Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

my rig what could i do upgrade

sgt-barclay

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well depending on what power supply you have i would definately go for a 6800 or 6900 series, 6850 could be picked up for under 200 quid i reckon.

the 6900 series cards are obviously superior but there's the price to go with it. definately get an Ati card as they are optimized for AMD processors. so have a look around and see what you can pick up.

dont go for lesser known brands because they might be cheaper, you'll pay in the long run and will only suffer from it. go for brands like Gigabyte, ASUS etc. big names :) they are the best quality

here is something i'd be looking for, though i'd definitely look around to try and find it cheaper.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/xfx-amd-radeon-hd-6870-pci-e-graphics-card-1gb-08702312-pdt.html

you're going to want to go with the 1gb cache too, the more memory the better :)

Depending on the games you play, there are some specific hardware upgrades that will do well.

For Arma, 8GB of data streams off the Hard Drive during gameplay, so many have installed another hard drive, like me, and installed the game there. Some have even used a OCZ SSD (hard drive) to install Arma too, like Savage's lucky arse.

I would also add that the hard drives I use for my OS in RAID-0 are Seagate Barracuda's, and their beauty lies in their 16MB buffer and 7200RPM speed. IMO the best consumor priced hard drives for a RAID setup. (RAID-0 is striped array, half data on one drive, half on the other for a 2x read/write performance boost)

Summary: A new GFX card is a great idea, and will show instant improvement, but also examine how the data gets to it. You have a great CPU for now, RAM is fine, but can you increase the stream of data beween the 3 key parts up to the limits of the Mother Board?

Guess it depends on the games you play. After building an Arma system, I realize that it eats all other games for breakfast...Arma is THE system pusher to date.
\

cheers mate ye am playing arma as well runs fine but my bf3 is pot to shit at the moment and baffeld about whats going on there online help next to useless and forums people saying they having the same problem as me with no solution its like a frame rate drop but its not a frame rate drop if u know what i mean i was thinking could be my graphics card . and no to sound dumb i had no clue when comes to hd i see a size and if it sata or ide that's all i know

it could be anything, the stress that modern-day games put on dated hardware (even my 4850 is showing its age a LOT nowadays) is quite significant. it could even be down to CPU temp or HDD temperature. i'm only speculating though.

a good habit to get into is hoovering out your computer, so all the fans and filters are dust-free, and any components that are susceptible to dust build up (Power supplies are good at this).

better yet if you have access to compressed air, that would be the better route for the purposes of cleaning a computer out :)

who knows, but it's worth a shot right?