Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Arma 3 Mike Force (TFAR BETA) Server

=VG= Sausag3

Posted this on steam so I thought I would share my thoughts here as well.

How I would do it with just four players.

1. Go Armored CAV (ACAV). All players should have Radios, Food and Water, First Aid Kits (x6), M16 (10+ mags), Satchels (x3), as many grenades as you can carry, and everyone carries the shovel in the pistol slot.

2. Team make up. RTO, Medic(MedKit), Engineer, Demolitions (toolkit).

3. Using the copilot seat of a Slick, fly an ammo box (loaded into the helo inventory) and the large supply box to a good spot near an AO.

4. Your team provides security while you quickly build a FOB in this order. Checkpoint (spawn), Aid Tent, and finally the situation room (HQ). Drop a few foxholes too. The enemy will be coming.

5. Regoup and move out to take down some targets. Do a circle around the AO and concentrate on artillery first.

Tips. Have the RTO call an arclight on the HQ. Artillery shooting you? Build a foxhole and get in it. Call some artillery of your own on that mortar team. Make foxholes whenever you stop or are about to engage or are engaged. Foxholes WILL save your life! USE GRENADES! The AI usually wont see you throw it. Are the enemy infantry danger close but have not spotted you? Crawl on your belly. It works. If you demo the slick it will respawn at base.

Have fun.

• VG Seal of Approval 1
  • Upvote 1

This is for the admins. You can activate leghorn from the debug console. I got this info from: https://github.com/Savage-Game-Design/Mike-Force/issues/56

Alablm commented 10 days ago

Workaround: server execute the following to initialize tasks on MSS Leghorn

["zone_mss_leghorn"] call vn_mf_fnc_director_open_zone;

Let me know if this actually works.

• Upvote 1

To those having Admin rights and TCAdmin rights on this server:

If there is a case where you need to restart the server, reset the mission, or even update the servers please let everyone know beforehand either on Discord or on the forum chat.

Those having in-depth access such as configs etc:

If you want to change something on the configs, add or remove mods, or anything that affects the server in general. Please consult me before hand as I am managing those myself for now. 

For now there is no need for anyone to tinker around this server (Except updating). as the mission is still in BETA. On the case where the mission no longer is BETA, We will investigate all the issues (If they have not been fixed) and find some improvements of our own. If the result of the investigation is good enough, I will make a dedicated team working on releasing our very own =VG= variant of the mission.

• VG Spirit 1
  • Thanks 1

This tip has been updated.

IF YOU TRULY ARE SOLO. Play as a green hornet with the RTO specialty. Play as an ACAV soldier with either the engineer (build FOB /reaspawn)  or the RTO (call in airstrikes). Load up on ammo, grenades, toe-poppers, satchels, medical kits and your radio backpack. Using the copilot seat Take the Slick or Cayuse (unarmed) loaded with an ammo box and slingloading a large supply container to the AO. Unload the Slick and destroy it with a satchel so that it can respawn at the airfield. Do not do this with CAS as they do not respawn and need to be retrieved by a player. Don't forget to build a FOB before moving out. Enjoy some LRRPing good times, you ninja, you.

The Mike Force soldiers with engineer should be able to make simple things like foxholes as well. All players come with 10 sandbags for building stuff but you really don't need them anyway.

• VG Seal of Approval 2
  • Thanks 1

I use my Logitech X52 Pro to fly helicopters in Arma 3 - but in Mike Force SOG, when trying to hook a crate for transport, the chopper cannot lift it and may crash.

I discovered (finally) that this is because I had Arma 3 Game Options set to Advanced Flight Model - I enjoyed the gauges, etc. but apparently this is broken or non-functional for Mike Force SOG mission.  In order to handle the weight of a load, this must be set to Basic/Standard Flight Model

Additionally, while the collective gauge was displayed via the Advanced Flight Model, I noticed that even at max throttle position, the collective was not at 100%.
This is because Arma 3 has some unresolved issue with the Controller Settings for Helicopters "Collective Raise/Lower (analog)".  Extra steps must be taken to fix it:

1. Under 'Collective Raise (analog)' move your throttle forward and backwards to set both the Axis + and Axis - for this control
  2. Under 'Collective Lower (analog)' you must also move your throttle backwards and forwards to set both the Axis - and Axis + for this control as well
  3. Ignore the red Arma 3 controller conflict warnings on these controls, and click OK to save

If anyone has been flying without full range of the collective (as I had been) you will notice an immediate difference and increase in control, especially at the throttle maximum/minimums, allowing some rather controlled braking and landing in a straight line (without the need to bank and whip around at a higher altitude).

:hi: 

• VG Seal of Approval 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Note for admins:

Restarting the server from TCAdmin will reset the mission, user saves and reset objectives.

When an admin is logged in and runs:

#restart  The whole mission will reset including taken objectives and ranks (maybe loadouts too).

#reassign Will restart the mission from current objective, keeps loadouts and taken objectives and gained ranks.

#restartServer Will restart the server the same as restart from TCAdmin.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, PITN said:

Posted this on steam so I thought I would share my thoughts here as well.

Hi PITN, I was on the server with the Doc yesterday and we managed to get a checkpoint built just loading two jeeps, this enabled us to respawn close to the AO without the need to fly in logistics for a FOB, what I'd like to know is what would be the minimum requirements to build this temporary spawn point? The help doesn't give enough information about this, is there a wiki on this mod?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

is there a wiki on this mod?

The mission devs havent released a wiki for the mission but it's in the works!. However we are also in the process of expanding our own wiki to add more useful information.

For now you'd have to use the field manual in the mission, in-game, in the esc menu. - It contains somewhat enough basic information to get started and know what is what. But doesn't have everything needed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, =VG= Sausag3 said:

However we are also in the process of expanding our own wiki to add more useful information

I have spent some time before bed polishing the VG Wiki server page, edited the URL for brevity and added a link to the top of the first post here, TeamSpeak3 channel descriptions, and pinned in the Discord Arma 3 channel.  We'll keep adding to it as we go - for now, the basics are covered, what is recommended/required, and all the links have been edited to open in new tabs so they can refer back to the VG Wiki page they were on more easily.

I'm also looking forward to adding a few sections to the Players Guide for this server, a part for "first time in the server" covering walking up to the Duty Officer and navigating the Armory crate menu, plus highlighting current known issues, pitfalls and workarounds.

Had fun today, so glad to have spent some time getting set up for helicopter flight, had serious issues at first and now that they are sorted I'm landing like a pro again (when I don't explode, that is).

🍻

Whiskey-Mike asked if we'd be doing an event for this, and that would be great - folks like him without the DLC can use the compatibility mod.  Will be fun when we figure something out and find the time.  We'll need to plan for bugs and ways to continue around them, since this one is a beta, but we'll roll with the punches as we go.

*note: I have not created the special CDLC Steam Update script in TCAdmin for this server (yet), and have removed the grey Steam Update button for TCAdmin users - until created, update method is to upload/overwrite 'vn' folder files with user updated copies. This is an ASAP TBD WIP with no ETA, just FYSA

VG Wiki Mike Force Server Guide: How to enable mods & join server

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've created special Steam Update buttons in TCAdmin for this Arma 3 server.  These are not present in our other Arma 3 servers, and this SOP only applies to this Mike Force server.  This has been added to the first post for Server Managers to refer back to later, and will be part of a TCAdmin Guide in the VG Wiki eventually, like many pinned posts, etc.

--- !!! IF YOU UPDATE, CHANGE SETTINGS, OR RESET THE SERVER PROGRESS - POST UP IN VG DISCORD and/or VG WEBSITE CHATBOX !!! ---

STOP THE A3 SOG SERVER TO UPDATE IT FOLLOWING THESE STEPS:

1. First Click on "Steam Workshop (updates)" (brown) button and update each mod and/or mission (no mods = no updates)
  2. Next Click on "Steam Update" (grey) button to update the main game + DLC
    2b.  If you are updating the Mike Force mission from Workshop, click on Purple Steam button - a backup is made
  3. Start the Server - verify everything is working. Contact SemlerPDX directly if anything is broken!

image.png

• VG Spirit 1

↑ Finally fixed the issues from Tuesday - Server Managers for SOG (including PITN and Sausag3) now have access to the new TCAdmin Buttons designed for Mike Force SOG Server.

Any questions, please ask me - don't assume anything.  Everything should work as designed, but as of time of this writing, it has not been tested - would need a DLC or Mod update to actually test this so we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

Again, simple SOP -- check the (brown) Steam Workshop button to see if any mods or the Mike Force mission needs updating.  Then run the Steam Update (DLC) and then (if mission was updated in workshop) the Steam Workshop (mission) updater.  This moves the current mission file into a backup folder, with a timestamp, and the new mission from the workshop into the mpmissions folder (with proper name replacement ... "%20" for "_")

Anytime the Steam Workshop updater is run, a script executes to copy the mod(s) TFAR and CBA_A3 (and keys) to the proper location as seen by our command line (root folder/keys folder).

:coffee:

• Like 1

SOG Server (and ACE Insurgency) BACK ONLINE! Insurgency ACE Takistan Server is DOWN for Steam Workshop Integration in TCAdmin - will post up when done...

Server OFFLINE (again) -- still having issues with steam automated updates of the creatordlc beta branch....

They say the definition of insanity is trying the same things over and over, expecting different results
Tim Burton Batman GIF by Giffffr

UPDATE:  it's getting there... just lobotomized the server, and it went from 60GB space used to 14GB... getting nuts up in here.. still working though
 soon... soon...

UPDATE 2:  All back online, all good -- final size of this server + SOG "vn" DLC + mods =13GB! 😎 -- command lines are now handled automagically based on the mods chosen in the Workshop.

ALL CONFIG Files are now just called "CONFIG_server.cfg" and accessed via the "Configuration Files" button.

• VG Seal of Approval 1

Done -- Everyone's TCAdmin permissions have been redone... If you cannot login, contact me...

New buttons and SOP edited above -- only use Command Line Manager (if needed) otherwise, it is ALL automated based on Steam Workshop (even keys are placed in the keys folder)

We cannot tolerate any more mods at this time, so don't take this as a pass to start downloading tons of mods!! This just means that right now, all mods can be updated and managed through TCAdmin without any of you having to upload files or use your own bandwidth for server management like this.

:drinks: 

image.png

• VG Seal of Approval 1

After a second restart tonight we lost the ability to capture Ba Ria. However I was able to activate the module using the admin console.

This is what worked.

["zone_ba_ria"] call vn_mf_fnc_director_open_zone;

So now we know how to activate the starting zones if they become bugged. This command should be limited to those zones that do not have "two-way connectors" and cannot be fixed with a restart like Ba Ria and Ban Hoang. 

Please note that these are not the only objectives with one way connectors. Try your best to do these one way areas first before moving inland.

oneway mf.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 7:43 AM, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Under 'Collective Lower (analog)' you must also move your throttle backwards and forwards to set both the Axis - and Axis + for this control as well

I tried it without doing this part and it worked fine for me.

On 5/24/2021 at 5:06 PM, =VG= Kavelenko said:

Hi PITN, I was on the server with the Doc yesterday and we managed to get a checkpoint built just loading two jeeps, this enabled us to respawn close to the AO without the need to fly in logistics for a FOB, what I'd like to know is what would be the minimum requirements to build this temporary spawn point? The help doesn't give enough information about this, is there a wiki on this mod?

Kav,

I figured it out. The short answer is an ACAV Engineer with a shovel and 50 sandbags. You might get 10 respawns out of that.

If you have sandbags in your inventory and you use the correct button in the radio menu (keyboard 6 key) you can upload sandbag (supplies) to your fob assets. It just takes forever.

So I built this FOB/spawn using less than 200 sand bags. Note that the Checkpoint (spawn) only holds 500 units of supply and that equals out to about 10 respawns.  A situation room (HQ) adds the ability to hold 10000 supply units and as a bonus feeds all nearby buildings with supply.

1 Sandbag = 10 units of supply. 1 Spawn = 50 units of supply.

sandbag_fob.jpg

radial_sandbag.jpg

sandbag_inventory.jpg

The Building Supply (Small) in it's current form it is a waste of time in most cases. It just holds such a small amount of supply for the logistics space that it needs.supply_crates_id.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@PITN Nice, that's handy to know, obviously a check point is not going to be around for as long as a FOB but for small ops where you just want to get in and out quickly to take down some Artillery its pretty handy to be able use one to re-spawn bit like we do in PR with rally points. I think we got 2 hours for the one we did, something like that. It was only a checkpoint so would not use up the sandbags as quick as a FOB.

• Thanks 2

Yeah we did this quite effectively today to take down the whole AO, I added 100 sandbags to my kit, and Engineer training, CAV squad and just plonked down a Checkpoint 200m from the target, feed it a few sandbags and hey presto a spawnable rally point that works regardless of enemy in the area. Guerilla tactics, this means we dont really need to carry a lot of First Aid kits but you compensate by adding more sandbags & satchels to take down the mortar and AA.

• Like 2

Had a great time on the server again with you guys today! :drinks: Great to see Tortia around again!!

Whipped up a quick guide to the different RTO Fire and Air Support options, and added them to the WIP players guide in the VG Wiki:
https://veterans-gaming.com/wiki/guides/arma3-sog-mike/vg-players/#Radio Telephone Operator

I'll post them here, too:

(page 01 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 02 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 03 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 04 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 05 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 06 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 07 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 08 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 09 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 10 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 11 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 12 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 13 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 14 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 15 of 15)     AIR SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

• Upvote 2

(page 01 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 02 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 03 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 04 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 05 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 06 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 07 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 08 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 09 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 10 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 11 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 12 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

(page 13 of 13)     FIRE SUPPORT OPTIONS

spacer.png

• Upvote 3

Not sure why, but when joining via the Launcher, the server shows the DLC we have set for 'optional' in the 'upper' line, and the DLC we have set for 'required' listed in the 'lower' line here.  Is this just Arma being Arma? I suppose if we had it wrong, we'd have gotten reports by now from people without the DLC(s), right?
image.png

17 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Not sure why, but when joining via the Launcher, the server shows the DLC we have set for 'optional' in the 'upper' line, and the DLC we have set for 'required' listed in the 'lower' line here.  Is this just Arma being Arma? I suppose if we had it wrong, we'd have gotten reports by now from people without the DLC(s), right?
image.png

It's just Arma being a twathead.

image.thumb.png.06de71f9c91c047e713f2649a07e96dd.png

The script on the commandline is correct. So there is nothing to worry about.

Those other DLCs are not needed on the server as the mission doesn't use any of the other DLCs. But just leave it as it is, If it's not broke don't fix it lol

• Thanks 1