Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Project Reality

Major'

Hoenstly not trying to say this in a bad way but the best way, I'm honestly tired of being on PR with no admins and dealing with stupidity. It ruins the game for all and report does nothing for the players bc it doesnt help when we need it. This is a problem thats now starting to occur. Needs to be fixed

When I joined this evening it was a free for all for general rule violations and tking.  I think the biggest problem was there were a bunch of new people/names I didn't recognize on the server causing the mayhem. 

A side note.  A police chief I know lives in a tourist hotspot and tells me that people act like there are no rules when they come to vacation in their town for the first few weeks of summer.  They are too busy kicking back and letting loose to care.   I think the same phenomenon is happening in the game at this moment because of the holiday.

Peace brothers.

• Upvote 2

Reporting a player actually do something: It serves as a proof when you report the player to a admin because he can easily find that player through the logs because the player's name will be taged with the report.

Sadly we dont have admins online 24/7 but try to look for one in the TS server or send a PM to any admin online here on the forum

Or if you want you can add me and/or other admins on steam (if they also accept it) so you can easily find them, I stay on Steam all day so you will definitely find me there http://steamcommunity.com/id/8_bits/

Thinking about that VG should maybe make a Steam comunity so we can all comunicate with that.. just maybe

• Upvote 4

Like 8-bits said, look for PR Admins on TS3 first*, and use the report function in game so we can review any activity later.  It's not a useless function - though there are always going to be times around Holidays or just in general, where no admins are online at that time.

We are very careful in our Admin selection process and therefore it is not easy to simply fill the server with Admins who are covering all 24 hours of the server's uptime.  It's not something that can be "fixed" on any server anywhere, it's just a thing that happens during non-peak times or during Holiday seasons such as this, and especially on older games such as this.

We do appreciate specific reports here on the forum such as this, as it will direct our attention to the logs for the time period you are referring to.

:hi:

*I've been on TS3 for the last several hours, and I have PR tags next to my name which means I'm a PR Admin, and you could have maybe got my attention to sort out a mess.  Not everyone might respond, if they were AFK for example, but it's still worth a try.  Cheers!

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, InchPincherToo said:

Well they had one, here

Hope that helps everyone who readed this thread

re. Steam - yes, we have one, but it's incredibly difficult to manage an online community in 5 places at once, which is why groups such as Steam, Facebook, Discord, etc. are less effective and less popular than our standard forums or TS3 -- also, because those services are so seldom used by the public OR our group, they just lose out as "the" way to make a community work, and end up as just sign posts leading to our true home - the TS3 and website, and game servers.

• Upvote 2

Echo1,

12 hours ago, Echo1 said:

I'm honestly tired of being on PR with no admins and dealing with stupidity. It ruins the game for all and report does nothing...

We appreciate the concern.

Its the holiday season and obviously our admins are spending time with their loved ones. This is the main reason why many of our admins (Including myself) have not been very active lately.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having read your previous threads, I understand your frustration. 

I must kindly remind you that our admins are not only there to moderate the server but are also there to enjoy the game.

We all come online whenever possible and if a player requests our presence on TeamSpeak. We also have admins regularly checking over the logs (the report function is not as useless as you believe it to be). 

All our admins are actively looking at each player on the server and discussing if they are a viable candidate for admin rights. 

That said, there is a strong level of trust between our admins - This trust is built over time as all our admins are regular players with a strong sense of teamwork and cooperation. We cannot randomly pick players for admin rights as we need to know if we can trust them.

13 hours ago, Echo1 said:

...This is a problem thats now starting to occur. Needs to be fixed

I beg to differ - his problem has been around for as long as I can remember.

The "stupid" players will always come and go, they either get banned or get bored. As DarkCottonTail said, this is mainly due to the holidays, It will all die down after the New Year. 

10 hours ago, Echo1 said:

Its whatever not gonna post any more about this cause all i get is same replies

Again, we are aware of the issue. Please do not add sass to your thread, you have had several honest replies.

Get in touch and I assure you that everyone in the admin team will be willing to help.

Regards,

Blazer

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, =VG= HaterOneActual said:

@Echo1 are you going to lob complaints without making any suggestions to fix the problem? Did you try to use any of the avenues already at your disposal to fix the problem?

Well unfortunetly I can't bc they already did for me so theres nothing i can do or say.

@Echo1 We're not trying to be mean, here, buddy.  Seriously.

Believe it or not, but I am personally quite sympathetic.  When I began playing Project Reality COOP at VG back around 2010, it was during US midnight hours, and there were not only no Admins online, but I didn't see an actual =VG= member until I had been playing here for about a month.  They just did not happen to have any clan members who regularly played during those late hours back then, and all of us regulars on the server knew it.  It could get unruly at times, for sure.  Not everyone who plays video games is a mature, level headed adult (to state the obvious).  It's like, welcome to the internets, right? ugh

We used the report function in game to make sure players knew we were all united in supporting the server rules even when Admins were not present, and once in awhile, we had to give up on an area, or asset we had rights to claim, or take a break for a few minutes to wait for a griefer/troll to get bored and move on.  Yea, it pretty much sucked.. but we knew all the admins were sleeping or away, and our choice was to either not play, or play and just deal with it (without breaking the rules ourselves, or taking matters into our own hands).

We didn't cry foul because there was no one to Admin, we just understood that rarely do ANY game servers ANYWHERE have 24/7 admins online, and even still a few of us fell in love with the community and it's values & spirit enough to make friends and eventually join the group, and then subsequently found ourselves as Admins in the game as a bonus.

We also did not have non-VG Clan Member in-game PR Admins back then - this evolved over time to enable us to cover even more timezones by allowing players (who may even be in a different clan) to get vetted for integrity, respectfulness, level headedness, and a maturity level consistent with the values and spirit of the VG Clan.

• Upvote 5

Well all jokes aside echo could have a point here that at certain key moments we have no admins online. 

However this issue can’t be fixed by adding him or others to the admin team. This as you will always have moments where no admins could be on for various reasons. 

While no admin is online it is up to him to ensure everything gets reported in a correct way on the forum so m8 tedf melon or semler can check on this. 

I have already had a chat with you echo about the method you complain. I wish to write the few issues out that come up and cause friction between you and other admins this so you can prevent this in future. 

on khami a guy was stealing a tank. I was flying an A10 kavlenko in inf and 2 more admins on. The fact you directly report it to me is not an issue it is the method and situation

The first issue is that you use voice chat, this limits other admins from taking action. As I am flying a jet and can’t type out whole sentences without crashing or flying off the map. Like I said while flying ask a other admin as I can’t do it now. 

This is not bad admin behaviour it falls within simple rules that if I have to waste my jet to warn him for stealing 2 assets are wasted. This added to that an admin does not HAVE to act on every report if he doesn’t know what’s going on.

The second issue is the method. If I quote you “this guy in squad 6 is stealing a tank while he should be in squad 5 and he doesn’t give a fuck” when I did warn him mid flight I get the text “he doesn’t give a fuck just kick him” . 

This way of talking and been negative sketches a wrong image about yourself. You are a fun guy to play with, but sometimes kinda annoying to as you keep complaining and don’t let it go.

been an admin on the server is not a job we get payed for. It is something we sadly have to do as others can’t behave. Every report requires us to stop what we are doing check on the report, maybe act on it, and get back what we where doing. At certain moments this can be done (like defending as inf) and other moments you can’t (attacking/flying).

If you can work on these and the other problems I will see no issues on giving you temporary admin (only be admin when no other admins are on). However that’s just my vote, you also need to convince the rest of the team you capable. 

So keep reporting and try to be less salty. Me and ted produce more then enough salt to keep the roads clear of snowtrols. 

I definitely share his frustration. Years ago, wasn't there an auto-kick or auto-ban feature? I'm pretty sure it was prior to standalone, maybe 0.97 era, when I started playing. Though I know this can be a problem if there's a freak accident, but it's unlikely that someone will rack up 10 TKs by accident, or whatever kick/ban threshold you would like. If anything, just auto-kicks might deter a lot because of the loading times to get back in, and take the asset out of his hands (CAS usually).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok1775 said:

I definitely share his frustration. Years ago, wasn't there an auto-kick or auto-ban feature? I'm pretty sure it was prior to standalone, maybe 0.97 era, when I started playing. Though I know this can be a problem if there's a freak accident, but it's unlikely that someone will rack up 10 TKs by accident, or whatever kick/ban threshold you would like. If anything, just auto-kicks might deter a lot because of the loading times to get back in, and take the asset out of his hands (CAS usually).

The thing is though, from my personal experience, easily half of tks with more than 3-4 victims are unintentional and are results of players lack of experience, impatience, recklessness or other simple errors with no malice behind them. Auto-kicker is going to make more damage than good.

Different alternative was ingame voting system which unfortunately due to people's ignorance or lack of attention was never working properly ( for example, out of 30 players only 8 vote).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Spartanish said:

Different alternative was ingame voting system which unfortunately due to people's ignorance or lack of attention was never working properly ( for example, out of 30 players only 8 vote).

You mentioned a very good topic on this frustration. Yes there was an auto ban and that did more harm than good and there was a voting option to kick "trolls".

Which brought up the other side of this sword,  People not utilizing resources provided.  I have been playing this game for a few years and when I was a community member, we were not able to do so, meaning get people to vote. Or worse they would have large groups of people who would come on and troll and they could "control the server".  If you had enough people participate in the vote the vote passed whether it's for the good of the server or for the good of the motivated individuals to carry out a task at hand.  When I do a map vote even on a full server of 40 individuals, I have maybe 12 respond.  This is a matter of educating the players to use this tool properly.    

Right now the single most important tool that we have is the !report player commands. That helps YOU, the players that are in the community can relay frustrations to people such as myself that read the logs daily. Yes it does not get that instant satisfaction or gratification, but justiceis served. I guarantee it. 

This server has been running for almost 8 years and yes we've always had this problem but we're one of the few longstanding servers that exist.  And we plan on lasting a lifetime if possible!

• Upvote 5