Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

DL(DataLink) what is it?

=VG= Kavelenko

HI Guys,

Can anyone explain to me what Datalink is in BMS and how do I use it. The only reference I could find in the BMS Training Manual was a short sentence saying that Datalink is not implemented in BMS but a few people have mentioned it in game. They want me to send them a DL (Datalink), what exactly is this thing?

It meant that the AGM-88 Datalink mode isn't supported. The Datalink is covered in the -34, section 1.4 and is pretty straightforward. It's used it to transmit aircraft position as well as A-A and A-G targets.

To initiate A-A datalink, hold and release comms left for a single update, or press "ASGN" first in the A-A FCR to change to continuous mode to run repeating updates. A-A datalink will allow you to manually assign targets to flight members (1-2-3-4 on A-A FCR) as well as show contacts from other flight members automatically.

A-G datalink (comms right) can either be used to transmit A-G FCR cursor position when FCR is selected, or to transmit your current steerpoint whenever your HSD is selected. When receiving steerpoints, they're automatically stored as steerpoints 71 through 80, and the message on the HUD when you receive one will tell you which number to switch to (MKPT# DATA, see page -34, page 43).

• Upvote 4

The Training Manual does not cover all subjects and concepts, just a "sampler platter" of what is required for the included lessons - it is not the complete picture.  When I cannot find information on a subject, I open 4 PDF documents and use the CTRL+F find function for the subject -- refer to the BMS- Training manual, the BMS-Manual, the TO-BMS1F-16CM-1  (referred to as the "Dash One" manual), and the TO-BMS1F-16CM-34-1-1  (referred to as the "Dash Thirty-Four" manual).

In this case, the info on this subject begins (coincidentally, I assure you) on page 34 of the Dash 34:

dl.PNG

• Upvote 1