Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Server Connection Issues

christopoukoss

Hey guys this is my first article i post here. i saw that for a week or so... there is a problem with the connection to the VG server on Project Reality. I've seen that the server kicks all players and then everyone joins and be like ''WHAT HAPPENED AGAIN?!''. I am just metioning the problem, hope you fix it soon:)

• Upvote 1

To be sure that any increase in server crashes are not due to excessive log file size, I have just now performed an archive of several key log files that the PR engine needs to access frequently and rapidly.  There's no smoking gun of why it may be acting up, but here's hoping that a light cleaning will blow the dust off the bytes and get things flowing as well as they can.

:hi:

Server crashes do happen but most of the time you just have to join back in once and you can get back to playing. But with some of the maps the sever can crash more frequently because of assets, most likely jets or helicopters, flying out of the map (most of the times bots will fly straight south to get you but you). If you read this and are thinking of getting into or already flying assets or maybe you already are flying please try to not do this because it sucks when your game play gets interrupted by a crash. :D

• Upvote 1

Yea, at first it was reported that the "fly south" bug was specific to our server, and we spent a fair amount of time troubleshooting it and attempting to fix it through fresh reinstallations and careful application of specific config settings over the course of a few weeks.  Later, we have discovered that it is not just us, but a bug in the game itself.  This puts the problem into the realm of the PR Dev's themselves, and there is little we can do to fix their issues, same as the vehicular bugs that plague the python errors log.  To be clear, bugs like this appear in software that is not properly tested before rollout to the public, as many of these issues are very clearly spelled out in the error logs.  I hate to assume, but perhaps these issues went under the radar during testing - regardless of why, it's here now and the players have to deal with it.  Very sad that such a lack of attention to detail on the part of some dev(s) or contributors has ended up harming the stability of servers, and I personally would feel ashamed if I had been on that team and had still not resolved such a glaring problems.

That being said, let's remember that this game was made by fans out of their own free time, and this game we enjoy that cost us nothing is far from perfect, like most every game, and it still very enjoyable despite the annoying issues that pop up from time to time.  Big thanks to the devs and contributors for making this game as fun as it is!  Here's hoping they get the bugs squished in the autumn years of this game's life.

• Upvote 2

Crashes are an integral part or PR. Just like long loading times or that one angry player. We try our best to improve but will always exist.

I sorted the starting maps and removed all the harder maps or maps that don't seed.

Message me if there's any maps that you think shouldn't be there

• Like 1

Incorrect information:

20 hours ago, Vanillapop said:

It's normal that our server crashes ever 5 or 6 hours, and im pretty sure once a day the server resets for a new map rotation.

18 hours ago, InchPincherToo said:

And that's where Xenalite map randomizer does the job, with INF layout sometimes as a starting map :P

- Inch

No, the server does not reset once a day, and no, that's not how the maplist randomizer system works.  Thanks to Xenalite, the server is always running and the maplist is always rotating every 30 minutes.  Crashes only happen due to bugs/errors, not a regular time interval (so saying every 5-6 hours is an arbitrary estimated average), and when they do, the server restarts itself like normal, but the maplist loaded is always different thanks to a system running in the background.  We rarely ever manually turn off or restart the server, and we have no systems that tell the server to restart automatically or daily unless it crashes.  This is the beauty of the system that Xenalite and I have put into place.

:hi:

• Upvote 1