Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

[poll] New Website

=VG= Solar

Hi guys

I'll try to keep this short since my posts can get quite long. Let me list some problems below.

You may have noticed the website, especially the forums, are broken and basic functionality you would expect from a website isn't there. There are a number of reason for this, but we've been unsuccessful in trying to fix.

The site uses an outdated, no longer actively developed CMS. This means we don't get bug fixes or security patches. This also makes it hard to use documentation as a way to fix thing because the community around the software is mostly dead too.

They have released a V2 but its not compatible with V1. A lot of work would be required to port it.

I've posted a number of times in the admin forums and there has been a lot of discussion on what we should do. Unfortunately, even if we agree on something we don't have the resources at the time to actually implement what we're trying to do.

My plan would be to ditch our current website and move to something called invision board. This is commercial forum/community software that requires us to purchase a license. It would include support and is actively developed by professional developers. Bug fixes and security patches are released often as soon they are discovered.

My plan would be to buy this software, port the users and forum content over and start fresh on the new software. This would mean we would have all our user accounts and forum posts. We might lose things like our rank, medals, PMs and personalization's made to your profile. I think having a forum that actually works, without having to wrestle with it just to post a youtube video is much more important.

Invision board will cost about $150-$175 for the license. I have created a paypal donation link so people can donate any amount of money, until we reach our goal of about $150. I can then fire up a VM and start porting stuff across. You are welcome to check out the software before you contribute anything.

Invision Power https://www.invisionpower.com/

Donate Link https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=TB2YUUWU8CUEW

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll reply or possibly add the information to this post.

I've kept this separate from the regular donations page because its not really a running cost, its just a one off cost of the site. Its also easier if the money comes to my account and I can just buy what I need when/if the time comes.

You might decide you don't want to move site, or you don't want to donate. That's fine. Although if we do chose to stay with this site it'll never get fixed. There is no pressure to donate even if you do want to move. This is simply here so there is a place people can donate if they're interested in investing in a new VG. Even if it takes 6 months to a year to get the money, at least we've got the ball rolling and we can eventually move away.

Let me know if you've got any questions,

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WhiteWolf LAN_WROTE ...

(but does anyone really care what I say/think? I don't think so :-\

I do, Wolf. I do.

I've used Xenforo before and I don't really have anything negative to say about it. If anyone frequents the Deployment server group PR Teamwork Alliance [PRTA], that's what their forum is powered by. Clean and UI is easy on the eyes. Unfortunately I can't say much about Invision - I don't think I've used any forums made with that.

Can we please keep a theme that is light text color on dark background? I've always loved it like this, instead of those white-wall forums with black text... details like that are probably not high on the list of priorities, but I just wanted to see if we're all in agreement with this simple theme element...
!hi

SemlerPDX =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Can we please keep a theme that is light text color on dark background? I've always loved it like this, instead of those white-wall forums with black text... details like that are probably not high on the list of priorities, but I just wanted to see if we're all in agreement with this simple theme element...
!hi

most of the time i can't read white text on black, my eyes are not that great.
little bigger font help :-)

Damnit, I already started the design in dark brown and purple!!

Don't worry guys. I'll install it with the stock theme, port data over that is compatible with new system and then we can have a look and start to hunt for other themes and changes the cosmetics around. Right now is just about getting the back end all set up.

SolarFlame =VG= LAN_WROTE ...

Damnit, I already started the design in dark brown and purple!!

Don't worry guys. I'll install it with the stock theme, port data over that is compatible with new system and then we can have a look and start to hunt for other themes and changes the cosmetics around. Right now is just about getting the back end all set up.

Glad to hear that, can you keep us updated with pictures and such :) ?