Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

PR COOP Server Reports thread 1.6

BinkleDinkle

1 hour ago, Johnny__Rico said:

You guys should really look into updating the server to Windows 95, it works like a charm.

59 minutes ago, Golden said:

Or maybe even Windows 98.

:tatice_03:

If only it was some sort of instability on the server or server OS, then we could actually do something directly for you all.  Feel bad for ya, but it's not the dedicated server we run or the server OS - that thing is rock solid, hardware and software.  We've been doing this for ten years now and we have some professional (career) technicians looking after the hardware side of VG.  PR COOP on the other hand.... I dropped 5 crash dump files and a 1500kb python errors log to the Devs just this afternoon.  They use these to work out the kinks and fix issues like crashes, etc.  All we can do is have patience knowing they are working on it, actively, and are attentive to client crash issues as much as map/level crash issues.

:drinks:  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

:tatice_03:

If only it was some sort of instability on the server or server OS, then we could actually do something directly for you all.  Feel bad for ya, but it's not the dedicated server we run or the server OS - that thing is rock solid, hardware and software.  We've been doing this for ten years now and we have some professional (career) technicians looking after the hardware side of VG.  PR COOP on the other hand.... I dropped 5 crash dump files and a 1500kb python errors log to the Devs just this afternoon.  They use these to work out the kinks and fix issues like crashes, etc.  All we can do is have patience knowing they are working on it, actively, and are attentive to client crash issues as much as map/level crash issues.

:drinks:  

Just messin' around Sem, thanks for your hard work guys. VG will always be the best cooperative server on PR. Cheers! 

@=VG= SemlerPDX I have a theory that the reduced bot count leads to a faster bot reaction time overall, as the game has less bots to manage. This behavior is also seen on other games with bots like Payday 2. Further experimentation would be required, of course, but currently the way the bots only hang around the final few flags is very boring. I hope some work can be done on spawn prioritization!

2 hours ago, Carkidd said:

@=VG= SemlerPDX I have a theory that the reduced bot count leads to a faster bot reaction time overall, as the game has less bots to manage. This behavior is also seen on other games with bots like Payday 2. Further experimentation would be required, of course, but currently the way the bots only hang around the final few flags is very boring. I hope some work can be done on spawn prioritization!

Servers run similar to clients, in this case being separate client-server processing, whereas bots in Payday 2 would be hosted by whoever is running the match and synced across multiple players.  Game servers are processed in frames, similar to graphical Frames Per Seconds of a client but containing data cycles and not graphics output cycles, usually in a way that limits the clients maximum FPS if the server is chugging along and not processing frames at a high enough rate.

So, what I'm saying is that reaction time of Bots, and I could be wrong (I don't know how AI or data is processed in BF2:PR), if linked to every frame processed, is in a matter of milliseconds, give or take a few either way.  There could be any number of reasons for bad or undesirable behavior not linked to number of Bots, like you said, direct experimentation would be required to come to any logical conclusion and it might be redundant anyway unless this was needed and/or useful to anyone who actually works on the game (as in R-DEV/CON).

• 2 weeks later...