Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Static

Hey Static,

I read a bit on the BMS forum about skins, once you've made them do they show up on the live server?

I'd like to make a skin for the Harrier based on the RAAF and also one for the Royal New Zealand Air force even though neither operate Harriers. It'd be fun to do it.

RAAF Hornet scheme.jpg

AF-Roundel.jpg         NZRAF.png

• Upvote 4

Skin lessons 101

Skins are only viewable to yourself.

We use F16 CM50 as an example.   If I overwrite the skin file for the F16CM50 - every CM50 in the sim will have that skin on it. (it is a personal preference and will show up in  MY screen shots.)

If I run a flight of 4 F16 CM50s  and you are my wing and I take a screen shot your plane will show up as the skin i have for plane #2  EVEN if You have a different skin. It is local files and they do not propagate across systems.

That being said---- nothing shows up on servers in respect to the visual changes you have made.   AND b4 you do any type of skin improvements or alterations make sure you backup the correct directories to revert if something goes crazy.

There are integrity checks on the server and look into your DAT files (they dont care about skins) but once you start modding be aware of this and backup all files necessary.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Static said:

Skin lessons 101

Skins are only viewable to yourself.

There are integrity checks on the server and look into your DAT files (they dont care about skins) but once you start modding be aware of this and backup all files necessary.

Got it, now to see if I can make a new one. Where are the skins for the AV-8B found?

The Sea Harriers used in the Falklands conflict had their undersides repainted the same as the top on the way out to the islands. I think this is an authentic photo of one.

104-a-royal-naval-harrier-lifting-off-photoviv.jpg

It was nick-named "La Muerta Negra" by the Argentines which translates "The Black Death". It must have looked Black from a distance.

there is 1 file right now... i am working on making a layered file ... but here is the full .DDS File   it is in your Korea objects folder ...

1075 and along with 1076  <------- Copy these and safe guard them b4 editing them ) ALSO they are in you Korea Hi RES Folder -  

There are 2 sets of plane skins (mentioned above 1075 1076)  (SOMETIMES) You need to learn about the dif sizes - I have not done this in a while but ill be back on it in 24 hours

they are basically double in size...

Look up my tailart on the BMS forums... I made 4 tails for the F-16s that flew out of my home town a long time ago... that took me 2-3 weeks to learn to do that... it was not easy.... nothing is in a straight line and a straight line meets on another side of the grid ... you will see...  that pitch fork is in 3 places on my f16 tail art -- and comes out perfect on the model

I can already see this harrier is skewed beyond belief in the dds file - it does not match real life angles - going to be tricky to get it going... and i have no idea where the rudder is in the DDS file lol......

get with me on team speak later so you are not running around chasing your tail ... I can make life a lot easier for you on this topic.... there are little things you need to know... #1   how you going to open up a dds file and layer it? What software are you going to use?  What compression for the output files?  Ill chat with ya

see ya

data/terrdata/objects/KoreaObj

data/terrdata/objects/KoreaObj_HiRes    <---- BMS looks in here if you have HI RES Checked in the setup  -----BUT

It ALSO LOOKS in the first OBJ folder i said above

most of your work will go in the low res folder......      im going to give you my skins from my block 30s.......  take a look at them and the dds files ok?

#1 Copy BOTH of Your Korea Objects folders.

email me and ill send you the files for the block 30 F16s from Selfridge ANG base in Michigan. They are sweet but not used much as they are a very old block plane. But they are on our server. If you install this skin and  fly that plane this skin will be on it.

callsignstatic@gmail.com

• Upvote 1

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1F6C5xmuOg6EAuP9Hr17pdelFGY3aGt4q

see if you can get the files out of there  =---- i never did the google drive thing yet

these are the skins you OVERWRITE in the Objects floders    ----  36 37 38 and 39 are the tails -----  the rest are the entire jet... MASSIVE Upgrade to that jet ,,,,,,                                12 files total.   

Check out my skin in the last pic --- i added the bombs from the pic below to it--- and all the numbers for the 4 jets are areal planes-----

Thanks to RED DOG For the Template

85-1498_002.JPG

22.F-16cua.jpg

85-1491_005.jpg

85-1488.jpg

selfridege skins 2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Is this what that new F-16 skin is supposed to look like?

2017-11-20_232452.jpg

2017-11-20_232604.jpg

Ahh Yes I can now that I got them in the correct folder now, yeah they look great! I've back up both folders in just in case I get any issues on the server, otherwise it works fine.

• Upvote 2

The Harrier skin is 1075, I started work on it but then found out it was the low resolution I was working with when my game is setup for the HiRes, I copied what I have across to test it and it does work but the roundels are a bit skewed, I'll need to do a bit more work but I can see that I'll be able to create a Kiwi version. I did all my adjustments with PaintDotNet but its a bit limiting.

I'm used to working with Photoshop can I do all the work in that and then import it and convert it to a .dds file?

Just checked they're both the same resolution 96 d.p.i but the HiRes version is just larger and easier to work with at 4096px X 4096px whereas the standard one is 2048px X 2048px. Now I know I'll get this sorted today.

I use GIMP - Yes you can use photoshop and highly recommend that. 

I had to get a DDS file plugin. I use layers a lot. I am going to go over the entire jet and make a new skin with all the lines and rivets - But for now I am just going to do my tail artwork and put it onto the Generic BMS skin. I don't want to take somebody else work and overwrite it. BMS is fine (LOL)

I do have templates for every F16 Jet made by RedDog. It makes doing art Work on them WAY EASIER as there are layers for everything. You can turn on and off bird slicers in the layers and the reinforcement plates on the later model F16 - Quite amazing skin templates.

Yeah those templates would save a lot of time. Red Dog has done some fine work.

Ok I worked it out. I open the original .dds file in PaintDotNet (a free program), save the file as a .tiff, then open that in Photoshop. When I'm done I should be able to convert that .tiff file as a .dds file again.

I'm going to a basic skin in grey because its going to save me a bit of time until I do a complete livery for the "Black Death" version.

There is a way to mask in Photoshop where you should be able to change the entire color of the fuselage without needing to reproduce the lines, rivets, markings.

I'm a bit rusty with PS so I'm having to go over some old tutorials...lol.

This is an example of what I mean, changing a red ferrari to a grey model.

Red_Ferrari.jpg

Grey_Ferrari.jpg

Yeah the masking helps big time. Looking forward to seeing the final product. I have not done this i quite a while either and need to brush up on some skills. Making skins at a lot of fun and when you see the final flying around it is very rewarding. The guys over on BMS forums are helpful with all the posting they have done on these topics. Pretty much everything has been answered at some time. It is just a matter of finding that magic post you need the information from.

Today I went back to the start and created a standard grey version of the AV-8B+ with the RNZAF insignia, as you can see the roundels need to be adjusted with some skew to compensate for the curved surfaces and tail flash needs to be resized.

Before:

2017-11-22_194647.jpg

After

2017-11-22_233122.jpg