Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Monitor suggestions

=VG= BLuDKLoT

Hi guys,

I've been looking at monitors and there are so many and then reading reviews just confuses me even more changes how I feel about them so I give up. I'm looking at least for 32" 1440p curved gaming monitor, does anyone have any thoughts on what I should look at? Here are some of my fav's so far.

1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFKSGRW/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

2. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LLD2QXJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

3. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FBS36W2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

4. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088MKF848/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

5. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WG3Z6W1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A13BNE3P7C8THK&psc=1

Are any of these decent and what would you buy? I'm tired of looking my head hurts. Thanks. Blud.

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of varying options between those, including the ultra-wides... Personally, I'm not a fan of the non-standard resolutions like the wide and curved options, so IMHO, if I was buying one of those 5 options, my money would go to the LG IPS Gaming Monitor - I've actually had my eyes on this one before, but $400 is beyond the old budget and my current Gaming Monitor is still going strong day after day.

It may be 'only' 27 inches, but that's plenty big enough.

(Number 2 is what I'd get) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LLD2QXJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I would definitely stay away from #3 and #5, since I don't consider 75-100Hz in the "gaming monitor" category, even if it says so in the name - fancy wide monitors don't impress me as much as high refresh and therefore potentially higher than 100FPS (if game settings/graphics card power allow it).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, =VG= BLuDKLoT said:

Again, I'm not a fan of the non-standard resolutions including the ultra-wides.  I still have desires to make gaming videos, maybe even stream, and so personally, I'd want something that will allow for translation to all the other 16:9 (or so) resolution ratios.  If I played a game on such a wide resolution, recording gameplay, when viewed on a standard non-ultra wide, there would be those large black letterbox bars or the size would be stretched and that's even worse.

Surely is a beast of a monitor, with a beast of a price, too - IMHO the sweet spot for gaming monitors is around $350-500 and 24-32" with at least 144Hz refresh, and preferably G-Sync (cuz I know we both do nVidia GFX cards).  TN vs IPS vs any other display technology aside, those are the numbers I personally look for when considering gaming monitors with good performance per price value.

Never done the research, tho - but there can be issues with *some* games if they do not support such a wide resolution, but luckily this is a rare issue... that being said, I'm a mainstream guy so I go for mainstream tech usually, talking standard 1080p resolution (my current gaming monitor) and maybe up to 1440p (standard, not ultra-wide).

4K is pretty expensive to run at high FPS, averages would likely be below 50FPS with my current setup, and likely will be for another 5 years - so 2K or 1440p are the only options I view as "the next step up" from 1080p Gaming Monitors, and either the same 144Hz (or higher).

Just my thoughts, I know we may have different goals or reasoning for what we want.  I've tried wide monitors, was not much of a fan, and I've tried triple monitors and didn't like the non-uniform transformations when moving on the side panels, they never link up correctly or they skew the image and it just looks dumb to me.

:hi: 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Samsung Odyssey G7 240hz monitor is a very good monitor, but I wouldn't pay $800 for it - not sure if you found a better price elsewhere.  BUT if that is the price range you're shopping in, it's a helluva monitor for sure.

Also, the other two you listed are specifically designed for AMD video cards, and while they'll work great with any Nvidia video card, there are specific sync options built in to work right out of the box for AMD video cards.  Those companies have nearly an exact version of the same monitor(s) designed with Nvidia in mind, too, and since those are out there, be looking for gaming monitors of that same type/brand/size/etc. with the tag "G-SYNC" .... sometimes they also have FreeSync, etc. - but if you find the version of a monitor purpose built to talk to your brand video card right out of the box, you don't have to do any leg work later if you want to use those brand-specific features.

:hi: 

So -- I'd say, I like #2 (the middle link) but if you could find it in a "G-SYNC" version

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, |*|>>RESCUE<<|*| said:

SAMSUNG is PROFESSIONAL. other brands use exaggerated features to sell themselves. Since Samsung is a television manufacturer, it is a company with more experience in display.

Yeah theyre professional over pricers lol. They may have the experience in TVs but other brans are still amazing for Gaming at half the price. Monitors are also very subjective, for loads of reasons. One monitor never has it all! So not one single monitor will suit everyone. However still a great monitor none the less

• Like 1

I have all samsung TV's in my house because they have the best picture so I went with the samsung. I bought it I'll pay it off when I get my check. Got the 4 year warranty too. Should get my pc next week finally and then I'll be good for another 5 years or so. Thanks for the help guys. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, =VG= BLuDKLoT said:

Hey how do i use the display port hook up? Does my mobo need that too? 

You'll absolutely need a Display Port cable, and like Keed said, it runs from the Display to the Graphics card.  It is the standard for monitors with refresh rates of 144Hz or higher and you're is a whopping 240Hz.  I'm not even sure if the latest revision of HDMI can do that if it wanted, but older HDMI was capped too low and took to long to upgrade, so Display Port was the one that came on scene faster and took the lead as the 'common' standard for high refresh rate video.

Also, don't get fooled by the hype:  no gold plated connections or anything fancy is needed (it's a shitty marketing gimmick, won't really hurt, but it's actually less optimal to plate connections in gold) - in the end any DP cable with the length you need is fine, and the shorter the better, just the distance you need with some slack for cleaning or moving the monitor around a bit, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

You'll absolutely need a Display Port cable, and like Keed said, it runs from the Display to the Graphics card.  It is the standard for monitors with refresh rates of 144Hz or higher and you're is a whopping 240Hz.  I'm not even sure if the latest revision of HDMI can do that if it wanted, but older HDMI was capped too low and took to long to upgrade, so Display Port was the one that came on scene faster and took the lead as the 'common' standard for high refresh rate video.

Also, don't get fooled by the hype:  no gold plated connections or anything fancy is needed (it's a shitty marketing gimmick, won't really hurt, but it's actually less optimal to plate connections in gold) - in the end any DP cable with the length you need is fine, and the shorter the better, just the distance you need with some slack for cleaning or moving the monitor around a bit, etc.

I actually read something yesterday saying polymer cables are the new "gold" standard.