Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Do you like the new GUI

=VG= m823us

1.6.5.0 GUI  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new GUI?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/2021 at 06:27 PM

Just had a look myself. Not bad - they were 4:9 menus, but stretched into 16:9 and now they display properly (in a 4:9 space) regardless of the available viewport space, even if it's 16:9 wide... smart.

That's a lot better than it being stretched, especially in an MFD view. But for the Squad Join or Respawn menus, it is pretty obvious that the original design predates 16:9 standards.  I think I still had a CRT when I first bought Battlefield 2, upgrading from Battlefield 1942 and the Desert Combat Mod.  I suppose the idea is that the map is square, and the squad/kit box elements are plenty wide already, so blank space would exist no matter what on a wide monitor, with the map already as tall as the screen. There are nearly imperceptible ways to add some padding and margin control for that sort of GUI width based on the viewport, but that would be a lot of GUI work for very little payout.  It looks good, it functions great, and is no longer stretched and distorted when the monitor is wider than a 4:9.  Cheers to them!

+1 for bringing back map transparency, that would make for a nice slider in the options menu. Maybe also on the books for a later date? Hope it doesn't mess up you pilots too much! Could really use a persistent mini-map in air vehicles, with an MFD styled border/frame, and not taking up too much screen real estate but big enough to glance down at, arrow keys maybe to move it at various zoom levels... if possible, even make one or two of the MFD frame buttons work as toggles to maybe follow player in zoomed levels, or remain fixed.

There's only so much they can do, and only so much worth doing, who knows what the future holds and obviously they are still working hard to bring in new features and ideas after 16+ years, even if all of them don't get met with applause, and they still actively work to fix the bugs (even for COOP).

:hi: 

I'm a bit adjusting to most of it. At first I don't see the capping status until I realize it's in the bottom. The bar Increasing towards the enemy seem a bit weird, but then I realize it's a bar graph which represent that my territory is increasing. I don't like the weapons and squad joining pop up, if it's length can be increase a little more to make it look normal. With the map, i think reverting back to a transparency mode will be better to crewmen or pilots. 

In anycase, PR is still great and it will live forever. 

I actually like the new GUI. I don't care about the map transparency because I fly/drive with the minimap, open the map for a moment or just use my knowlege of the map. I still can see it being a problem for people who used to fly with it. The menus look good and I like that they are not stretched. I feel like HUDs in air vechicles are a bit better this way. I pretty much like all the changes except the removal of the mutiny button and number of players in the Caps menu.

Other that those two things, big thanks to the DEV team.

16 minutes ago, KilRoy- said:

BTW I failed to mention, I like that button to call for medics. I don't have to keep on making sounds calling repeatedly to remain visible in the map and to know if a medic is on the way to rescue me, calling by repeatedly pressing this buttons helps a lot. 

You mean the button that was there before but it was merged with "give up" button? It already was in the game you just had to right click to call for medic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tried it yesterday, things i like
+fresh
+speedy & more responsive map & mini map (

things i don't like / looked weird / need some getting used to
-opaque map

things that got my hopes high, stretched it, and ripped it apart (apparently it's just not there yet):
-better widescreen support --- tried this one with 5,760 x 1040 setup; the field of view displayed on the screen wasn't cropped anymore like it used to, buuut, the UI was still stretched, cockpit was missing, vehicles  & meshes disappeared slowly until most of them were gone leaving me with patchy ground meshes, shadow of the A10 i was riding, and nothing else *SAD*
#curbyourenthusiasm #ihaveadream

has anybody else try fiddling with ultrawide setup after the new update?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, =VG= BLuDKLoT said:

Hey thanks Sem. Not sure I like it, I have to login and see, but sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone. 

From what I understand, the R-DEV's had wanted to do this for some time but didn't have a valid method.  This is just them implementing things they'd wanted to do long ago, I guess.

I always played on a widescreen monitor, and never minded the stretching but it was noticeable.

2 hours ago, |*|>>RESCUE<<|*| said:

Guys do you know left down side pics problem ? Tunnel vision drive any fixes please or wait new fix update ?

I don't think it's a bug. It is supposed to look like this. It looks just like before the update, but it isn't stretched anymore. So you and everyone else need to get used to it.

• Thanks 2

nope nope nope...

I like to play in 1360x720 on 1920x1080 screen...

Now i need some time to get used to it, i crash 2-3 times in little bird and twice in huey because i lost sense of hely size when i fly between buildings :)

I tried switching to some others resolutions but its still 4:3 🤔

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, =AMPHETAMINE= said:

nope nope nope...

I like to play in 1360x720 on 1920x1080 screen...

Now i need some time to get used to it, i crash 2-3 times in little bird and twice in huey because i lost sense of hely size when i fly between buildings :)

I tried switching to some others resolutions but its still 4:3 🤔

Are we all talking about the same thing here? How is this new GUI hurting your ability to fly between buildings, an action that is performed with the GUI closed and hidden?

I was under the impression that we were discussing the elements on the GUI not being stretched to the wide-sides anymore, and also the mini-map not being transparent when brought up to view, and the fake DoF effect of blurred perimeter when ADS or using a rifle scope.  I just don't see where that is related to flying and sense of scale in 3D... apologies if I've missed something.

:dntknw:

• Upvote 1