Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Issues getting on BMS server

Bobbybaby1985

Hello everyone! Firstly, to introduce myself, my name is Robert. 

So the other day I discovered this site and decided that I wanted to jump on the server and perhaps fly with anyone, even though I do not have team speak or even a head set yet. Easy fixes for that. The main issue is when I was following the steps to log in the server nothing was working. I followed everything exactly how it was posted and I even followed the port forwarding steps by Krause on YouTube. I am usually pretty good at trouble shooting, but I am still unable to connect. Is having windows 7 an issue? Do I need special permissions to connect? I am am only posting because I am out of ideas and I have been trying for a few days. Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated, as I think it would be fun to fly and conduct missions with others. Thanks!

Hello and welcome!  Happy to help you out if we can:drinks:

There are no permissions needed and Win7 is fine.  Start up BMS and note the version number in the lower right of the main menu - if it says Falcon BMS 4.33.5 (x64) Build 16084 then we're good there.

The server is in Kansas, so you're not far from it.  Some people from overseas can have issues, so were good there, too.  Out of curiosity, what is your internet speed?  If it's a wired connection with at least 5-10Mb/s Downstream and 2-10Mb/s Upstream, we're good there and can look elsewhere for the issue.  If it's WiFi, we might want to do a few tests.  If you have a modem, and then another device like a router before the line gets to the computer, we might want to look at both the modem settings and router settings to be sure they're the same.  If your computer's internal IP address keeps changing, forwarding ports won't matter (often more of a WiFi issue), so we want to be sure that stays the same, or reads back the same every day.  It should by default if the PC is wired to the modem/router.

That's a good place to start.  Unfortunately these issues require a bit of back-and-forth as we get to the bottom of the issue.  Be patient and hang in there!

I hope some others have ideas that can help, too.  I certainly don't know everything.  :hi:

• Upvote 1

There is no version number present in the lower right corner. Perhaps I didn't install the updates to U5 correctly?

I am at 43.3 download and 4.50 upload. Hard line with router only. Everything static. I am still working at it. I downloaded the incrementals and installed them correctly I thought to U5. Oh and I even pinholed BMS so the firewall won't block me from connecting too.

Update...So yeah I completely installed the updates wrong. Hopefully when I am done it works....

11 hours ago, Bobbybaby1985 said:

There is no version number present in the lower right corner. Perhaps I didn't install the updates to U5 correctly?

No worries, but I meant launch the game until you get to the screen that looks like this:
bms main menu.PNG

**This is an old screenshot, ignore the old version showing 4.33.4 -- you need to be on current version (4.33.5)

Good luck with the updates, any issue, let us know! :drinks: