Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Some Other Games with CO-OP Focus and military aesthetic.

VictorJulietGolf

Saw mention of a lot of games on here, including World in Conflict: MW Mod; really glad there's still a player base for gems like that, figured I'd share a few other games that might be interesting to yall:

The Wargame Series, developed by Eugen Systems:

My favorite Modern Warfare RTS; like Total War but modern day. The only thing WIC has over it is the fleshed out narrative for the campaign and the modding potential.

Wargame European Escalation: The first and hardest game in the series provides a trial by fire introduction to the franchise and contains all the key elements: The ability to zoom kilometers up into the air, hundreds of units under your command, incredibly detailed unit models, meticulous attention to the statistical differences between variants of the same vehicle, scalar sound effects that scale with your camera's proximity to the action, management of resources like fuel, munitions, and material, the importance of supply lines and combined arms tactics, as well as the establishment of the overall aesthetic of the series, which is 1970's to '90s Military Exercises leading into actual combat instead of ending, as well as a few other fantastical scenarios.

Wargame AirLand Battle: The second addition to the series finally adds Aerial Combat and a proper cooperative mode. It's the most popular choice for COOP out of the three Wargame titles because the AI in European Escalation was mostly scripted to fit the narrative; the AI in AirLand Battle is designed to kick your ass. Even two players will be challenged by the AI's tenacity and ability to counter your moves and units with airstrikes, helicopter gun runs, and artillery.

Wargame Red Dragon: The most refined gameplay experience in terms of graphic fidelity only. The game looks absolutely great at this point in the franchise, but the campaign is extremely lacking compared to the last two games, as it is essentially multiple games of skirmish with the AI, with a dash of strategy in the form of which units to bring to the Campaign. You're also able to slow the game down to a pause while in singleplayer, which allows you some reprieve against the AI's ability to see you units regardless of FOW. This entry also has the most populated online servers for competitive play, although the online community for the Wargame series is still relatively small.

The Steel Division Series, also by Eugen Systems:

Normandy '44 and Steel Division 2: The Steel Division series is the same as Wargame but now takes place during Historical WWII battles instead of hypothetical Cold War scenarios. Normandy comes off as a little more arcade-like than any other game in the series, but it's also one of the most fun. The scale of battle seems reduced but the MicroStrategy is at its best. 

Steel Division 2 is the only game that Eugen Systems still actively supports, and that support has been reduced pushing out $5 DLCs of reskinned units that modders could make if the studio would let them. The Scale of battle has been brought back up because the game now takes place in Russia, and mostly revolves around takes and aircraft over long distances rather than cannons and infantry in French Hedgerows.

Overall Criticisms: The UI changes between each game and its f*cking annoying. Luckily there are some constants in the equation and the UI improves with each entry in the series, but it really seems like the AI is always more capable than you. Eugen systems also seemed to be completely uncommunicative with their community as they developed their games, as certain features like the flesh out narrative and voice acting in European Escalation are all but gone in Red Dragon, only to make a comeback in Steel Division Normandy, then disappear again in Steel Division 2.

Overall Strengths: How detailed the units are and how many you can get on screen at one time. The game engine has the potential to portray at least 6 Divisions worth of personnel and equipment fighting it out over multiple square kilometers. No other game has matched their capability in this regard except the Total War series, who haven't made a more modern entry than Napoleon.

I recommend picking up Wargame whenever the Wargame Series Franchise Pack goes on sale, as the games are not worth their non-discounted prices after you've exhausted every game mode. Same goes for Steel Division Normandy '44, which is more akin to Company of Heroes. Steel Division 2 is balls (in my opinion).

I'll make more posts about more games in the future but seeing people mention World in Conflict as something they like really made me want to share this game, as my interest in WIC led me directly to it.

If you pick it up and want to try out some of the online features with someone whose familiar, drop me a line.

-G

• Like 2
  • VG Spirit 1
  • Upvote 4

I haven't played any of those I've never been a huge fan of WWII era games I like more modern era shit personally but I know a lot of guys here like those more vintage maps on PR especially. Wargame never stood out for me but I'll take another look. I'm pretty stuck on just a handful of games I still like or play. Can't seem to find one that I really just love but I'm still looking, BF6 has me hoping it might be something good. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, =VG= BLuDKLoT said:

I haven't played any of those I've never been a huge fan of WWII era games I like more modern era shit personally but I know a lot of guys here like those more vintage maps on PR especially. Wargame never stood out for me but I'll take another look. I'm pretty stuck on just a handful of games I still like or play. Can't seem to find one that I really just love but I'm still looking, BF6 has me hoping it might be something good. 

Ohh, finaly someone ask this...

Im reccomending Operation Flashpoint. Its so similar like squad, Arma and PR. Ground and air assets have awesome conrtols and sensitivity close to PR. I really reccomend you to check it out 😉

This game csn be our Project Reality 3

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, =AMPHETAMINE= said:

Im reccomending Operation Flashpoint. Its so similar like squad, Arma and PR. Ground and air assets have awesome conrtols and sensitivity close to PR. I really reccomend you to check it out 😉

@X0Rwill have a few words to say about this game. Maybe not Dragon Rising though

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, =VG= BLuDKLoT said:

BF6 has me worried. DICE never seems to be able to make up its mind about the focus of the game. I love Battlefield's destructible environments and dynamic sound system, plus the focus on vehicle and large scale gameplay. For some F*cking reason, DICE wants to compete with Call of Duty, which is glorified laser tag at this point, and their games constantly suffer from this competition. They alter weapon damage and ballistics like their tuning a legendary sword in a WOW patch. I'm hoping that they've taken enough hints from the MILSIM community to know where their strengths lay.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, =AMPHETAMINE= said:

I remember Flash Point being an attempt to bring the ARMA style of MILSIM to consoles. Never took off, especially since it released on the PS3 and 360, but it was still fun, and the only other shooter trying to compete with GRAW from what I remember. 

@Connor @=AMPHETAMINE=

• CODEMASTERS never released dev tools or dedicated servers for Red River which was locked to Games For Windows Live service not to mention the complete lack of support for true Multiplayer, with the only multiplayer support being 4 PLAYER COOP MAX, so yeah it was great single player fun, but for all intensive purposes this isn't a multiplayer game in actuality. Hell we'd be better off playing the REAL the ORIGINAL OFP:ColdWarAssault that blud mistook the imposter(i.e OFP by CODEMASTERS) posted here for, it's not pretty in the classical sense but no one played it for it's looks, with the ECP Modpack, it's still a brilliant & fairly decent looking game with the classic HunchBack animation fixed and with it's 255 Player optimal limit (3024Max) & 3024 AI max limit, it could be a better throwback similar to what BMS did for Falcon. O yeah, Dragon Rising never had dedicated servers with official servers shut down & even then only supported max 16 players, CODEMASTERS ruined the OfP brand with these garbage releases.

I do however indeed recommend World In Conflict MWMod & Wargame Red Dragon (unrelated to the stupid dragon mentioned above), some really good fun, i still play Wargame just to watch the CWIS go brtttttttttttttttt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, =VG= keed said:

At some point four years ago we had a somewhat small but addicted Wargame group. Eventually people got fed up with the AI cheating that the group dissolved like North Korean militia in napalm. 🤷‍♂️

At this point I'm more of a fan of the IRISZOOM and it's potential rather than the actual games. I wish the engine was more malleable to modding; the only real mods are for the Red Dragon Campaign mode and deck modifications. I would love to replay the WIC Campaign redone on the IRISZOOM engine, but I've been looking for WIC news for years and still nothing. I don't blame anyone for losing interest in Wargame either, Steel Division 2's roadmap doesn't hint at any return to the Cold War Era.

There is a game called Regiments that's due to release sometime this year. It looks a little arcade-like but it's the only Cold War RTS release I've seen in a hot minute.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, GRNANDGLD said:

Ive been watching out for early release on this one...

Operation: Harsh Doorstop on Steam (steampowered.com)

Wow Microprose still going. I remember Microprose Formula One game (Designed byGeoff Crammond) on Amiga back in the day . Was pretty dam good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, VictorJulietGolf said:

BF6 has me worried. DICE never seems to be able to make up its mind about the focus of the game. I love Battlefield's destructible environments and dynamic sound system, plus the focus on vehicle and large scale gameplay. For some F*cking reason, DICE wants to compete with Call of Duty, which is glorified laser tag at this point, and their games constantly suffer from this competition. They alter weapon damage and ballistics like their tuning a legendary sword in a WOW patch. I'm hoping that they've taken enough hints from the MILSIM community to know where their strengths lay.

We can hope!! 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GRNANDGLD said:

Operation: Harsh Doorstop on Steam (steampowered.com)

It looks just like Squad - judging by the short trailer on the Steam store page. They also wrote free + avoid of micro transactions, which rings off some alarm bells in my head. How will they make money? What constitutes micro transactions? Maybe bot support?? :)

• Upvote 1