Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Server Issues (Fly South Bug FIXED!)

=VG= ciro

1 hour ago, WarGhost said:
3 hours ago, 0100011000101 said:

I have tried to crash local server. that was very strange. right at the first attempt (kashan std) there was a south crash. after that I tried it at least 30 times, but did not crash it anymore. there was still one crash when loading map but not a south crash.

Great job binary, so if i'm not mistaking, we can do the test on local server ? That would be great.

im not sure...i tried it again today and the local server wobt crash anymore...

it is about 1:35 or so ... If this happened to me again I would say yes, otherwise it might have been another PR bug. ^^

• Upvote 2

Yeah i tested myself kashan std coop local server, tryed to crash it many times with different flying assets from both teams but did not crash at all.

i wonder if there is a way to have a testing server licence for those who want to contribute and make local network servers, i mean one pc as server and another as client, i though this way we will have much closer scenario to the real servers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WarGhost said:

i wonder if there is a way to have a testing server licence for those who want to contribute and make local network servers, i mean one pc as server and another as client, i though this way we will have much closer scenario to the real servers.

if you go to deployment-->create local, you can join this server with another computer in your network. but i have tried it 3 times now and it wont crash...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6.10.2019 at 7:45 PM, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Someone please answer if able:
:hi: 

On 6.10.2019 at 3:12 PM, =VG= ciro said:

Does the server crash if one of the cap marks in the south of a map is taken and then you fly south?

what do you mean by that?

with cap mark you mean the flag itself?

at kashan and jabal, the most southern flags are blufor. and there the server crashed no matter if we took flags or not.

• Like 1

Hey binary, you have the best experience on testing this issue, can you make a list of some assets that crashs the server (All of them if you can) ?

Are flying assets the only ones crashing server ? If yes, we should consider three things to check: south, border and altitude.

Mostly borders are flat (Ground level or sea level if you wish), what happend if we take a grounded asset (Tank or vehicule) to the south border that is high like a mountain ? If it does crash server then south altitude is the issue. You can also try it in flat border and make "fly" admin command to test but you need somebody else to be in the vehicule.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2019 at 5:24 AM, WarGhost said:

can you make a list of some assets that crashs the server (All of them if you can) ?

Are flying assets the only ones crashing server ? If yes, we should consider three things to check: south, border and altitude.

only air-assets are crashing the server. I could not crash with jeeps and tanks. at airassets it does not  matter what you take. tranport (chennok and chopper), attack helos and jets are crashing. but most of the time I tried transporthelos.

On 10/8/2019 at 5:24 AM, WarGhost said:

Mostly borders are flat (Ground level or sea level if you wish), what happend if we take a grounded asset (Tank or vehicule) to the south border that is high like a mountain ? If it does crash server then south altitude is the issue. You can also try it in flat border and make "fly" admin command to test but you need somebody else to be in the vehicule.

The server crashed at mountains just like when it's flat. I even crossed the border on foot and there were no crashes. it think it has something to do with air assets itself. So vehicles of all kinds, on foot or parachute jumps could not cause crashes.
what you could try if the server crashed when a tank flies. but !fly works only upways ... let's see if you can fly a tank to the edge ^ ^

These tests have been done so far but I could not find any patterns in it:

list below.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Nice table - very helpful information, I'm sure!

Is it possible to edit it to fit?  This website is not that wide....

Acro and I have had success with Google Sheets (spreadsheets).  I can embed an iframe for you if you give me a link to the spreadsheet.  NOTE: Sheet has to have small cells and text to fit inside 1400px max width.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 0100011000101 said:

let's see if you can fly a tank to the edge ^ ^

I was thinkin about somebody drive it out of border then admin do a fly command, not fly it forward LoooL.

btw, your work on this is just insane, i can see you spended huge time on it.

I wish if i could have that table so i can sort or filter data (Easier to analyse).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Is it possible to edit it to fit?  This website is not that wide....

Acro and I have had success with Google Sheets (spreadsheets).  I can embed an iframe for you if you give me a link to the spreadsheet.  NOTE: Sheet has to have small cells and text to fit inside 1400px max width.

if you have NO write permission, it might be useful, so that all your ideas can be included but only certain people can edit.

17 hours ago, WarGhost said:

I was thinkin about somebody drive it out of border then admin do a fly command, not fly it forward LoooL.

but I really thought flying ^ ^ if you are on the edge and use "!fly name 1000" then you fly quite a long time ... and if you then turn the cannon of the tank you can change his direction a bit ...
On a local-server it works, but unfortunately I have not enough rights to use !fly on our server. that would have to do a headadmin or we set up a testserver where you have more rights.

17 hours ago, WarGhost said:

I wish if i could have that table so i can sort or filter data (Easier to analyse).

look at your mails...

16 hours ago, =VG= ciro said:

Great table, can i ask that you add if the mission has custom weapon loadout please?

Thanks for all the hard work you guys are putting into this.

I think that everything is unchanged. probably the only thing that has been adapted is the kit-restriction. but the server-admins can say that more precisely.

14 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

@0100011000101 could you test the map that is most likely to crash on the GDO server for me?

I can try it, but I think there you can not do any map-votes and then it will be hard ...

• Like 1

Semler has the spreadsheet, I backed it up and released it as editable by all, for now. We'll limit the access to those who have any business with it. They're all devs or administrators so I trust they know how to handle data, and if something goes sideways we'll just roll-back the data.

I don't think iFrames are worth the hassle here.. It's taken Semler and me some back-and-forth tweaking to get the PR admin time schedule to fit, and the research file is way bigger and has many separate datasheets for map testing, hypotheses etc.

I think it's better to keep a URL to the file in a sticky post, and I'll limit writing access to those who need it. Devs and testers who want to join the bug hunt can DM me their gmail address and gain access.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So gonna close this issue. It's been found to be a BF2 engine issue. Sadly there's nothing that can be done against it.

If you don't believe me you can find a BF2 copy and install a 64 player mod and create local servers. The issue will occur after a few map changes.

I'll look into some changes to try and make it occur less frequently. (removing osprey on 2km maps, jets on bamyam and silent eagle removal/base swapping etc)

As for what happens when someone deliberately crashes the server. Make a note of the map/player and we can check the logs and ban. Accidents will happen, but with a bit of work we can try and limit the issue.

Big thanks to everyone for the help. Bad  outcome though

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, =VG= Melon Muncher said:

So gonna close this issue. It's been found to be a BF2 engine issue.

but pls dont close this thread. if there are still ideas, observations or attempts it makes sense to leave this discussion open ...

In any case many thanks to all who helped and to melon for finding this bug.

maybe we should set up volod on the bug and he just kills this fu**ing noob ;p

• Like 2

@WarGhost:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oIXSVcuP6ImOExBwknpYM2mb6bzbSrn1/view?usp=sharing

the 1st armored division of the mec Air Force in action ;p

can not we just replace all the jets and choppers and fly only with vehicles? then there are enough crashes but not of the server :P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 0100011000101 said:

can not we just replace all the jets and choppers and fly only with vehicles? then there are enough crashes but not of the server :P

Yes we can do that, we need some designers to add wings to them, that's it :rofl:

btw, thank you so much for your great efforts binary.

2 hours ago, =VG= Melon Muncher said:

So gonna close this issue. It's been found to be a BF2 engine issue. Sadly there's nothing that can be done against it.

Does it hurt if you keep it open ? Please keep it cz i believe persistence will get it fixed sooner or later lets say: by tweeking the mod code even if the issue is from bf2. Please consider binary efforts and spended time, also Acro1 and the others. Besides, every test is a forward step to the solution because we have data table to analyse.

3 hours ago, =VG= Melon Muncher said:

The issue will occur after a few map changes.

Even if its happening only with flying assets and only on south side, i'm suspecting it to be a cache overloaded or corrupted issue.

Have you never been at strange spawn that belongs to the previous map (in the middle of nowhere or inside a mountain or stuck in a wall) ?

This game have many things not refreshed from previous map, you can see it by yourself: Before endround in the squad menu keep only your squad members list open, lets say squad 3, on the next map wait for the squads to be filled then open squads list, you will find only squad 3 memebers list open even if you did not join any of them yet.

Another and easier way to see that: Flags are not shown on the map after few map changes on client side (See? same heppend here but without server or client crash).

What if air assets cache is not refreshed at all when server run next map ? It could be a 0,0,0 origin of the map not taken from the current one (Keep in mind that south side is always negative asset origin value).

We also should consider cohision event of air assets with south border trigger when there is no cohision with the ground (no wheels), then comes the question: What heppend if i keep a plane on the ground and go cross the shouth border ?

All i said here is of course not relevant, i'm just throwing some ideas to test.

Somebody give to binary a root server for testing, where he can install the game server and have full admin rights.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, WarGhost said:

What if air assets cache is not refreshed at all when server run next map ? It could be a 0,0,0 origin of the map not taken from the current one (Keep in mind that south side is always negative asset origin value).

I would also see it that way, but then the server would not crashing immediately at the first map. after a restart the cache should be empty..., if you play kashan std then, the probability is very high that the server crashed.

I think that we can never fix this bug. BUT: because the server not always crashes we might find a way to limit it, defuse it or even bypass it ...

I now assume that this error also occurs in deployment but there very rarely happens because not so many newbies have the opportunity to immediately jump into a jet.

but if I start three times kashan std on an online server then i have an average of 2 crashs but once i can fly in the south ... why? what is different?
why is the error local much less common than online?

If you can answer these questions, then maybe you can develop a strategy on how to avoid it.

the only thing I can imagine right now is that it has something to do with the memory management. When I play pr on a computer with 16GB I get the memory.dll error much later than when I play pr with a 4gb computer. and these times are always similarly long. So if I open a sever local I use 16gb ... but if the vg-server but only has 4gb then this could be the reason why the error occurs more often.

i have the hope that it is a stupid combination of several events. So something like that just someone in the north also flies out of the map or similar ...

I would also try the days if there are maps that are uncrashable or if all maps crash.

another thing that I still want to try:
try to crash kashan 3-5 times and then compare the individual trackers of the games ... so where are the enemies, what kits were used , where are the individual units, in what condition are they ... maybe you can find out something.

or we play muttrah 24/7 ... that rarely crashes ;p

9 hours ago, WarGhost said:

Somebody give to binary a root server for testing, where he can install the game server and have full admin rights.

Of course it would be really cool if we could do that for a few days / weeks. So not only for me, but for handful of players who want to test things and dont have the possibility. the bug is so rare on local that it's hard to test there...

• Upvote 1