Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

BMS 4.37 & Hotas Cougar

JudgeDredd

Alright Gent's,  almost at wits end with this Hotas Cougar and the Software,   have BMS installed correctly,  all operates as it should.  Brand New Hotas Cougar plugged into a practically new I9 Computer,  Windows 10 PRO identifies the Set-up,  bot the Stick/Rudders identified, and are in "OK" status.   Go in to BMS 4.37 and the Setup again is identified in BMS, antennas, Range buttons on the Throttle calibrate, POV on Joystick identifies.   I choose  Basic DX TM Cougar as a key file,  save it, apply it.  And when I start to test the buttons I get a a message "Input" Button 149, No Function Assigned WTF there are not even that many buttons on the Hotas Cougar Joystick & Throttle Combined ????   This set up worked in 4.36, but now not in this newest version .   Has anybody experienced this issue ?  Have uninstalled the game, reinstalled the game, ran reg-edit,  reinstalled HOTAS drivers, done a hard reset on Joystick (Firmware).  Any help is appreciated.

JD

• Upvote 1

Can you get the stick and throttle quadrants to work in 4.37 setup page? Drop by tonight in TS at 20:00:00 ZULU and I might be able to help. I just tried loading the DX TM Cougar profile and it pretty much did the same thing for me, so I re-loaded my latest profile and everything was back to normal. Sounds to me like you have the most important things working which are that the BMS app is reading your HOTAS stick and throttle quadrants.

I've read on the BMS forums that some guys claimed they imported their key files from 4.36.3 into 4.37 and that worked for them which is something you could try but I would back up the entire config folder before doing so just in case it screws something up.

If that doesn't work then perhaps look at mapping everything from scratch manually which is what I do, works every time. I have my layout profile with all the DX switch mappings and I just following that, using the "BMS - Full" key file. What happens is when you click on the axis and key mapping section in the launcher, it automatically generates a new key file named "BMS - Auto" from that file, you use the alternative launcher to set and bind all your keys. You could try a hack and rename the DX TM Cougar key file to "BMS - Full", then click on the launcher and that will auto generate your new key file named "BMS - Auto" but it will be based on the Cougar profile, that's probably the quickest way to automate the process, otherwise I'd do it manually.

• Like 2

Kav'  Thank you for your reply, it's comforting that someone else experienced this problem and was a be to work through it.   Mokum & Netraider have been working on it with me yesterday.   Both Netraider & Mokum have their Hotas working under 4.37 currently, and well it looks like my system wants to be a bit different.  it's 14:25 hrs here, so I will try to be on TS at 20:00 Zulu   Sir.

JD

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well....... I had to log on and give a BIG shout out to Kavelenko & Starkes today.  I know all want to help others in these FORUMS, and as soon as I have the knowledge in BMS/Setup & Operations I will do the same for others.  But I must tell you, these two as well as Mokum are exceptional not only internet flyers, but great instructors in this gaming community.  I have gotten to know them,  they came online today and helped Netraider and I with out TM Cougar "Woes", and now we are operational, and beginning out training regiment.  I thank you all very much.   Have a wonderful day wherever you are in this big world guys..... JD :rap:

• Like 2
  • VG Spirit 1
  • Thanks 1

@JudgeDredd @Netraider You guys are very welcome, so great to meet up with fellow pilots who are real keen on Falcon BMS, with your former experience in Falcon it certainly wont be long before you are destroying enemy jets and battalions galore! I was just digging around in the docs folder of my BMS installation and came across some layouts that you both may be interested in. If you haven't already downloaded them you could edit these .PDF files to record the call-backs you have set today. I noticed most of them on the layout are out by one DX position i.e. Dogfight Switch - DF override - DX:24.
The Cougar Print layout can be found here: D:\Falcon BMS 4.37\Hotas\TM Cougar\HOTAS Print Layout.pdf

image.png.cefbc903fa1798860a7c2b30e30bd3fd.png

The MFD's that @Netraider intends to set up in RTT are here: D:\Falcon BMS 4.37\Hotas\TM Cougar\TM Cougar MFDs\MFD Print Layout.pdf

image.png.a755eb80e1905b471c41af8512268ef2.png

Good luck with the training this week, as you know Stark and I will be on the server next weekend, same time. Maybe we'll be able to fly a few sorties together, that would be awesome! We had a lot of fun sorting you guys out, I remember how complicated it was for us too. Well done!! Kudos to @MOKUM too for being such a great help with your Cougar setups.

Kav

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MOKUM said:

Upfront information: I have mapped all the buttons/knobs and switches so far and looks good in the 3D-world. The only key that is not working is the Pinky (DX shift callback). This picture shows how i've mapped the Pinky;

Yes that's one of the issues with AL, because the pinky switch is now the main DX SHIFT control a side effect is that you lose the original pinky switch functions. You can prove that by using the "V" on your keyboard, I think this has already been raised with the Dev who created AL. One solution is to use Target to create a long press but I'm not really interested in using TARGET myself, so I've mapped the original pinky switch call back as a shift combination with the CMS UP button. Its a bit ironic that I'm using the pinky switch to control the pinky switch lol.

image.png.f669e19fc245b4030163546f824b1174.png

Scrub all that, I dont know what the hell I'm talking about. Just found some info from the old forum. To work the pinky switch functions its a tap and release, when its held in it acts as a SHIFT button.

If you have it set like this in AL its fine.

image.png.33cc8ad51f946bd9c22af477366c54ca.png

https://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/content.php?153-DirectX-Shifting-Facility

Mapping the Shift Button

The callback name for the DX button that should act as shift button is:

SimHotasPinkyShift

When shifting is active, this callback replaces the formerSimPinkySwitchcallback. It still fulfills the same EXPAND functionality if it is only tapped and released. When it is pressed and held down, it acts as shift button. Obviously, it is meant to be mapped to the pinky switch on the HOTAS.

In order to make shift work properly, the shift callback has to be mapped twice in the keyfile. Once for the pinky button, and once for the pinky button plus shift offset.

Example: The pinky switch on the HOTAS uses DX button #3 and the configured shift offset is 256. Hence the keyfile needs to contain the following lines:

SimHotasPinkyShift 2 -1 -2 0 0x0 0
SimHotasPinkyShift 258 -1 -2 0 0x0 0

Note: If the 2nd callback mapping is missing, the shift button can not be released correctly again once pressed.

• Like 3

Thank you, sir :-). It's not a big deal, but to have the DX Shift 'Pinky+TMS' in it's directions available to change quickly from A-G to A-A is nice, when you are searching for A-G targets and you suddenly get nailed by a hostile. If I'm rigth that's one of the features that the F35 has. The pilot can scan/search for A-A and A-G RADAR contacts at the same time. No, we stick to the beautiful F-16. It's just a very good looking oldie, rigth? 🙂 

• Like 1

Oh... and now JD and NetRaider have the Pinky switch working...

By pressing the 'Pinky+Missile step' buttons together it opens the 'Air Refueling' door, confirmed by the 'AR Status/NW Indicator' (turns blue).

Handy when you're 'in pre-contact position' with the Tanker and you have to open this door. By doing so the jet is set to 'CAT 3' automaticly, to make the manouverability more accurate/less big. The 'CAT' switch itself stayes in the same position, so even when you are in 'CAT 1'

• Upvote 2

Yes Sir,   Once Kavelenko explained the issue (I had noticed I could not lower my visor with the use of the pinky switch/DMS switch), hehehehe.   So I remapped it and waaalaaa , everything is perfect.  Whomever is the design, coders, graphics guru's of this very awesome Sim,  I salute you it is a piece of Magic,  after not flying since 2006 (when I moved to a non internet connected part of Virginia) , this BMS series is amazing.  This simulation gives this "Ole Man" something to occupy my Retired Police/USMC 0311 mind.    Thank You all.   God Bless

JD

• Like 1
  • VG Seal of Approval 1