Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

back to start

ranger_12

10 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

I like to reinstall/ restart from zero. It is the moment you realise the amount of .net redistribution junk you need to install. 

Prob soon I would have to do the same when I gonna get my new PC 

Yes i was dumb enough to think that i can use old HDD ''i mean OS'' on the new motherboard lol ... i got pissed and >>>Format  and thats a way to lose something ! 

Yea, that's how that happens.  Impatience is paid back in data loss.  Today you learned that an OS installation is specific to a motherboard, and any vast changes while the OS drive is removed from that motherboard will null and void the OS install.

Good tip, if one can afford it, when upgrading PC's, keep the old hard drive separate and buy a new one for the new PC -- then install the old HDD into the new system as a secondary drive.  Over time, once you pull all your data off the old drive, you can then re-format it for more space (deleting the WinOS files) with no data loss.

Wish I could have told you that last week... I feel for ya, bro!  It happened to me once way back when I deleted the MBR from my data drive by accidentally adding it to the RAID array - when I took it back out realizing what I did, none of the data was accessible due to the master boot record being wiped.  All the data was still there, that was the most frustrating part.

*On that note, there are tools to recover data from a formatted drive, but they can get expensive (or free but very risky or shady)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I know that too well ^^ ... Since I process several TB of data in the month I have a lot to do with hard drives, and unfortunately I've already killed many.
the most important thing about dealing with defective / deleted / formatted hard disks is always: switch off the computer immediately and do not shut down. The best way is remove the hard drive and think carefully what to do next. and in no case make anything that triggers a write operation. if there is no harwaredefct you can restore the data in 95% of the cases.

except many raid systems. curse and blessing at the same time.^^

I'm 51 years old, I begin to do coding since 1986, i created 120 different games by myself at the time 1990 (foxpro, vbasic, a little c++ for game source coding), I did game mapping, edited and created levels scripts, i do repare computers hardware since 1990, i do electronics since 1986, i teach pcs hardware.

But: since ranger had troubles with his connexion, i don't have faith on my knowledge anymore.

just currius: how is it going with your connexion ranger (since new installation).