Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Battlefield 3 lead platform was on consoles after all

PITN

Betrayed. !fuk

http://bf3blog.com/2011/11/battlefield-3-lead-platform-was-on-consoles-after-all/

Battlefield 3 lead platform was on consoles after all

On November 2nd, 2011 in News

Throughout the marketing and promotion of Battlefield 3, developer DICE insisted that the PC was the lead platform for Battlefield 3 development, but now that the game is out, we?ve gotten the truth: according to DICE?s Karl-Magnus Troedsson in a new interview, the lead platform for Battlefield 3 was switched to consoles in ?mid development?, in order to meet the release date.

?We said originally that the PC was the lead SKU of the game, but in mid-production we switched to console as lead platform to make sure we could get all the versions done for release,?

This explains many of the odd design decisions in the PC version, for example, the game menu and load-out layout is identical to consoles but looks too compressed and unintuitive on the PC ? a result of it being developed for consoles and ported to the PC.

Despite what the ?lead platform? was, Battlefield 3 was released on time and was well received from critics, gathering positive reviews from most publications.

ByDavid Nielsen

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well recieved from critics.....
The critics of the game I listen to are players, and many of them have problems, some still.

I also hear rumors about many who pre-ordered and had more than payment to Origin for the game, and that when they complain about this overcharging/duplicate charging, they come back to find they have been banned by Origin from every Origin game, and their accusations are called lies.

=VG= Outlanders LAN_WROTE ...

I don't think it's Dice's fault.
EA got the money so, developers more like slaves nowadays.

EA is notorious for this kind of shit. Activision is no better, hell, most producers are just in it for the money. The only goal of the developers is to make a good game. However, when you have a producer at your throat every minute of the development process, you cant always achieve that goal. It said in the article that they switched the engine halfway through development..what you see here is DICE trying to make it their way and getting shafted by EA. They wouldnt just randomly switch from PC engine to console engine (that seems like it'd be a shitload of work to convert everything mid-job), and it said they had to meet a time restraint (EA).

Oh, and Origin is purely EA trying to steal market share from Valve (Steam) and other digital distrubutors...i don't support Origin or battlelog one bit.

ive enjoyed the game, but yeah, it could be better. I feel like its a vast improvement over BC2 gameplay wise, but its still got that same kind of feel where everyone camps around, abuses certain loadouts, and such.

lol this is turning into a fucking essay..well..as a last note, i'm really fucking excited for the Karkand map pack...hopefully it'll bring some nostalgia into BF3...things like the karkand pack are dice's way of saying "Sorry about the console shit, but heres some BF2 nostalgia for you!".

lol one more thing...this is the reason that im not having anything to do with game development...i'm pursuing a degree in computer science, but i dont want to have to deal with this shit!

=VG= BLuDKLoT LAN_WROTE ...

For anyone that still cares there is a new config for the server settings, should take only 2 people to start and still fill quick match joins as well. If you've got the join our server and try it out. Cheers.

Nope, still needs 8 just like |ax| server we also tried to edit config so i only takes 2 people to start so far no

Yea, this is an administrative problem from EA, not DICE and their development team. The got raped just as bad as the people who were charged twice for the game, who upon calling to complain, were promptly kicked out of the sleezy motel room without even getting cab fare or a decent chance to reapply their lipstick and eyeliner.

This is just like what happened to Indiana Jones in Peru.
!fuk