Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

The tricky bolt action rifle

Aori

I assume you're talking about sniper kit in PR so I will try to describe it as simple as possible.

In PR, there are few things to remember when using rifles over long ranges:

1) Bullet Physics:  If your target is past 300m, most likely you will need to aim higher in order to hit the target. Some rifle scopes/magnified sights, such as PSO-1 from Dragunov SVD or ACOG from M16/M4-style rifles has a bullet drop compensator (BDC) reticle, meaning there is either a crosshair or a chevron underneath the regular crosshair that you can use in case your target is farther than where your rifle scope/sight is zeored at. If BDC is available in your rifle scope/sight and your spotter is actually using Ground Laser Target Designator (GLTD), it may help you shoot better, but given the nature of CO-OP you're most likely need to bring your reticle above the target without knowing the distance. Also, be aware that if you and your target is not in a same elevation, that does take an effect on where you need to put your crosshair so be mindful of your and your target's location.

2) Travel Distance/Speed: Guns in PR are NOT hit-scanning weapon, meaning bullets actually travel in the air and they take some time to reach the intended target(s). The longer the distance your target is from your gun, the longer it takes for the bullet to hit the target. Therefore, if you are shooting at a moving object, and they're moving sideways, you will need to lead the target, and this can be rather complicated as every target will be in a different environment. However, you can eliminate this problem by understanding the target's "direction."

3) Direction: If your target is heading towards you, then it means the only thing you need to worry about is how high you need to aim. If your target is moving either left/right side, that means you not only need to calculate how high you need to aim, but also understand how much you need to lead your reticle. Therefore, try to set your sniper nest position wisely and make sure enemy targets are coming TOWARDS you, not PASSING BY you.

4) Accuracy: Every gun in PR, except ones attached to something, requires you to stay in stop moving for few seconds before it gets accurate enough to hit the target. This means not only you need to stop moving your body, but also stop moving your reticle. Some guns are more forgiving than others, but bolt-action sniper rifles give the most amount of penalty by moving. Therefore, stay prone as much as you can and aim at one direction as much as you can.

I wish I could be more specific of how to aim, where to aim, and which position to take when playing specific maps, but sniping in this game was never meant to be something you just learn for 10 minutes and be good at. It may not be as complex and difficult as other mil-sim games, it also isn't as simple as quickscoping at COD so take your time to learn your rifle and the terrain. If you do your part and do some homework, someday it will "click" in your brain and suddenly do better at sniping.

If I could give you one solid advice for sniping, try to use marksman kit first before getting into bolt-action sniper kits. Mk.12 SPR may not look as cool as M40A5, but they're semi-automatic so it is much more easier to get a follow-up shot and helps you understand the bullet physics/travel distance/direction, without making you frustrated because you just emptied a whole mag on an insurgent and he killed you 200m away with his mosin-nagant. 

Good luck,

ZZANG

• Upvote 3

All I can suggest is seat time, with these games now they have built in a deviance that you must account for and even when "100% settled" you still have an opportunity to miss. Here are some questions that could help me help you:

What is your stance when attempting a shot? 

How often do you get back on target between shots? 

Are they moving or stationary? 

The great thing about most of the modern games is they have the built in sights to account for all of this, for instance ACOG's have a built in picture sight for a person walking, a person running, and a stationary target.  IRL some sights are calibrated for specific calibers and positions to account for this and video game DEVS have taken this into effect.  If worse comes to worse, try taking them to a "rifle range map" and ID what your distance and factors are that impact your shot.  I had to do this for learning the "NEW RUSSIAN SCOPES" and this helped a lot.  Also going into a map with a "spotter" can help track shots if you can not properly ID where the round went.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, =VG= m823us said:

All I can suggest is seat time, with these games now they have built in a deviance that you must account for and even when "100% settled" you still have an opportunity to miss. Here are some questions that could help me help you:

What is your stance when attempting a shot? 

How often do you get back on target between shots? 

Are they moving or stationary? 

The great thing about most of the modern games is they have the built in sights to account for all of this, for instance ACOG's have a built in picture sight for a person walking, a person running, and a stationary target.  IRL some sights are calibrated for specific calibers and positions to account for this and video game DEVS have taken this into effect.  If worse comes to worse, try taking them to a "rifle range map" and ID what your distance and factors are that impact your shot.  I had to do this for learning the "NEW RUSSIAN SCOPES" and this helped a lot.  Also going into a map with a "spotter" can help track shots if you can not properly ID where the round went.

For those who 100-150 m I usually crouch and wait about 3-4 s and than shot, shot again after 1-2 s

7 hours ago, ZZANG1847 said:

I assume you're talking about sniper kit in PR so I will try to describe it as simple as possible.

1) Bullet Physics:  If your target is past 300m, most likely you will need to aim higher in order to hit the target. Some rifle scopes/magnified sights, such as PSO-1 from Dragunov SVD or ACOG from M16/M4-style rifles has a bullet drop compensator (BDC) reticle, meaning there is either a crosshair or a chevron underneath the regular crosshair that you can use in case your target is farther than where your rifle scope/sight is zeored at. If BDC is available in your rifle scope/sight and your spotter is actually using Ground Laser Target Designator (GLTD), it may help you shoot better, but given the nature of CO-OP you're most likely need to bring your reticle above the target without knowing the distance. Also, be aware that if you and your target is not in a same elevation, that does take an effect on where you need to put your crosshair so be mindful of your and your target's location.

2) Travel Distance/Speed: Guns in PR are NOT hit-scanning weapon, meaning bullets actually travel in the air and they take some time to reach the intended target(s). The longer the distance your target is from your gun, the longer it takes for the bullet to hit the target. Therefore, if you are shooting at a moving object, and they're moving sideways, you will need to lead the target, and this can be rather complicated as every target will be in a different environment. However, you can eliminate this problem by understanding the target's "direction."

3) Direction: If your target is heading towards you, then it means the only thing you need to worry about is how high you need to aim. If your target is moving either left/right side, that means you not only need to calculate how high you need to aim, but also understand how much you need to lead your reticle. Therefore, try to set your sniper nest position wisely and make sure enemy targets are coming TOWARDS you, not PASSING BY you.

4) Accuracy: Every gun in PR, except ones attached to something, requires you to stay in stop moving for few seconds before it gets accurate enough to hit the target. This means not only you need to stop moving your body, but also stop moving your reticle. Some guns are more forgiving than others, but bolt-action sniper rifles give the most amount of penalty by moving. Therefore, stay prone as much as you can and aim at one direction as much as you can.

I wish I could be more specific of how to aim, where to aim, and which position to take when playing specific maps, but sniping in this game was never meant to be something you just learn for 10 minutes and be good at. It may not be as complex and difficult as other mil-sim games, it also isn't as simple as quickscoping at COD so take your time to learn your rifle and the terrain. If you do your part and do some homework, someday it will "click" in your brain and suddenly do better at sniping.

If I could give you one solid advice for sniping, try to use marksman kit first before getting into bolt-action sniper kits. Mk.12 SPR may not look as cool as M40A5, but they're semi-automatic so it is much more easier to get a follow-up shot and helps you understand the bullet physics/travel distance/direction, without making you frustrated because you just emptied a whole mag on an insurgent and he killed you 200m away with his mosin-nagant. 

Good luck,

ZZANG

I believe that because the sit time I usually shot right after the arrow body touch.... I have this problem at <200m btw

7 hours ago, ZZANG1847 said:

Good luck,

ZZANG

Thanks for the tip meoww meoww :3