Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Free & Cheap Games

Robotfungus

Here is a couple of places that i thought you might be interested in.

First is Abandonia.com a site that stores many old retro games that have been abandoned (Abandonware is computer software which is no longer being sold or supported by its copyright holder)

Old crusty gamers like me should be able to find many of the old titles that take us back to what was a pioneering age of computer games. Getting them to run on modern systems can be a times a little tricky, but with DOSbox and other emulators, its fairly easy.

Secondly there is Desura, a download service that has many Indie games, and mods for the larger titles such as like Battlefield 2 / BF2142 / Crisis etc, i personally have used Desura to install Project Reality / Forgotten Hope 2 / Eve of destruction, all where one-click installs. Desura also supports many new games looking for alpha funding to get them off the ground.

Hope you find something of interest here.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Thank you! that abandonia is amazing! Already found 3 lost titles from ages past - great links!
And, Desura indeed rocks! It downloaded and installed that EoD mod for me in less than 20 minutes (true story: it installed while the manual-installation mod was still slowly downloading from a popular game site. Desura won the speed test!)

!2cool

I downloaded a lot of games on abandonia - too bad you really need to fiddle a lot with dosbox to get some of them running in decent fps, with the right sound and everything. - it was worth the time though.
also i think there are games with great story that just need to be redone in better graphic and they'll be kickass - even better than 99% of the bestsellers from 2000 until now.

Outlanders =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

You can also get old games at gog http://www.gog.com/. Those games are pretty cheap and they have a lot of them. Dosbox is already there and it's set with settings for each game. There's also game manuals, soundtracks and some other nice stuff that comes in the package.

i just saw ultimaVII there... wasnt that already relesased as abandonware? they're currently selling it.... sounds strange to me...

They aren't "released" as abandonware. And gog has right to sell those games. Check this
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/109/Ultima+VII+-+Part+1+-+The+Black+Gate.html
Abandonia doesn't have Ultima, they are selling it through gog.
Well, anyway, their games have no DRM, so if you know how, you can get them without paying.

Robotfungus =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

nice find Outlanders , gog.com has does indeed have alot of great games there. I signed up, got 8 free games including "beneath a steel sky" its comic book style artwork really took me back, and considering i never actually completed it, maybe i will 19 years after i first started playing it.

Thanks !

Beneath a Steel Sky is amazing!

Pvt. Pirate LAN_WROTE ...

didnt know the ultima series isnt abandonware (yet).

Ultima belongs to Electronic Arts, so it will never be dropped, even if they won't make new games.