct key, the commo rose make the thing A LOT easier. + there is still stuff like 3rd person (not sure if they are gonna keep it) the weapons are accurate right away when you just prone, no waiting just lay down and shoot right away..

there is still stuff that needs to be corrected, you just gotta find 'em.

btw try ARMA II free first, makes your job easier :D

While the comm rose thing is fine, practically anyone who wants any level of tactical realism in their game uses voice comms anyway, so while it is a neat feature it doesn't really add much.
ARMA already has 3rd person, and too many people use and exploit it, should be removed completely with the possible exception of when using vehicles.

Weapons shouldn't be accurate right away when going prone. If you dive on the floor with a rifle, it will take you a second or so to stabilise your position and if the weapon has a tripod it'll take another second or so to deploy it.

This seems to be the issue with the mod. BF2 wasn't realistic in any true sense, so PR added a lot of things and improved the mechanics already there.
But instead of looking at what ARMA has, and building on that, they have instead just transplanted the BF2 PR style directly into ARMA.
They could have achieved so much more by getting the ACE/ACRE guys onboard and combining all their efforts.
PR + ACE + ACRE would be close to perfection.

Calv wrote ...

But instead of looking at what ARMA has, and building on that, they have instead just transplanted the BF2 PR style directly into ARMA.
They could have achieved so much more by getting the ACE/ACRE guys onboard and combining all their efforts.
PR + ACE + ACRE would be close to perfection.

I just finished watching the ARMA PR tutorial videos. This mod is clearly attempting to make ArmA more playable to the types of players who are used to more structure, smaller "maps", and less free-form planning. Objectives are even more clear and linear (in a good way) for those who enjoy playing on their favorite "map" and trying different methods on the same battlefield with the same objectives, using different tactics or even different players on their squad.

This will certainly help the learning curve, as area navigation will be consistant, and players will learn "the best ways" to attack or defend on a particular "map" or "mission" in PR. Unlike Domination or Insurgency, the start point and objective points begin rather close together, negating the neccessity for long travel, large scale force buildup and logistical deployment of assets to the mission objective area. Vehicles refuel, repair, and rearm with the MVTR truck same as before, but with different levels of each with time factors(50% refuel; 2% refuel...etc).

=VG= Suomi wrote ...

it quite simply makes the communication more ''Realistic'' you see you dont have to start kicking your keyboards ass to find the correct key

Communication is exactly the same as in original ArmA. You have several channels, Global, Side, Team, Vehicle, Direct, etc; and they are switched between with < and > buttons (, and .), making your standard PTT button change between channels. You also have the option, as in original ArmA, to set any one of those to it's own button, no needless switching channels all the time! I use this now in ArmA, on my flight stick, I have 4 PTT's all separate: Side Channel; Team Channel; Vehicle Channel; TS3 PTT. Keep's my eyes and mind on my flying...

The included medical system seems to be taken directly out of ACE Mod, as is the "radar", which looks like the ShacTac Hud with more in game GUI options. Downed teammates first require "Diagnosis" to determine the proper item or procedure to apply; CPR, Field Dressing, Morphine, Adrenaline. In ACE, we could lose consciousness but still be healthy, requiring the Adrenaline item to be used.
Looks to be the same here, but I haven't seen anyone pass out from carrying too much weight. I am pretty sure that dynamic is not implemented, as I watched a single player drag a MASSIVE crate filled with heavy equipment over to a truck and load it in himself.

Another reason carrying too much weight is not possible is the Kit System. I'll try to contain my distain, but I enjoy thoroughly the ability in standard ArmA to take and try out whatever weapon I wished or was available into battle. I look back to my BF2:PR days and recall filling only 3 roles because they had the weapon varient I required to perform well. I also like how PITN was able to make certain weapons limited in supply in our Insurgency map so we don't have 15 powerful snipers at one time. PR ArmA achieves this with the Kit System, and each kit has 2-3 varients to choose from while keeping the realism of a Medic not able to carry a huge Sniper Rifle.

The map system has been given a new set of tools to work with. Now, instead of having to double-click on the map and write out the marker name, change the marker type, and color, you simply click on the map, activate your Commo Rose, choose the marker type from menus and sub-menus of actions and markers (Enemy Units Here; Need Transport Air/Vehicle; Need Ammo Box; Need Air Strike/Artillery Strike).
The marker is then placed on the map with text describing it. Perfect for those who don't know how to place markers in ArmA.

Finally, the Forward Outpost. This Project Reality item is the Massive Crate that must be dragged by one person and loaded via Commo Rose into a basic transport vehicle, and then driven to the deployment area. There you can deploy the Forward Outpost, but....It must be far from the engagement area, and this is determined by an arbitrary large circle around the enemy AO. Basically, regarless of terrain features, roads, mountains, valleys and passes, you will always be a set distance from the enemy.

When deployed, small boxes start appearing around the Outpost, and these can be dragged into position, and a whole list of shape for walls and sandbag emplacements can be accessed. You simply choose the shape you want, and instantly, it appears where you want it (10 second deployment). Looks like there are a dozen of these crates around the Outpost. Also, the Project Reality Massive Crate is filled with many emplacement weapons (it's packed very well, so it can hold a lot of things and still be light enough to drag).
You can grab out a TOW, or say, a Ma Deuce, already assembled, on it's tripod, and drag it into place around your Forward Outpost.

Project Reality.Reality Project. Reality. Reality. REALITY!

I just had the best round in arma, was kick ass. Started as me and pitn getting a MG and At set up at the hills waiting for the chopper to land, Took out inf there. I then took 7 guys out by my own at 50m away.

We set up 4 hideouts against them, I built a fob quality with Hesco barriers and every thing.

Also whats so creepy about these pictures.