Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

No sound on my PC

Hoops0320

Hey i was wondering if anyone here knows how to fix this problem. 

Woke up this morning and the sound wasnt working at all, and as far as im aware there where no updates to the drivers and OS overnight so i am very confused.

I have been trying to fix the problem for a couple of hours now and nothing has lead to success. 

I have tried all the basics, muting and unmuting, unplugging and plugging my headset, just restarting the PC and i have updated and reinstalled the Nvidia drivers multiple times. There may be some more things i have done but at this point i just dont know what to do anymore.

Please any help would be truly appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Hoops

1 minute ago, Hoops0320 said:

i am using Nvidia  high definition audio

as far as i know you only use it if you have connected a device to an hdmi/dvi/displayport at your graficcard.
if you use analog audio you should use the onboard sound card. often realtek. if you use usb,  your headset is the sound card and either has no driver because it is class compliant or has its own driver.

But i could also be wrong.

• Upvote 1

Glad you got it sorted!  Windows updates can often be the culprit for many things.  It's best to have a backup schedule that is timed for the end of the month, as new Windows Updates roll out near the beginning of each month, with major overhaul updates on a more annual basis, like the 1909 Fall Update (which messed up a few files for some folks until it got sorted).

General rule is to constantly have file backups, and to update your system image and restore point items if you use them at the end of every month, so you're prepared for a start-of-the-month update issue. 

YOU WILL need to get those updates eventually, you can't stay rolled back like this forever, but with any luck the issue will get patched and sorted (cuz when these things happen to us, it's likely that many with similar equipment/programs will get it too).  Might want to google more on this issue in a few days or a week to see if any progress has been made or if others have found solutions or whatever.

Also note this tool for later - fixed issues for me more than one when I was facing a full Windows Reinstall to recover from issues:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1