stevewills

This looks like a good place to land! Hello everyone.

I just dropped in while looking for updates to Falcon 4.0, and found a wealth of information here.

Hi everyone, I'm a (semi) retired network video producer/editor and, a "sim-junkie".

While looking around on how to increase the screen resolution of the old 4.0, I found out that the entire program could be upgraded, and for free?! I had to jump in and see who these other aficionados were.  I'm looking forward to learning more about putting this old sim back to work, especially with all the new items that has been done to it by such a dedicated team. I was completely amazed at the new graphics, and I can't wait to try them out! (I just downloaded the BMS 4.33 - all in one update). I'm sure I will have questions, but hopefully this update will be uneventful and go well.

Thanks for all hard work!

I'm really looking forward to getting this 'ol girl back in the sky. 

My Specs:

i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

16GB Ram

nVidia 1070 GPU

2 - 2560 x 1080 LG Monitors

• Like 3

Hello and welcome!! Nice system!   I just recently got into the BMS Alternative Launcher myself - on vacation and wanted to make it easy for my Pop to use BMS, and gotta say I'm impressed.  BMS can have issues once in awhile where if certain USB controllers are disconnected/reconnected or new USB controller added, it can depend too much on the DX device ID number and get confused causing multiple controllers to not work correctly, but the Alternative Launcher always forces the USB devices to their former ID's or something, making everything work even after months of inactivity.  I've personally had to rebind my complicated control setup several times over the years, but with this launcher, I expect that to never happen again.

It is safe to install over a fully installed BMS (he recommends launching BMS at least once, and then closing, before installing the launcher) and it makes it much easier to assign controls with the keybinds setup interface.  Here's a link if you're interested: https://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/showthread.php?31774-Falcon-BMS-Alternative-Launcher-(Easy-Setup-Keep-Joystick-Assignments)&highlight=launcher

We run a full multiplayer Korean War Server (Rolling Thunder) 24/7, usually takes about 3 weeks to conclude before we restart it to Day 1 - links to instructions at the website footer under Server Rules, and it has an integrated radio system through IVC that we use to communicate, but also we'll sit in TS3 in the Falcon channels when waiting to find people to fly with.  Don't be a stranger!  I look forward to some multiplayer flights when I get home from vacation!

See you at Angels 20! :drinks:

• Like 1

Thanks, that's great information to have! I just now fired up the new BMS and wow, I'm stunned! It's awesome! I haven't even flown yet and my mouth is wide open...this thing is stunning! Thanks for the invite but, I think it's gonna be a while till I get my wings in this one. I don't even know what's in this yet...but so far, it look gorgeous. Reading the PDF now, and once I get a few landings and takes offs (point me in the right direction for landing missions please), I'll feel a lot better, but right now, I doubt I could offer any help in multi-player . (Especially since I'm wondering to myself right about now...where does the key go to start this thing...lol).

I guess I better do a little reading first).

And, the installation/update...it worked flawlessly! What I thought would be a nightmare - was completely automatic! (Thanks to whoever made that!)  I'll do some reading and practicing and, hopefully join everyone as soon as I can! Semper Fi!

For a quick run-through and confidence builder, try this RAMP Start Trainer from way back in the day (flash based, trust us, it's safe just very old - same file we've been sharing for years and years)- now, there are a few things that will be slightly different such as setting up MFD's, weapons, etc. but since the F-16 hasn't changed much, this old trainer still follows the basics enough to use it to start viewing the cockpit in it's various segments instead of "a million buttons and switches everywhere":
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug7rl65nprbbkmh/sp3_ramp_start_trainer-FLASH.exe?dl=0

For training in game, use the Training Missions found under Tactical Engagement, Training:

training missions BMS TRIP.PNG

Each mission follows the respective section of the Training Manual found in the programs folder here:

image.png

**EDIT:  Also check out Jeffu's blog post (part 1 and 2) on what keys are important to assign to available joystick buttons and the use of shift states to increase the number of buttons:

Edited by =VG= SemlerPDX
  • Like 2

Welcome to the Community.

Thank you for all your kind words and insights.

Many Your Rebiuld and Game Time Be Glorious!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, stevewills said:

I just dropped in while looking for updates to Falcon 4.0, and found a wealth of information here.

Hi everyone, I'm a (semi) retired network video producer/editor and, a "sim-junkie".

Welcome to VG Steve, always great to have another BMS pilot join the community. I'm one of the BMS fans, there are a number of us here but its a matter of getting us all together which is not an easy thing to do when we live in various parts of the world. I'm from Aussie it looks like you're from the states. See you online some time. Cheerz.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome Steve and do not delay trying out multiplayer you can do no harm. At least not on the VG public server where personally I would rather take time out to assist a nube than fly another KTO mission so help is available from the off if you require it.

I was not aware of an "all in one update" but I have been lazy reading on the forums. U5  (update 5) is the latest version I believe.

Did you ever see the 2 official videos ? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CobaltUK said:

Welcome Steve and do not delay trying out multiplayer you can do no harm. At least not on the VG public server where personally I would rather take time out to assist a nube than fly another KTO mission so help is available from the off if you require it.

I was not aware of an "all in one update" but I have been lazy reading on the forums. U5  (update 5) is the latest version I believe.

Did you ever see the 2 official videos ? 

Yes, I've watched the videos and, I believe I installed update 5. I had just about given up on this game till I stumbled into here. It's gonna take some time though...

2 hours ago, stevewills said:

Yes, I've watched the videos and, I believe I installed update 5. I had just about given up on this game till I stumbled into here. It's gonna take some time though...

When you launch the sim, look at the bottom right of the main screen (the one with the tabs along the top from Instant Action through Exit) - the version is always in the lower right corner.

I'm worried you may have the wrong version if you used an All-In-One installer... there is some serious forums cleanup needed at the BMS website...

If it says 4.32 then you have the older buggier version.

If it says 4.33.5 (Build 16084) then you have the correct and most current version.  The confusing bit is that 4.32 and 4.33 each have updates with numbers for names (U1, U2, etc) but the major version updates are not linear (4.32 does NOT update to 4.33) so 4.33 must be installed separately.

Cool part is if you accidentally installed the 4.32 version, you can immediately proceed to download and install the 4.33 version (and then all it's updates) because it does not interfere with 4.32 and will install to a separate folder like a new program.  A lot of bug fixes and graphical enhancements have come out, it's best to use the most current version by far! Plus it's required to get online with us for some live training sessions!

I personally have both versions, never really uninstalled 4.32, so you can trust me when I say it's okay to have both - they only take up less than 6GB of space :hi:

Thank you for the info.

I have version 4.33.1, Build 15227.

I thought I read that the updater I used took me up to the current (latest) version, but with my time being usually limited, I may have overlook a step or another update in my haste (since I just downloaded it yesterday). I have lots to read and learn and I also  know it takes time to understand all the nuances, settings, updates and configurations (as in your example).  So, as to avoid any more confusion on my part...where would the "correct" updater be (if the one I used isn't the right one?)

4 hours ago, Jersans said:

I must learn how to fly one day...

Welcome Steve.

Please don't. We know from PR what happens ;)

Welcome Steve you've found a great community.:crigon_04:

The pre-requirement for installing the updates is to have the original BMS 4.33 U1 SETUP FOLDER (which you have) available (never delete this). This is the one with the blue coloured setup.exe  The folder is not your actual game folder that you use to start BMS itself. It is the folder wherever you downloaded and extracted the main BMS 4.33 U1 base installer.

Download all the updates (2,3,4 and 5) into a folder then run each one. It will ask you where the SETUP FOLDER is. Running the updates (1 at a time) MODIFYS the base setup file. When all 4 updates have been run then the blue setup file can be run to update you bms installation with the updates of your choice.

Some of the updates are only officially available as torrent downloads. Simple and safe process actually though people have uploaded them to cloud storage if you look.

The above is largely copy/paste from various sources.

I read this a few days ago, and I believe/thought I did this before - I installed the "update". 

I have all the parts I believe. I may have overlooked something though. I'll try again.

4 hours ago, Risiko94 said:

What version of Project Reality is this?

Risiko its not PR man, its a modified version of the original Falcon 4.0  F-16 simulator only its 100 times better. It'll only cost you $6.99 to download the original Falcon 4.0 game from Steam and then its a matter of installing the BMS application on top of it. Bloody full on simulator that is a huge learning curve if you've never flown simulators before. Try it out and join the =VG= Squadron!! We need more pilots!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/429530/Falcon_40/

• Like 1

Ya know, that vaguely reminds me of a project from the past where the grunts in Arma would be able to call in an airstrike, which communicated to a pilot playing BMS who would then drop ordinance at supplied coordinates, and the bomb would fall in the Arma game in sync.  Not sure if it ever got off the ground, but with what I know about Arma scripting, and BMS live data extraction, it's certainly possible.

If only it was possible in PR... take an air strike called by the commander on our PR server, task it to a bird on our BMS server, sync the results... lol

• Like 1