6 years PANG, and 4 USMC. I enjoy gaming, but hardly have time to do it. My son and I run a small flight sim center for entertainment, and work a second shift job, and we have Veterans Day every Tuesday, (8 networked PC's). Except for my son, we're over 50 and still standing, a couple suffer from PTSD every now and then, so I will keep up on post regarding it. I deal mostly with flight simulation, but we play War Thunder (tanks) as a disorganized squad and sometimes Call of Duty 2.  Anything related to Vietnam is out of the question. They prefer WWII, and sometimes Insurgency.  There are way to many games out there for me to figure out which ones are best for us to play. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Hello and welcome!  Thanks for your service, man!  Hope to see you around! :hi:

I'd recommend Wargame: Red Dragon -- a great RTS military game for a group of people against AI (or other humans if you wish).  The games Squad and Insurgency are both great coop/teamwork games, too - both affordable and not needing a supercomputer to run.

That ARK Survival is also a great group game, different genre tho - it's a survival world with dinosaurs - a bit unforgiving, but with a group, it's a blast!  Starts you on a beach with nothing, then before long, you build yourself some kind of base, start taming dinos to ride and fight for you, and it's got a heavy focus on cooperation and teamwork.

• Like 2

Squad looks like a decent simulation, but my PC's don't make the mins. So we'll stick to Insurgency for the time being. Red Dragon looks pretty intensive, with a learning curve too.

Hello, iam not sure if i fully understand your question, but here are some games you might enjoy:

1. Project Reality (Click me)

Project Reality is the main game we are all playing here. 50 vs 50 or 40 vs BOTS. Jets, Helis, APCs, Tanks, Trucks, Jeeps, you name it. Many different factions and weapons, many different wars post WW2 (WW2 update will come soon). You can find a complete maplist HERE and HERE. The games can be really really intense, so your friends suffering from PTSD should take it slow. Has a few vietnam maps. Fast reaction times aren't as important, the focus is on teamplay, communication and organisation. And it is completly FREE, no ingameshop, no hidden fee, nothing required.

2. Squad (Click me)

Squad is the unofficial successor to Project Reality. Some of their developers started working on this game. They play similar, but right now it doesn't even come close to PR in terms of scope. If you like PR, try Squad.

3. Arma (Click me)

The Arma Franchise is probably the best known milsim out there. It's like a giant sandbox with many mods. For roleplay and quick action you can use the serverbrowser, if you want to have more tactical scenarios i recommend joining one of many arma clans. Iam not sure how big the arma scene in Veterans Gaming is.

Google does a surprisingly good job if you are looking for videogames. Just enter "world war 2 games" f.e. and you find a big list. If you are using Steam, the shop is also very good. Just add all the tags you like ("military", "shooter", "multiplayer", etc.) and look through the list.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Risiko94 said:

Iam not sure how big the arma scene in Veterans Gaming is.

You'll find a lot of the Arma guys from =VG= over at LAMBs because they're dedicated to that one game and filled with a ton of our old friends from Arma (some of those VG guys still wear =VG= tags, ah the love!) ;)

Steam and Google can be surprisingly misleading, though they are great resources to use for searching games -- what I mean is, did anyone else notice how hard it was to find GOOD new games during the Steam Summer Sale?  That was painful.  So many "app" like games and mini-games flooding the pages, and no good sorting options for some reason for exactly what was on sale in a given genre.   Pro tip: browse throughout the year and use the "Wishlist" often, so you can find them again when sales happen - even gives you notification when something on your wishlist goes on sale.  Getting older and can't remember all the things I browsed throughout the year that were either still in early access or just a bit too expensive to "try".  Steam Wishlist FTW    
*(also, some of us buy games for each other now and then to get them into the game asap, so that helps a lot)

Can't believe I assumed you heard of Project Reality -- like Double and Risiko said, if you lot haven't tried out Project Reality, you are missing a gem of a great teamwork military game!  One caviat is that there are Vietnam war "maps" integrated into it, but one could simple not put them into the maplist on one's server and you'd never even notice.  It's mostly modern military.  Soon, there will also be many integrated WW2 maps with authentic weapons, etc.  but again, these are up to the server maplist so if you run your own server, you can set it how you wish.

FTR, we do run Vietnam maps in our randomized rotation on the VG PR COOP Server, as do most of the other servers out there.  The game is free, and you guys would be able to apply for a license to host a server (also free), so long as you have your own hardware to run it on (windows or linux).

:hi:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I did not played any online game except project reality since two years ago, why? because you just can'nt play any other game when you taste project reality.

Go install it and you will see by yourself how the gaming time will take your lifetime from you, this game is a lifetime magnet.

Do'nt try this at home. LoooL.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Maybe if you get better equipment Squad like other people said or Post Scriptum (WW2 variant of Squad).

More suggestions:

• Men of War Assault Squad 2 (Strategy game)
  • Company of Heroes (same as above)
  • Day of Infamy (Insurgency but WW2)
  • Like 2

I'm basically looking for video games that require some team work, and not a lot of gore like Sniper Elite 2 has. I am not a combat veteran, so I don't have problems with PTSD. On the other hand, some of the guys that come by do. Just looking out for them.

You could try Red Orchestra/Rising Storm

https://store.steampowered.com/app/35450/Red_Orchestra_2_Heroes_of_Stalingrad_with_Rising_Storm/

While most players mostly go lone wolf, team working is definitely a mechanic of the game, wich in my opinion, is the key to wining some matches

I have a extra guest pass laying around in my Steam inventory that gives you a temporary copy of the game to test it out but sadly I can only send as a gift on South America... If you live in South America and is willing to give the game a try I can give you the pass

• Like 2

You can give it to anybody. However he needs to use an VPN to redeem the code to obtain the game. After that you can just play it like any other game without VPN. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

PTSD is a bitch but we have to deal with it. Project Reality is fun to play if the right people are online, I guess Squad still need a bit of work on it. But if you are into WW2 just wait for the PR:WW2 I promise you'll be satisfied.

• Like 1

Day of infamy plays alot like Insurgency (same dev) and is easy on low end computers, it should also be relatively cheap.  Another good WWII game i enjoy is Steel Division: Normandy 44, it plays alot like the Wargame series (same dev) and like the name suggests, takes place in 1944 Normandy.

Don't be afraid to try Wargame or Steel Division, if your just playing together, you can learn the game at your own pace while playing against AI. They do have a learning curve, but most games do in this day and age. The major problem people have on those games are concepts that people in the military are already aware of, like infantry in the open are dead infantry, or the concept of using recon units to their fullest.

Edit: Also, neither one has any major gore, However Day of Infamy has mods that do increase the chaos of battle similar to Insurgency's mods that do the same, but those are easily avoided.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

You'll find a lot of the Arma guys from =VG= over at LAMBs because they're dedicated to that one game and filled with a ton of our old friends from Arma (some of those VG guys still wear =VG= tags, ah the love!) ;)

:hi:

Don't forget that Veterans Gaming also runs a server for Falcon BMS 4.33.5 that's a full flight sim for the F-16.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to be part of our adventure.

May your game time be Exciting!!

You are in good company and there are lots of likeminded folks here who are always happy to help.

In no time you will be up and running in what ever games you wish to play.

• Like 3

I know i sound like a broken record, but only because Project Reality is such a great game. We are all happy to explain it to you if you need a tutorial. Download it, read the manual and jump on our Veterans Gaming COOP Server. Just ask for help if you need it, we have a very friendly playerbase (The best in project reality, i may proudly add).

• Like 3

Downloaded PR and started wandering around a bit solo. Seems decent enough. I will show it to them this Tuesday. I hope the WWII version pans out.

Thanks for the input! We will look at the various recommendations.

• Like 3

Coop will be coming once I get the motivation to do it xD. Currently the map layouts are not final and until that’s done I shall not generate a navmesh. I rather focus on the current maplist until then. 

• Like 1

I would play project reality, i dont know alot about ptsd but it is a pretty realistic combat simulator when it wants to be, come play on the coop server where its a bit more chill and less people yelling at you then try out deployment.

• Like 2

Someone ( =VG= Kavalenko ) finally mentioned flight sims which was referred to in the OP. I would be interested Vertigo to hear a little detail of the flight sim center you run. What sim/sims are they ?

• Like 1

Welcome gents...prior service member here too<<...thank you for your service guys ,hope you can make some Coop appearances...cya out there!!  

• Like 1