Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

WUT THE ... ?

ranger_12

Try this to be shure that not the way to your router...

run "CMD". ( search for "CMD" in the prompt. )

Type "ping -t yourgateway" (you find your gateway, if you go to your networkapdater at details. should be someting like 192.168.01 or 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1...)

leave the window in the background and play pr. the next time you get connection problems go back to the cmd and press ctrl + c to stop ping. see if you get at this time "connection timeouts".

if you get lost packages or timeouts then it is up to your computer or router. if everything goes well it's up to your isp or you have dns-problems.

you can change your dns to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4  or 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 to test it.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15037-dns-addressing-how-change-windows-7-a.html

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

No, you are just fine as far as the server thinks ... Do you get this same issue on other PR servers?

That would be a large indicator of the issue being on your end...

4/5 times when i lose connection to VG server i refresh the list of servers i see all servers except VG for like 5 --> 8 secs ... then it appears again.

im trying to find the problem here ... and i have tried everything ... now all i asked is check my account situation please. maybe ... 

and thx for your help. SemlerPDX

44 minutes ago, ranger_12 said:

4/5 times when i lose connection to VG server i refresh the list of servers i see all servers except VG for like 5 --> 8 secs ... then it appears again.

I have it too. I assume that pr just needs some time to realize that you have no connection to the server anymore and therefore it is not displayed. I think that has nothing to do with your problem.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ranger_12 said:

This part is the same for everyone. Servers displayed on that list are no indication of your ability to connect to them. It must be something else.

48 minutes ago, ranger_12 said:

now all i asked is check my account situation please.

I wish we could help, but this is not something we have access to any deeper than ensuring you are not on the ban list and that you can at least connect to that server in team speak which is also the PR server, so you know your account is good with us. Again, wish I had answers but we need to keep working through this with advice from smarter people ;)

Hang in there bro! Keep the faith!

See you all when I get home from vacation

:beach:

• Upvote 4

I set up a static IP address and port forwarded my router specifically for Project Reality, that takes a wee bit of time to setup but I find it is more stable and reliable.

"Routers were not designed to allow incoming network requests and some games can play tremendously better if an incoming connection is forwarded through the router to the game ". quote from this page on port forwarding". You add the following ports for Battlefield 2

TCP Ports
4711, 27901, 28910, 29900, 299
UDP Ports
1500-4999, 16567, 27900, 29900

I used the following link to help me set that up but there are other threads on the net that go into more detail if you need it.

https://portforward.com/battlefield-2/

• Upvote 3

did not know that the server is in Kassel. that is 150 km away from me ^^

That sounds like it's a bad internet connection.

the only thing that could possibly help would be another router. If you can borrow one somewhere and have your access data I would give it a try. The port shares of kavelenko could also be tried but if it ran before, I do not think thats the problem. your provider will probably be the reason or bad and/or congested internet lines.

1 - Install avast antivirus (free version) and make it up to date.

2 - run full scan and eventualy delete infected files (or push them into quarantine till you find out how to clean them if they are still needed).

3 - do hard reset your rooter and set up your internet connexion.

4 - set your ADSL mode to ADSL2+ (dont let it stay on AUTO).

5 - disable UDP mode on rooter (it's a possible breach and not needed for the game).

6 - run network scan in avast and follow the recomandations (all of them even change wifi and rooter admin passwords if necessary).

7 - set your antivirus updates time from auto to a certain time that you are not playing the game (maybe at computer startup time).

8 - check if someone at home is watching videos or doing massive updates at the time you lose connexion with the server (maybe you phone and you dont know it).

9 - set windows update to manual (something like: let me know but do not download) or just disable it if you are ok with it (i dont use windows update at all).

10 - check your phone line if there is some crapy sound in it, if so, call service to fix the line. You may also check rooter wires conectors if they are crapy or so and may buy new ones. Try to use your modem without a filter and put the line wire directly into the modem, sometimes filter is the problem.

11 - download latest driver for your network interface (wifi or wired).

12 - For DNS things you can watch this: 

and download the program here: https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Hope this help.

Sorry warghost but i lost it at step one when you mentioned installing avast. 

@ranger_12

you can just do an basic test while running pr

open CMD and type

ping 5.9.23.136 -t

when you are getting disconnected from the game check if you had any loss in the console. you can also check it by pressing Control+C and it should tell you like ... packages lost. 

If you do have losses then its good you start looking at Traceroute and see if you can manage to bypass instable segments.

But for the best ranger just try the VPN I send you on PM its once of the best VPN providers and i use it when i am on hollidayz to get fast interwerbs

And still your ping is that high. xD

2 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

when you are getting disconnected from the game check if you had any loss in the console. you can also check it by pressing Control+C and it should tell you like ... packages lost. 

2 hours ago, WarGhost said:

1 - Install avast antivirus (free version) and make it up to date.

2 - run full scan and eventualy delete infected files (or push them into quarantine till you find out how to clean them if they are still needed).

Rangers did a pingtest yesterday and there were no problems. ping has never lost packs or had timeouts.
So everything is ok until the router. either the router has problems with the internet connection or the provider itself.
of course it could have a virus but this would not be responsible for the crashes.

3 - do hard reset your rooter and set up your internet connexion.

that, or open the ports could help.

4 - set your ADSL mode to ADSL2+ (dont let it stay on AUTO).

5 - disable UDP mode on rooter (it's a possible breach and not needed for the game).

only if he uses adsl...

I can not imagine that UDP is responsible for that.

6 - run network scan in avast and follow the recomandations (all of them even change wifi and rooter admin passwords if necessary).

7 - set your antivirus updates time from auto to a certain time that you are not playing the game (maybe at computer startup time).

8 - check if someone at home is watching videos or doing massive updates at the time you lose connexion with the server (maybe you phone and you dont know it).

9 - set windows update to manual (something like: let me know but do not download) or just disable it if you are ok with it (i dont use windows update at all).

10 - check your phone line if there is some crapy sound in it, if so, call service to fix the line. You may also check rooter wires conectors if they are crapy or so and may buy new ones. Try to use your modem without a filter and put the line wire directly into the modem, sometimes filter is the problem.

that would have been seen on the ping.

11 - download latest driver for your network interface (wifi or wired).

can not hurt, but that would have been seen on the ping too.

12 - For DNS things you can watch this: 

he also tried ... but crashed anyway.

But for the best ranger just try the VPN I send you on PM its once of the best VPN providers and i use it when i am on hollidayz to get fast interwerbs

that's a really cool idea ^^

And still your ping is that high. xD

I have a ping between 10 and 50 with dsl and mobile 38-80 ... I do not think its high ^ ^ only if I do other things at the same time with the mobile it goes up ...

• Like 1

Well all valid points but did he do an continuous pingtest or just the default ping command?

I can do a ping now and be perfectly fine but 2 seconds after it i might lose connection for 10 ms.

Its best you just keep running the ping command in the background and check it where if it timesout at the same moment he disconnects from the server.

I guess the best is to await the VPN test results. I never have any issues in other country's when I use that VPN client (cyberghost)

8 hours ago, 0100011000101 said:

Well, it's not.  Not sure where that information came from, but I don't always know how networks and the infrastructures connect.  I just know where our server is physically located, in a massive datacenter... more than 200 km from Kassel in Vogtlandkreis. They have another datacenter in Nürnberg, but still that's quite a distance from Kassel.  Just FYI

Thank you so much for your help @0100011000101!  I know ranger must be feeling pretty helpless and alone with this issue, but you have provided some much needed expertise and experience in troubleshooting his problems, and all of us need a guy like you to help out once in awhile when we hit a wall.  Cheers, bro!  Hope you guys can get to the bottom of this!

I can assure you we have nothing running on the server that would cause these fairly regular interruptions in his otherwise stable connection to our server.  Furthermore, he is the ONLY person out of many, many people who regularly play on this server every day that has this very specific issue.

Common sense tells me that this issue needs to be examined first from his end as we have been doing.  Getting more information directly around the time when these disconnects actually occur would be invaluable - that should be a major focus of this troubleshooting effort, if possible.

7 hours ago, WarGhost said:

WRONG!!  (just messing with you, WarGhost - don't take it personal) :tatice_03:

SERIOUSLY THOUGH - NO ONE READING THIS SHOULD DISABLE ANY UDP MODE ON THEIR ROUTER UNLESS WELL EDUCATED ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING WHEN YOU DO THIS!

Please do not re-post "shot in the dark" suggestions you may have found on some random webpage like this without any further information describing why, how, or in what way this would benefit anyone.  There is a reason to "try" turning a thing off for a test, but a blanket rule of "turn off UDP mode" without respect for other games or activities on that computer is just bad practice.  This would most likely introduce MORE lag in his multiplayer online games (even if not PR itself).  That one is up there with "put the computer's IP in the router's DMZ and leave it there".  Don't do this!  There may be a reason for ranger's intermittent disconnects when he has an otherwise stable connection, but unless it's shown that it is due to an unacceptable drop rate on his end of the connection, UDP and TCP should both be made available to his router.

*connecting to the internet is a possible breach - everything is; primary communications protocols are about as broad a term to use for a "potential breach".... just sayin.

Click to read StackOverflow article

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Well, it's not.  Not sure where that information came from, but I don't always know how networks and the infrastructures connect.  I just know where our server is physically located, in a massive datacenter... more than 200 km from Kassel in Vogtlandkreis. They have another one in Nürnberg, but still that's quite a distance from Kassel.  Just FYI

@0100011000101

He got that from my speedtest.net results. According to this page the Veterans IP address is coming from the data center in Nuremberg.

vets.jpg.5ec8f28bd73ca99d6c4df70ac913bd0c.jpg

Not sure which server that would be on the speedtest.net page so just picked one.

7450673321.png

• Upvote 1

for =VG= SemlerPDX

dont get me wrong:

first, i ment uPnP not UDP that was my mistake (sorry Ranger).

second: avast was recomanding me to disable uPnP because it can be a possible breach for hackers, so avast said that, not me, and i consider that avast is made by pro persons and i'm supose to follow what they say cz they know much better than me right ?

anyway i did all those steps and :

before: i had connexion losts.

now: i'm playing just fine.

and hey, that was funny video there LoooooooooooooL.

now for binary guy

Double and me are living in same country, we use same kind of internet, we have same internet provider and our internet settings are totaly different from europe ones, i mean the way we wire things, kind or rooter we use and so.

Double know what i'm talking about when i say check this or check that.

Thank you so much guys for replies, its always instrutive, i hope Double will fix his problem quickly.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, WarGhost said:

first, i ment uPnP not UDP that was my mistake (sorry Double).

second: avast was recomanding me to disable uPnP because it can be a possible breach for hackers, so avast said that, not me, and i consider that avast is made by pro persons and i'm supose to follow what they say cz they know much better than me right ?

Roger that.  Universal Plug and Play is quite different than disabling an entire comm protocol for speed or security purposes.  Glad you cleared that up.

If one is going to manually configure port forwarding for the various internet gaming software(s) they may use, uPnP can be disabled without causing any issues.  uPnP is an automatic system to decide what traffic goes to which computer on the router, and so it's going to come down to the router (or modem) manufacturer and the software/firmware handling the uPnP tasks as to whether it's any good at it.  Great for some ideas, but for gaming/hobbyist applications where you do the work yourself to tell it what traffic on what ports goes to which IP on the router, it can get in the way.

Concerning the "pro persons" at avast, I would say that unless you get one to talk to you directly with knowledge of your home computer/internet setup and speed, you are getting "blanket knowledge" that does not always apply to a specific person or situation.  In that way, I recommend to avoid listening to that kind of advice where no further information is provided as to why/how and what is happening when you do the thing they "recommend".  Do the hard work and research things yourself as needed - it usually doesn't take long to brief yourself on a new or foreign concept, especially if you already have some basic knowledge to build upon.

Knowledge is power.  Always remember, "First jou get the power, then jou get the money, then jou get the weeemen".     :sarcastic: (...or is it money first? lol)
scarface.PNG

glad you enjoy my old ass movie references haha

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

Well all valid points but did he do an continuous pingtest or just the default ping command?

Yes he did. we were both online. and apparently there were no big changes to the ping.

7 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

more than 200 km from Kassel in Vogtlandkreis. They have another datacenter in Nürnberg, but still that's quite a distance from Kassel. 

Kavelenko is right. I saw it at his speed test. the vogtland is really far away from kassel and from me ^ ^ but these speed tests are always pretty inaccurate with locations

Thank you so much for your help @0100011000101!  I know ranger must be feeling pretty helpless and alone with this issue

no problem;) I'm not an IT professional but in my job I have a lot to do with such things ... I see it just like you, it is frustrating when you have to spend hours dealing with something and you have no clues and does not really know what to looking for.
and i have many people around me who are able to handle surfaces but do not know what happens under the surface.

but thank you for the flowers. (Is there such a saying in English? ^^)

Please do not re-post "shot in the dark" suggestions

@WarGhost

That's why I attacked your text that way. it might have been a little aggressive, but I did not want to attack you with that. we have spent quite a lot of time with the problem of ranger and your solutions would have probably made more problems than fix it.
antivirus software is often responsible for the fact that something is not working. that it tells you to switch off upnp is a general safety tip. in rangers case it would even make more sense to turn upnp on to see if pr works better. but it will not be up to that ...

4 hours ago, WarGhost said:

i consider that avast is made by pro persons and i'm supose to follow what they say cz they know much better than me right ?

yes and no.

These are professionals who know what they are doing. But these are general solutions for thousands of users. But here we have a special case and there are general solutions rather harmful. avast knows neither ranger nor his setup.
if you have no idea, such complete solutions are often of advantage. but if something does not work then you need another professional who will help you...

semler is right. there is always more than one way in IT and often what is right for one, is wrong for the other.

we use same kind of internet,

my internet is not different than yours. I would even say we use the same internet ;)

and our internet settings are totaly different from europe ones

are you sure? sure, we may have different ISPs but what is so different about your settings?

i mean the way we wire things, kind or rooter we use and so.

how are you wire things? we use cat.5 to cat.7 cable, fiber or coaxial cable ... and I do not think your router are different than ours. 

but I will like to learn ...

so that the whole thing does not become tooftopic:
@ranger_12

What kind of (antivirus) software do you run in the background? a suite?

do you have the possibility to try another router? but for this you need your access data ... it could not only be due to the configuration but maybe just a hardware defect (heat, dry capacitors, etc ...)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Knowledge is power. 

jap. ;)

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

...I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Knowledge is power.  Always remember, "First jou get the power, then jou get the money, then jou get the weeemen".     :sarcastic: (...or is it money first? lol)
scarface.PNG

glad you enjoy my old ass movie references haha

, then get the weeemen. then you get destroyed by those weeemen, so be carfull ;) because may those weeemen take your money and knowledge too LOL

• Upvote 2

i use kaspersky anti virus but i checked it its not blocking me. this problem started only 1 month ago. and yes you are very helpful guys thank you very much. and yes i like to ask in here and get some experiences because you are so good guys. thank you again and may Allah (GOD)  guide you to the right path ;) ... 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2