Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

PSU help

=VG= I3RY4N

gonna get myself a new pc and cant decide/find out what PSU i need. from what i could find out is that i would need a 750w?

opinions and suggestions about the pc parts welcome.

anyway my specs:

Motherboard: ROG Strix z490 (already bought cant change)
GPU: ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 V2 8 GB OC Version
CPU: i9 10900k (already bought cant change)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (2x8gb) 3600 MHz C18
Cooling: Nzxt Kraken x73 + 3x ARCTIC P12 PWM PST RGB (+controller)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB m.2 SSD

Edit:
Updated parts list above.
added additional info below

Case: Lian Li 011 Dynamic
PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w

Thanks for the help everyone!

• Like 2

You could look on the internet for the max wattage of both cpu and gpu since they're the main power suckers there. You don't need to, 750w should be good enough for those. 

My suggestion is to pick one of these:

- Corsair RM750 X
- EVGA SuperNOVA GA or G5

- Enermax Revolution D.F.
- Seasonic Focus  (or Antec, which uses the same components from seasonic) 

These are the best psus you could have. All of them are available both 750w and 850w, with the 80 plus gold certification. I'm not saying that you need an 850w psu, but I think it could be better, in case of a future upgrade, to have more room without having to get a new one. Also you'd have lower temperatures inside the power supply and so its fan would spin slower, having a quieter psu. 

• Like 1

What motherboard model are you using?  ROG STRIX z490 covers well over a dozen boards by ASUS  (it matters for power requirements estimate for PSU)

*EDITS:

I added up estimates (guessing on parts not well defined) and came up with around 525 Watts before fans or additional storage drives (on top of the 2TB NVMe listed above).

Seeing 3070 would make me think twice about which PSU to get, particularly an OC version from ASUS - expect around 275W draw on that card alone under load.

Find the RAM you want to use on the Motherboard QVL for Memory (qualified vendors list) for the socket and specific board you are getting:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043883/

Find a proper PSU from the LTT PSU Tier List -- name brand and 80 Plus certification are NOT indicators of a good PSU (though not to be ignored, either - just don't base a purchase off those two factors alone):
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list/

I have the EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G1+ 80 PLUS Gold Modular from that list, in the Tier B section.  The Tier A section is where you drop tons of cash for a tip-top overclocking system ready to set records and compete, imho - if budget is a concern, like it is for me, you might stick with the Tier B selections.  Just don't go any lower than that if you can afford not to.

If your not planning to OC that CPU & just use the Auto Boost Clock, 750W is fine. You can use my OCed i5-10600K @ 4.9GHz, Vcore: 1.25V, as a reference on your CPU wattage consumption, CPU package hits almost 132W. 

1553493938_i5-10600kwattageconsumption.JPG.90e25af65fa14848416251a8ce840db4.JPG

In terms of my own PSU list:
Corsair RM

Cooler Master V2

MSI MPG Series

Superflower Leadex

EVGA GA

Seasonic GX

FSP Hydro GD

Cooler Master MWE V2

Silverstone Essential/Strider Gold

The bottom part of the list is mostly a budget PSU. Price vary depending on which country your in. Unfortunately no Be Quiet PSU available in my country yet, so... meh.

20 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

What motherboard model are you using

i`ve got the E-Gaming version

Find a proper PSU from the LTT PSU Tier List

probably gonna go for the be quiet! Straight Power 11 750w.

Find the RAM you want to use on the Motherboard QVL for Memory

gonna be the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 MHz C18 XMP 2.0 then
nvm... got weak to the rgb. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16gb (2x8gb) 3600 MHz C18

15 hours ago, Cruizer said:

If your not planning to OC that CPU

not planning to atleast.

and for the case fans. i'm going for the ARCTIC P12 PWM PST RGB 0dB. getting the 3 pack with a controller

seriously

THANKS. A. BUNCH!

also, someone got experience with cybermonday deals? can i expect to save some bucks waiting for that?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Vendors    Part No.  Size   RAM Speed    Supported Speed    SS/DS   Chip Brand  Timing  Voltage    Socket Support
CORSAIR   CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18(Ver3.31)   2x 8GB     3600 3600   SS Micron    18-22-22-42      1.35 1,2
CORSAIR   CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18(Ver3.31)   2x 8GB     3600 3600   SS Micron   18-22-22-42 1.35 1,2
CORSAIR   CMT16GX4M2C3600C18(Ver4.31)   2x 8GB     3600 3600   SS Samsung   18-19-19-39 1.35 1,2
CORSAIR   CMK16GX4M2B3600C18(Ver4.31)   2x 8GB     3600 3600   SS Samsung   18-19-19-39 1.35 1,2

FTR, these are the validated CORSAIR RAM Part Numbers which match the specs of the RAM you noted @=VG= I3RY4N

It is important to make sure you match one of these or potentially run into issues with the XMP profile in the MoBo BIOS that you may be using to achieve 3600MHz (over base DDR4 speeds of 2133MHz).  They will be specifically tested with these model/part numbered RAM sticks, anything else will be a shot in the dark and/or require manual RAM overclocking which involves a lot of time and tuning and testing and some technical tools.  Much easier to just jam the XMP "on" and trust that it was set properly by the factory using memory from the QVL, unless you're an OC geek like me with too much time on your hands ;)

(and that being said, I don't mind saying that my one foray off the QVL with memory could not for the life of me get it to post at anything beyond 2133MHz - buyer beware)

(from the following link)
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, =VG= I3RY4N said:

oh yeah dont worry @=VG= SemlerPDX i made sure to check with the website you provided. they're CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18

Roger roger.

Just out of curiosity, were the CMT and CMK versions with the faster Samsung chips too pricey to bother?  I found something like that with the G-Skill set I got, the next step up wasn't a few dollars, it was like adding another hundred dollars!!

I was able to get 3600MHz with 16-19-19-39 (2x8GB) for around a hundred dollars - though I was splurging there, and also got two sets of two for 32GB, and still paying off that credit card 🤪

@=VG= SemlerPDX The CMT would be 40 bucks more on amazon

as for the CMK. that one is actually less expensive. about 12€ less but it doesnt have the blings (rgb).

i would consider getting the CMT version but is it really worth paying 40 bucks more?

and also, would it be better to go for less MHz but faster timing?

6 hours ago, =VG= I3RY4N said:

@=VG= SemlerPDX The CMT would be 40 bucks more on amazon

as for the CMK. that one is actually less expensive. about 12€ less but it doesnt have the blings (rgb).

i would consider getting the CMT version but is it really worth paying 40 bucks more?

and also, would it be better to go for less MHz but faster timing?

Think of it like a race car -- one has a top speed of 200MPH and goes from 0-60MPH in 4 seconds. The other has a top speed of 200MPH and goes from 0-60 in 2.7 seconds.

Both have a top speed equal, but the timings are much tighter for the other model, meaning it can get up to speed faster and complete a sprint race in shorter time.  *the example above is in no way a comparison of these two different RAM timings at 3600MHz - the difference is so slight, only a demanding task or benchmark would notice the difference of a computer completing a task with one set over the other.

RAM timings very much matter, and when all things equal (like two different sets of 3600MHz RAM), it is the determining factor for performance.  That being said, as I noted above, no reason to chase after a few nanosecond improvements if the cost is not worth it for your budget, or if you have different goals.

18-22-22-42 is not particularly that much different from 18-19-19-39 so I wouldn't sweat that decision too much; measured in nanoseconds, these would be very hard to notice any difference as a user, outside benchmarks.  You certainly won't be kicking yourself later on down the road for your choice in one over the other here.

Personally, I go for raw technical performance over bling, but only cuz I'm into numbers and overclocking, benchmarks, etc.  If I had been into style as much as performance, my current PC would look a lot different, subjectively cooler and more awesome - but also in my case, it is off to the left of the desk, on the ground.  I barely see it.

You do you, whatever you choose will be just fine.

4 hours ago, =AMPHETAMINE= said:

Rule NO.1 never cheap on PSU
My baby :)

Opinion:
-Antec

-Seasonic

IMG20211128152925.jpg

I thought you had a potato laptop with an i7 3770 and Radeon 4600?  That's a crazy top tier PSU there, for sure!!!  I have a $3000+ gaming rig yet nothing that fancy pants 😜

13 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

I thought you had a potato laptop with an i7 3770 and Radeon 4600?  That's a crazy top tier PSU there, for sure!!!  I have a $3000+ gaming rig yet nothing that fancy pants 😜

Its a PC actually, from 2011.  Before I inserted the Radeon 4600 from my very old computer, I had an GTX 660.
Since I dont play games as much as before, until the Radeon turns off, there will be no GPU update. :)

• Upvote 1