Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Good to see all the new pilots on the VG server

=VG= Kavelenko

Hey last night we had a lot of new guys joining the BMS server, one particular flight was quite entertaining when we were attacked by MiG 29s, thankfully Waltrick and CobaltUK dealt with the threat while the rest of the bomber crew attacked our targets. There's a few guys coming via the discord route, all good. Good to see and meet new blood.

Daniel and I are currently having a lot of fun just bombing the hell out of SAM sites across the map, every now and then we take a caning but its not too bad all the same. We're a little unconventional in that we don't have mission briefs like some guys are used to but hey we're noobs....we're not supposed to know what we're doing!

Best mission of the week, when Geek and CobaltUK were landing in unison and I landed between them going in the other direction!!....lol. No one died.

2018-01-16_034359.jpg

2018-01-16_062714.jpg

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

Btw does this message in BMS mean the server is crashing?

No, not necessarily.  Though it may be indicative of an instability on the server (or the client).  On December 10th, we changed a particular setting to attempt to increase stability.  It is important for players to note times when these "blue pause messages" appear, including any information about the current game that could be relevant such as number of current players and their country of origin when connecting.

It is certainly something that can cause a problem, when these messages happen often or in multiplayer flights, and we'd like to stop scratching our head on the matter and have a setup or SOP to deal with it.  At this point, all we can do is ask players to note and report.

It's okay to concede that BMS is built on a very old game to a point, and we are certainly doing what no other server does (or recommends), which is a free-to-join public campaign running 24/7.  But we won't put up walls just to gain a little more stability, so some punches we need to roll with.

When this happened, the game is just frozen, nothing more I could do other than hit Esc and press E to exit back to the 2D console.

Pretty sure we did have several players coming and going on the server so that could have been the problem, we'll keep an eye on it and try to note down details about who's on time of day (ZULU time) etc, may help.

@sandstormYou can always use F1, F2 when you are in the 2D area of BMS, or click on the Comms tab and see who is in the chat lobby.

Have you sorted out the communications protocols for the VG radio channels.

If Semler or anyone who has it bookmarked post the link to how we should set that up would be appreciated. I'm finding that guys are coming in for the first time, have no idea how to do that or they have come from a different BMS environment and are not aware of our particular presets that we use.

Not that I'm aware of Sandstorm, I've installed Discord before so I might try it again and see if it has any side effects on my BMS.

Were you having trouble in that last flight, last time I looked you were upside down and falling. Looked like you may have been having trouble is all.

Daniel and I managed to get through and drop our payloads ok, just taking a break now be back soon.

2018-01-19_030553.jpg

Jees those JSOWs pack a punch!

2018-01-19_030557.jpg

Way to rack them scores up!

2018-01-19_052608.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ok Sandstorm not to worry shit happens.

On another topic and perhaps I should make this a different thread.

We really need to have a SOP on how to frag a package on the VG server. Now I know Semler has posted two references to videos that go into a lot of depth on how it should be done but to be honest they are not done that way on the VG server, especially the point that Krause makes regarding turning off the Air Tasking Order for a squadron. Don't get me wrong its a very detailed video and I learned a lot from it but it is not how the VG server is currently set up and I don't think Semler would want us to literally frag packages in the way Krause suggests in his video.

So it would be nice if one of the experienced pilots here would write up or create a short video tute on how to create a package for a 4 ship mission. It doesn't need to be over complicated just a short mission to a target, drops bombs, etc and return to base. Sem showed me how to frag a package initially but since then I've adapted it a bit to save myself time, and usually I don't need to make adjustments to the takeoff time.

Any takers? CobaltUK, Static, Semler, Brain, Blud, you guys are the experts.

Morning. I would happily create a video on fragging a flight if you like. I have created a few tutorials for games in the past. I know I am not the most experienced by a long shot, but I can frag a flight. Just a option if the more experienced guys don't have time etc. Also I have a shed load of BMS documents that I have borrowed lately and I could share them if you wanted to add them to your download list. I have things like a Brevity document , tactical references etc.

• Upvote 1

You could make a video on fragging a package if you want sandstorm but my request is aimed at the VG BMS admins who know what the best way is for our server.

Krause is a respected member of the BMS community and has been around a long time but his tutorial if you follow it to the letter, is not the way to frag a mission on the VG server, and may cause issues if someone were able to do it the way he does it.

So its not about fragging any old package and I'm sure there are plenty who can do it, but is it the best way to do it for the VG server? Already Semler's instructions about setting up radio channel presets is different to some other servers but we are the VG server and this is the way we do things. Its more about avoiding confusion and not having to run through the whole procedure in detail while pressing F1 in the 2D console, not the best way to handle it.

Understood , well the offer is there so I am fine either way. I may just do one and then people can QA it to see if it is any good. Wont be offended either way. 

on a seperate note it is great to see so many nice and polite guys on the server. Its a refreshing change fron normal online servers. Had a few great flights with Peter Pilot last  last night and Colbalt a couple of days ago.

Thanks all

• Upvote 1