Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

BF3 project reality

Vanillapop

I believe this is based on Venice Unleashed, which is a mod that people have been working on for few years. Therefore, the mod in the video is basically a mod within a mod, per se. Once Venice Unleashed releases, which is December from when I checked it last time, you can modify the color saturation (therefore no more blue tint that BF3 is infamous for), sprint function, weapon recoil, suppression, and other game-related stuff. When they're saying that it is basically a BF3 version of PR, they're pretty accurate about the description because that's how PR started. A modification of existing game.

Here is the Q&A from Venice Unleashed's official website, if you're curious:

What are the requirements to play this?

VU supports computers running Windows 7 SP1 and newer. To play, you'll need a legit, licensed, and up-to-date version of BF3 installed on your computer, along with the VU client.

Do I need to own Battlefield 3 to use this?

Yes. You need a legit, licensed, and up-to-date version of BF3 installed in order to use VU and you will also be required to link your Origin account with your VU account the first time you launch it, so we can verify your ownership of the game. VU does not and never will work with cracked or pirated copies.

Do I also need the DLCs?

Not necessarily. You need the DLCs to play in servers using DLC content as you would in the vanilla game.

Will I get banned for using this?

No. VU functions separately from vanilla BF3, uses its own servers, and does not modify any game files. That means that you can just launch BF3 like you normally would through Battlelog and it's like VU was never there. Any changes to your game data are performed at your discretion with the use of third party mod tools.

Are my Battlelog stats transferred over?

No. Your VU profile is independent from your Battlelog profile. There's no progression and everything is unlocked for everyone by default.Is it legal?Yes. VU does not modify nor distribute any EA/DICE assets and functions separately from the vanilla BF3 client. VU is fully legal under EU interoperability laws.

And..... their own version of trailer so that people can see what it is capable of:

idk what all the fuss is over this one tbh, it really wont do anything SQUAD won't eventually if not already, it's little more than a technical achievement, albeit an impressive one, insane how they(Venice Unleashed) got it to work without modifying the game.

Now if it was for Battlefield Bad Company 2, well, the world would have come to an end,me with it, but BF3, mehhh.

Venice Unleashed is a modding platform which allows BF3 to be modded, and the BF3 PR team uses this platform to make BF3:Realitymod. I'm excited to see what they come up with. VU isn't released yet, so the BF3PR team seems to work closely with them already to make a PR for that game. Most agree that this mod has huge potential but currently it's infantry-only AFAIK, so the experience can't be compared to BF2PR. No idea how long it will take to put in the vehicles, but I guess it won't be very soon.

Another headscratcher is this quote from their own video description: "Reality Mod requires a legit copy of Battlefield 3 as well as all DLCs. Works with both Steam and Origin versions."

For me currently that's 40 euros at least. If it's a great game then I'm sure it's worth it, but it really needs to impress me first.

Also @X0R A reason people are excited is because BF3 Realitymod will run on Frostbite, rather than Squad's Unreal Engine. BF3 comes with much lower system requirements for smooth gameplay. Also apparently Frostbite has better performance in some areas (especially environment destruction) but I know nothing about them specifically tbh.

I'm curious to see if either BF3:PR or Squad would eventually become the 'next PR', but both have a long ways to go if they ever want to match up :D 

This mod doesn't really excite me at all. From a modders stand point it's probably great but it doesn't really add much. Just seems like a sandbox atm, and i know it's very early stages but BF3 seems odd for a reality mod, I don't think it will work. But then again vanilla BF2 seems impossible to make realistic and it turned out great, so we will see

• Upvote 1