Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Smokes254

I can not tell you if there is a restriction, but I can tell you that my avatar has 150x150 pixels and 42.3kb.
So it should work up to these values in any case.

but you have to consider that avatars should be small. if everyone had a 10mb avatar and you look at a thread where 10 users have responded then you would have to load 100mb. that's why they are often limited.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 0100011000101 said:

I can not tell you if there is a restriction, but I can tell you that my avatar has 150x150 pixels and 42.3kb.
So it should work up to these values in any case.

but you have to consider that avatars should be small. if everyone had a 10mb avatar and you look at a thread where 10 users have responded then you would have to load 100mb. that's why they are often limited.

I see. Thanks for getting back to me regarding this.

File format matters, it has to be one of the mainstream formats like png, jpg, haven't tested a .gif (might work, even if it doesn't cycle - might cycle)

Size examples from Binary are similar to mine, I'm currently using a .png with transparency and it's 172px x 172px at 58.3kb

Limits are in place because previous iterations of the VG website had swollen to over 300 terabytes, nearly completely comprised of unrestricted uploading of images and large file attachments over the course of years.  Meant we couldn't move the site to a less expensive host in New York, so we had to change how it's done.  When we finally did, a lot of links were broken as we couldn't migrate all those files and images.  You can archive and remove leaving blank chunks in posts that may get crawled here and there for years, or you can enforce smaller sizes and encourage the use of imgur links in posts, and dropbox links for files.

But for Avatars and profile background images, you're restricted to the 200kb limit if I am not mistaken.  If you use Photoshop, select "Save for Web..." to get great looking images at a fraction of the size.  TMI, but after finally learning PS some time ago, I started using a tip I got to make all my photoshop images massive, like 4K (3840 x 2660), and then shrink them down for whatever size they'll be used at, like 300 x 300, or 480 x 60 banners, etc. using the Save function options in PS.  A great tip.