Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Server Issues (Fly South Bug FIXED!)

=VG= ciro

6 hours ago, Acro1 said:

@=VG= SemlerPDX Does Realitymod provide you with the necessary files once you become a contributor? I'm submitting an R-CON application somewhere today

First, you must traverse the cavern of pillars, and carry the glass of water to the altar without spilling a drop:

:tatice_03: Ahhh.... 80's movie references! So much fun!

(but seriously, I have no idea, I would assume so.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, =VG= Fastjack said:

Another Problem is, it is not clear to me if this error occurs ONLY on our server or others server too like SSG or PRTA or Blackhoundz

the next one who writes something like this gets a reallife-tk! ;p go to the JTG server. run kashan. fly south ... and your question is answered.  I dont lie. it did not happen once, but EVERY TIME!

again for all:

the flying-south-bug IS A COOP PROBLEM. NOT ONLY VG IS AFFECTED BUT AT LEAST TWO OTHER SERVER !!!!!!

40 minutes ago, =VG= Fastjack said:

R-DEV Mineral said it happend only by us

then he is lying or he has not tried enough server or JTG has changed something after his statement.
Of course it can also be that I hallucinate.
since it is now statement against statement: try it yourself. try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.try it yourself.

form your own opinion or we will not get any further here. but theoretically debating whether it is so or not makes no sense ... try and share experience!

• Upvote 2

Lads, can we please take a chill pill ;) nobody is doing statement vs statement, no personal attachment is involved. This is a thinking pool, not a debate. Let's focus on the essence and not jump on our horses if someone disagrees. We strive for the same goal :). There will be enough to read through as is.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Acro1 said:

nobody is doing statement vs statement, no personal attachment is involved.

sure. every time I say that it is not only vg concerns, someone says that it seems so only a vg problem or it is not clear. and that is really silly now, especially since I called the server on which it is provociable and have given instructions how to prove it quickly. but instead of convincing, it is better to question it.

I do not suppose it's personal either, but if you're completely overheard, you'll be LOUD !!!!! ;p

but i am chill...^^

you are welcome:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bvnRK_T5y_Ksnehx2OovlchK_bbD9F-r/view?usp=sharing

in the first 5 seconds you can see on which server it is. if the server crashed nvidia unfortunately stops recording. but you can still see the "connection problem" and no it was not my connection ... the server is crashed.

edit:

If anyone has a youtube account he is free to reupload it. Unfortunately, google probably does not get an instant view ... or I'm too stupid for that.

• Upvote 1

On 24.9.2019 at 9:14 PM, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

First, I want to say, I am not trying to call you out personally, BinkleDinkle.  No offense is intended at all, I'm sure we all respect you as a valuable VG member and PR Admin.  You are not the only person that has made this false statement so confidently in the past, not the only one this reply is directed at.

But I would like misinformation such as this to stop right here and now. This is simply not true. 

Now I feel with you ^^
I do not take that personally and I do not feel attacked and did not want to attack fastjack personally.
but it does not help if we always talk about "possibly", "maybe", "I heard".
and since this misinformation paralyzes very much and it is not helpful to speculate in this case but facts have to be researched, it was important for me to put it right.

broken, at the end and totally frustrated, I now go kill some bots. let's see ... maybe I'll do it like the birds and fly in the south :boast:

• Upvote 1

since this bug seems to be very hard to identify, maybe it makes sense to moderate the discusion a bit. So it would be nice if we do not let trivia, unconfirmed, contestable have entrance into this search. perhaps a diskusionsthread and one where we carry the knowledge together?

I have the feeling that pr here and in the other communities has the problem "old against new" (at vg not in a hard way). The veterans know everything and the newbies have no idea. On the other hand, the newbies thinks then the old gentlemen are caught in their game system and invotaions are categorically rejected ...

short story long:
I think we have to tackle this down on several levels on a very professional way and should include everything possible. We should try to approach it from the programming side ( if you can. ) as well as from the playful side and from the theoretical side (making/collecting logs).
if you can not find it in config files or anywhere else we can try to find it by using logical exclusions. and everyone who plays a lot can do this...

even if we do not find it, we may find a way to avoid it or move around it.

I think that's really important because it takes 90% of the game fun and population and gets worse and worse. And that reduces the quality of the server very much.
but if we discus it exactly as in the thread before, then because of the length many things get lost and in a time no one knows what was on page 2...
but both, narrowing down and sharing knowledge are important.

I think it would be nice if we could do at least 2 threats.
one strictly modierte where no discussion is allowed. You can post logs-fils and listings there. confirmations at best with source, refutations, officials, etc.
and a thread in which one can ask questions, discuss and sometimes become offtopic and evaluate.

Of course, all other suggestions are also welcome.
I'm just scared that we will never find this bug if we continue to do so as we started it. including me. but it is also important to continue to exchange as we did before.

does that still make sense? ^^

sorry for highjacking again...you can delete this post. I just wanted to say that before you creating a new thread.

• Upvote 1

ok, me again...thats why i wrote that before^^:

• does the bug really happen only in the south?
  • on which servers?
  • coop and deployment or just coop?
  • do the server configurations differ?
  • what else is the difference? eg 32 / 64bit, teamswitch on / off, anything ...
  • which logs can we see?
  • also over a longer period of time? to see for example which maps before that ran, when the server was restarted, which team was played, which commands were used,
  • are there other game mechanisms that can crash the server?
  • What is different in the south? on code-side, on the map, in the circumstances, ...
  • Sometimes the server crashes immediately at the border of the map and sometimes you can fly further ... why?
  • is it possible to set up a sevrer to provoke crashes and to try things out or is that associated with a lot of work?
  • if so, how easy is it to test all allowed settings?
  • I have the impression that it has become more recently. why is that?
  • what changes were there?
  • why do some servers not crash or rarely and others often or always crash?
  • is it better after a restart?
  • for how long? what makes it vulnerable?
  • if deployment is not crashing, why?
  • what are the differences in map, config, etc ...
  • are the bots to blame? Why?
  • what happens when you turn a map around?
  • is it really not possible to generate the bug locally?
  • is the earth really flat? ^^
  • what existing information is still available? Where?

I would ask more of such questions ... and there are many sub-questions. and probably everyone has many other questions to contribute. please move this into the new thread;)...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my testing at JTG:

Bijar Canyons STD, flying IDF:

Could go oob east, west, south, any combo. No crash. Tried in jets and helos.

Khamisiyah STD, flying US:

Could go oob east-west, no crash.

East/west oob and then south while still oob: no crash.

Flying south oob first: crash.

I've never seen the server files, but this sounds like perhaps the OOB mechanic checks if a player is oob already before executing the rest of its code, to avoid running the script multiple times.

Again, I have no access to those server files yet so I'm purely hypothesizing based on my coding knowledge.

@=VG= ciro Do we run Procdump or Procdump64? Both come in the download you specified.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for doing the testing guys. Hopefully we can find a pattern or something. If you do come across a map that doesn't crash. test it after loading another map. like if Bijar din't crash go Bijar>Khamisiyah>Bijar If we can get a map that doesn't crash we can assume it is a map related crash, otherwise it's probably python, BF2, whatever else.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Acro1 said:

East/west oob and then south while still oob: no crash.

Flying south oob first: crash.

We can use this, it seems precious info to me, thank you Acro1, this mean the transition line from in and out of border (south side) is the problem but not the whole south oob area.

Still, to be sure we need to test more: When still oob from East/West, then go to south oob area and cross the line to get back into the map, what will happend ?

Differents combinations should be tested in same map to stay accurate (Need an admin for this to run it again after crash), you probably gona need to clone server only for admins acces to do this cz you are not admin in other servers.

I'm trying to be accurate as binary recommanded, whitch is a very good point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, WarGhost said:

Need an admin for this to run it again after crash

on the JTG server you can do a map vote... if you are alone on the server you automatically win the vote... so you can switch between two maps and try again and again.

8 minutes ago, WarGhost said:

you probably gona need to clone server only for admins acces to do this cz you are not admin in other servers.

that would be really good. if that works, you could also enable mapvote and assign a password ... so others can test it.

alternatively you could perhaps only on this server give individual people admin rights so that they can try out.

11 minutes ago, WarGhost said:

I'm trying to be accurate as binary recommanded, whitch is a very good point.

:)

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, =VG= Melon Muncher said:

Thanks for doing the testing guys. Hopefully we can find a pattern or something. If you do come across a map that doesn't crash. test it after loading another map. like if Bijar din't crash go Bijar>Khamisiyah>Bijar If we can get a map that doesn't crash we can assume it is a map related crash, otherwise it's probably python, BF2, whatever else.

Is it safe to assume you have removed combat zones from the GPO and attempted to fly south on coop with it being the same result? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TEDF said:

Does anyone remember when this issue started? Could it be something to do with the new flight mechanics that got added in 1.4-ish ( 26.11.2016) and AI files conflicting?

I joined pr somewhere feb 2017 and I do not know it without crashing. but that was not nearly as much as it is today. but we also had more maps ...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TEDF said:

Does anyone remember when this issue started? Could it be something to do with the new flight mechanics that got added in 1.4-ish ( 26.11.2016) and AI files conflicting?

Edit : I seem to remember doing certain manouvers with f18 couple of versions ago would crash the server on kashan for example.

Sofar i know would a conflicting ai-template directly crash the server when you get in it (Vehicle) or when you use it (like selecting a corrupted weapon.ai) or directly at mapload and ai errors doesn't show up in windowed mode.

What Kind of maneuvers? Like dodging like a boss or making maneuvers and attacking (using a weapon)?

When this error occurred first i dont know. Stopped flying after 0.97 or 1.0 and you know why (cough cough new flightphysics, cough cough AA, cough cough speed reductions of many airvehicles).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, =VG= Fastjack said:

What Kind of maneuvers? Like dodging like a boss or making maneuvers and attacking (using a weapon)?

It was by doing some insane spins and loops (read "smash your keyboard with both hands for 20 seconds")until you completely lost control of the aircraft and it started flying sideways for few seconds before crashing. Basically something you'd had to do intentionally and that couple of us found out by accident. Doesn't work anymore.

Back to topic, has the crashes been tested using deployment or custom combat zones? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WarGhost said:

Can you run server with "realityconfig_coop.py" at the very default settings just for once and testing?  this may isolate the issue in one file if it is there, then you will eventualy have just one file to look at.

This was one of the first troubleshooting steps we took.

1 hour ago, TEDF said:

Back to topic, has the crashes been tested using deployment or custom combat zones? 

No, have not tested a deployment or custom combat zones scenario.

• Like 2

During testing in the last few days I had the feeling that the server did not crash at all once you have successfully flown over the south edge.

So once I was over it, I could fly with all the jets and choppers over the southern edge again at any time and nothing happened.

I tested this way:
mainly, I flew along the border of the map in all directions with two different choppers or jets, and then in the south ...
because the other edges do not crash and the crash itself does not matter if I flew over another one before, I would stop this because it saves a lot of time.

and I have more and more the feeling that it is map dependent, but it does not always crash ... there are some maps thats crashes more often, but there is no real pattern.
So far, I think all crashs are on STD maps. at least according to the listing...

I have tried to crash local server. that was very strange. right at the first attempt (kashan std) there was a south crash. after that I tried it at least 30 times, but did not crash it anymore. there was still one crash when loading map but not a south crash.

I still wonder, what is different in the south than in the west, for example? Something must be different there, otherwise it would not happen ^ ^

I also tested two maps on blackhound DEPLOYMENT but there were no crashs. I did not find any STD map there but mostly AAS (and AA INF).
it will be hard to test this in deployment.

@ head-admins:

is it possible to clone the vg coop-server and lock it with a password? so that we can study the crash at vg?
^^otherwise I will banned soon at JTG and with admin commands and possibly even rcon-commands you can try more and you are more efficient.

if that's possible, would it be possible to change it to a deployment server for a short period of time? so we can try out if its a coop or pr-wide bug?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 0100011000101 said:

if that's possible, would it be possible to change it to a deployment server for a short period of time? so we can try out if its a coop or pr-wide bug?

It's COOP only bug. Jets and helos go off the map to the south all the time on deployment and it has never crashed.

So far, I think all crashs are on STD maps. at least according to the listing...

It crashed couple of days ago twice on Khami alt when harrier and f18 flew off.

• Like 1

I have tried to crash local server. that was very strange. right at the first attempt (kashan std) there was a south crash. after that I tried it at least 30 times, but did not crash it anymore. there was still one crash when loading map but not a south crash.

Great job binary, so if i'm not mistaking, we can do the test on local server ? That would be great.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm sure now you all can understand how the VG Config Files are not at fault, and never were.  We had known this, but were fighting an uphill battle to get others to believe that, something that should never happen.  

All drama aside, I'm glad we are making some progress with assembling data on a larger scale than Melon and I could have managed.  Glad so many are helping out!  I'm sure a pattern will emerge soon that will help point us in a new and productive direction.  (better than playing the pessimist, anyway ;) )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2