Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar (1998 ver)

JudgeDredd

Hello All,  is there anyone utilizing the HOTAS Cougar in this forum ? The calibration process is becoming a bear, the foxy software, the setting up of the functions etc.   Finally have BMS 4.34 running in windows10, now want to get the HOTAS running in the game.  If there is a spot in the forums I have not found, please move this to the forum location admins 🙂 ....

Looking for info in the problems some of you might have overcame.  

JD

Hi JD. I have a Thrustmatser HOTAS Cougar also and had also calibaration issues. There a two ways to have the Cougar working flawless with BMS:

Before launching BMS one with Foxy CCP

Launching BMS without using Foxy CCP first

With Foxy:

01. Launch Foxy and calibarate the Cougar manually. Use in Foxy 'HOTAS view to test axess and buttons' (menu bar: Cougar).

02. Everytime and BEFORE you launch Falcon BMS run Foxy CCP and make sure the 'Emulation' button is green and 'User Mode' is selected and click on 'Apply' (see picture 01)

03. Launch Falcon and select 'BMS Full' as the key profile

04. In Setup>Avionics set the cougar to the configarations as the picture shows (I have 'Toe Brake Rigth' reversed, but that's a personal choice)

Do a test fligth and the Cougar should work fine

* Disadvatage when using this methode; you do not have the full callbacks as the emulation 'overwrites' this and there is no profile in the Cougar loaded (tmm and tmj files)

Without Foxy:

01. Go to: 'C:\Falcon BMS 4.35\Docs\01 Input Devices\03 HOTAS Setup\TM Cougar (Dunc_DX)' and open: Quick Setup Guide.txt

02. Follow the steps in the Setup Guide. Note: when downloading the Dunc_DX tmm and tmj files to the cougar make sure 'Program' is green (see picture)

03. Configure the Avionics as is written in point 4 in the tab above

04. Launch Falcon and in Setup> Advance choose Dunc-DX key profile (with MFD in case you have MFD's as hardware)

05. Click IN (!) Falcon BMS on 'Apply'. YOU MUST CLICK ON APPLY BEFORE YOU ENTER THE 3D WORLD EVERYTIME (if you don't press Apply, before you choose a TE or a Campaign it can be that you don't have the radar cursors available and you see this occure after you're airborn

Now you have all the callbacks present

Please refer for more detailed information about the Dunc_DX profiles: 'C:\Falcon BMS 4.35\Docs\01 Input Devices\03 HOTAS Setup' and open 'BMS Device Setup Guide' and go to page 11.

Saturday I join the Falcon 4.35 training mission (see the Calander of VG), so I be on TS3. If you still have issues you can contact me there.

Regards!

01.jpg

7-AVIONICS CONTROL.png

02.jpg

• VG Seal of Approval 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Mokum &  VG Kavelenko, 

Thank You both for wanting to help me, although I am not gaining any ground, my technical reading comprehension has seemed to be challenged in regards with the software.    I have calibrated it (tried) through Hotas CCP & FOXY and am not getting any reading on the "Z" axis.  I then opened up the throttle up and everything was pristine, the boards, movement, connections and well greased.   All the buttons work on the Throttle & Stick.  

I am sure, other than the "Z" numbers, I am probably not understanding the process, and doing it correctly, but I assure you once I get it down I will have it 🙂 .

If you want to correspond with me via email, and not spend endless typing in here please email me at Enforcir@gmail.com 

Ceece "JD" Coburn

Hi JudgeDredd,

Mokum and I will be on Team Speak tomorrow night at 14:00:00 ZULU (see the clock on the home page of this site), between us we could get you on the way.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:45 AM, MOKUM said:

Saturday I join the Falcon 4.35 training mission (see the Calander of VG), so I be on TS3. If you still have issues you can contact me there.

11 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

Hi JudgeDredd,

Mokum and I will be on Team Speak tomorrow night at 14:00:00 ZULU (see the clock on the home page of this site), between us we could get you on the way.

I think I read this late ?? I see your in Australia.... no worries I can be online in the wee hours EST time too..... Time on Deck (12 Feb21 @ 14:06 hrs EST). Now I have to figure out how to get on "Your" Teamspeak,  lol.   JD

• Upvote 1

Download and install the Team Speak Client from:

https://www.teamspeak3.com/support/teamspeak-3-install.php

Find and Connect to the Veterans-Gaming TS server:

https://www.teamspeak3.com/support/teamspeak-3-connect-to-server.php

The IP address for Veterans TS server is here:

https://veterans-gaming.com/game-servers/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,   well this is kinda funny,  as I started out to try to calibrate my TM HOTAS Cougar, map the keys and try to get online (in air) has since turned into "Repair Mode".  After much reading on a few sites, I concluded that my "Pots" was the issue with the "Z" calibration (numbers not reading sufficiently during calibration sequence forward or aft in the process).  So I contacted Thrustmaster-Europe and discovered they sell the "Kit", so I have that enroute and on another site I located a part number and company to order the "pots" (no wires or clips) and just got 5 of them today.  Now I have to get the soldering iron out and the glue to see if I can get my existing one in the Throttle to work.  The picture below is the existing one wired in and the new unit to it's (right).... More to come Gents.  JD

IMG_6371.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/28/2021 at 9:35 AM, MOKUM said:

So,,, JugdeDredd.... how is it going with the Cougar? It's been a while 🙂

Hello Sir,   Thank You for checking in on me.  I was about to attempt the soldering of the POTS in my throttle of the HOTAS back in May 2021, but wife decided she wanted to live on a lake, so off to Indiana we went (1/3rd the Taxes) too.  We are almost settled in and, moved here in June.  So I am still un packing, all my Hotas items packaged in a box clearly marked HOTAS 🙂 .

We should have Broadband by May/June 2022 and I'll be able to get back at it.  

JD

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ok, nice to live in Indiana (lower taxes) and even on a lake. Good choice of your wife :-). Please keep me posted as soon as you have the HOTAS up and running. Regards from Amsterdam. BTW, I can't sleep. Had too many Irish (very strong) coffee and ususaly I drink just 2 decaf a day, So I get out of bed and checking in on VG.

• 10 months later...

=VG= Kavelenko,  Sir update.... I was able to find a NEW in box, still in plastic, never used Hotas Cougar, been flying with limited configuration on stick/throttle.  I think I have stuff missing from the files or in the wrong spots.  I am getting closer, thanks to Mokum. 🙂 

• Upvote 1

@JudgeDredd Sounds like you've made a start with your new Cougar. Configuration used to be a pain for me too with the Warthog but  ever since I started using the Alternative Launcher program written by chihirobelmo, its been super simple to map my HOTAS now. Don't need TARGET software either.

• Upvote 1