Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Military perceptions

Vanillapop

So I am currently in the process of joining the canadian forces, communications reserch operator, combat engineer & intelligence officer are the three postings I applied for.

The weird thing is what my friends and family think of it, for one alot of them thought that the military does not pay you when you become a member, I was baffled when I heard that and then I asked more and more people if they thought so, and yup they thought you dont get paid.

Just wondering if any of you had friends who thought so too? Maybe this is why alot of people are not intrested and are just miss-informed?or it's just a canadian culture thing.

Alot of my friends also though the only thing the military does is infantry stuff and killing and that just scared the shit out of some people, like there are alot of trades and jobs in the military then just fighting.

Have any of you vets or military members experienced this?

• Like 2

That seems like a weird way to look at it...

Why would someone join the military and put their life at risk for free? Sure there are people that are patriotic enough to do anything for their country but at that point becoming a factory worker does basically the same thing but you get paid.

I usually hear the oposite, that if you become a police officer or a soldier you get paid a lot, it's just that you wont have time or luxury needs to spend that money on, specially if you are single. Or at least is what I think of it.

Exactly what I thought, I dont know why these guys though this way, probably dont have a clue about life in the army.

If anything it's more benfitial then most civilian jobs, medical/dental 20 vacations days for a private right off the bat, paid education, and alot more with a minimum 35k (CAD) starting salary while you're in basic and it just goes up from there.

I think it's the same in many other nations. Here in GER if you say you are in the Bund then you will be looked at a bit weirdly. Not neccararily hostile. Soldiers in uniform are a rare sight and there are next to no official military parades. If anything there is only negative press about it. Right wing extremism in KSK, responsiveness of Luftwaffe is very slow, increased budget because of NATO membership (BTW our plastic rifle is fine, just used outside its specific parameters!!). I personally have nothing against people who are in the military in general. I might even be very interested in first hand accounts of stories.

5 hours ago, =VG= Vanillapop said:

the only thing the military does is infantry stuff and killing and that just scared the shit out of some people, like there are alot of trades and jobs in the military then just fighting.

In a way every trade is meant to support the infantry stuff and killing... The disconnect lies deeper in the mind of citicens that never experienced indirect or direct thread of conventional war. Generations like mine are used to the idea of constant peace. Maybe it's like with IT in companies: "Why do we need them? All systems are working fine."

• Upvote 1

In Belgium, at least among my friends, being in the military is seen as a job like any other but with a slight twist. People will be curious on why you joined the military, if you ever killed someone, and will generally think of it as an 'interesting' topic. Most don't know what happens within the barracks but they do know that the military offers a ton of education opportunities as well as nation-wide benefits for services, public transport etc.

Almost every Belgian knows that you get paid from day 1 in the military, regardless of your position or whether you're taking an education there or just combat training.

Younger generations are generally more opposed to the military, because they are used to 'pure peace' like Keed mentioned.

Surely depends on the country, but the thing that really hits home is that it is an underpaid career.... soldiers putting their lives on the line to defend the sovereignty of their nations for often minimum wage pay.  Similar to law enforcement, a certain degree of duty and sacrifice is part of service, and with that comes a lower wage than one would make in the private sector performing same/similar tasks.

I heard a General suggest once that all Amercians should have a mandatory year or two of service (not necessarily in the military, could even be building homes or cleaning after natural disaster) to their nation directly after High School, but in the same manner that the military does (takes you across the country far from home, even if there was a base near where you lived/joined up).  This gives perspective, worldliness, and the concept of duty and service to something greater than oneself, and to one's brothers and sisters sacrificing a small portion of their lives alongside each other.  Probably never happen, but it was good to hear it suggested.

Whatever you choose, Vanilla, stay safe and stay strong!  All your online friends here will be with you in spirit on every hill, up every rope, and on every mile you run.  :drinks: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1