Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Let's Fly Harriers BMS 4.33 Tonight

Static

I completed that ramp start, created a package, flew a route, and landed the Harrier safely! Awesome Harrier.

In the tute the guy couldn't remember how to switch from backup, there's a switch (CNI/BCKUP) to the left of the two Comm (21,22) switches that needs to be switched to UFC (30) and it works!

1-airsource to ram

2- Battery on

3- Fuel - Master Fuel switch Up (yellow white left side) and fuel pump switch up (below the master)

4-JFS - Click once and engine will spool up to 20%

5-Nozzles to 40 degrees

6- wait for engine spooling

7- Hit idle detent button

8- Generator On Switch up after engine spools up to 70%   -   Set Air source to dump (right click 1 time - switch will come back 1 spot)  see #1

8.1 -clear errors and load data cartridge

9- Turn lights on - Turn Hud Bright up - INS Align

10- Coms on right panel - 1 click to set it on PRESET (your presets for coms) - and the other knob to the right 2 clicks to set BOTH

11- Click UFC Down switch (right side below the Coms switches in Step 10) -  you got coms on now - set Com1 and 2 Volumes up on the front UFC panel      (push the white buttons to change UHF or VHF radio preset or to enter a frequency)

12-     Under left MFD  - Right and Left Hard points power on - FCR FCC and SMS tun on-

13- Align INS switch after align is complete and flashing ready - Turn on countermeasures  program

TAXI

• Upvote 3

Harrier Cat III Vertical Takeoff Procedure

For weapon loads only, no external fuel tanks.

• Exhaust to 90 degrees, flaps to STOL, full throttle
  • (Optional) Gentle turn into wind
  • Climb to or above 1500 feet AGL, use radar altimeter
  • Set exhaust to 60 degrees and gain speed, jet will proceed drop like rock
  • At 80 knots (or best guess), set exhaust to 40 degrees and gain more speed
  • Rotate upwards at 140 knots, gear up, set flaps to cruise
  • Rotate exhaust fully rearwards
  • Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Jersans said:

This is why I'm a GRUNT. This is all waaaaay too complicated for an idiot like me. 

Nah its part of enjoying the game Jersans.

First time you get in the jet you spend about three hours trying to work out how to close the fkin canopy because the engine is so loud!!!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Jeffu said:

Harrier Cat III Vertical Takeoff Procedure

For weapon loads only, no external fuel tanks.

• Exhaust to 90 degrees, flaps to STOL, full throttle
  • (Optional) Gentle turn into wind
  • Climb to or above 1500 feet AGL, use radar altimeter
  • Set exhaust to 60 degrees and gain speed, jet will proceed drop like rock
  • At 80 knots (or best guess), set exhaust to 40 degrees and gain more speed
  • Rotate upwards at 140 knots, gear up, set flaps to cruise
  • Rotate exhaust fully rearwards

Thanks Jeffu,

Will try that out.

You got one for landing the Harrier in VTOL?

More Harrier tips:

• Landing is basically the reverse of vertical takeoff, gear down at 250 and exhaust 40 degrees down until 140 knots, skip the 60 and go straight to 80. 90 will hover but slows you slightly.
  • Landing is complicated by the fact that the jet tends to bounce on touchdown and can nose over. I hold the nose upwards a few degrees just in case, but I've found that a very slow rolling landing seems to help minimize bouncing.

If you get good at pure VTOL you can clear yourself to and from the ramp. I landed backwards once and looped the plane though, I don't know if that's a common occurrence.

• Enable loudness = 1 in /Bin/x86/IVC/IVC Client.txt, which enables audio compression mainly to overcome issues with engine volume and voice comms but it also helps with hearing voice comms over AI background comms.
  • Jet seems to pull right for me when taxiing with symmetrical loadout, need help reproducing.
  • When starting from the ramp, right toebrake is mapped to the left, left toebrake is mapped to both. Known bug.
  • Upvote 2

I've got a little bug creeping in when I rampstart the Harrier. any ideas would be helpful.

When I power up the right MSD, and load the DTE, after a while the MSD for the HSD switches off for some reason.

Now admittedly I'm only getting this problem with a package I set up myself so it might be something to do with that.

18 hours ago, Jeffu said:

More Harrier tips:

• Landing is basically the reverse of vertical takeoff, gear down at 250 and exhaust 40 degrees down until 140 knots, skip the 60 and go straight to 80. 90 will hover but slows you slightly.
  • Landing is complicated by the fact that the jet tends to bounce on touchdown and can nose over. I hold the nose upwards a few degrees just in case, but I've found that a very slow rolling landing seems to help minimize bouncing.

If you get good at pure VTOL you can clear yourself to and from the ramp. I landed backwards once and looped the plane though, I don't know if that's a common occurrence.

• Enable loudness = 1 in /Bin/x86/IVC/IVC Client.txt, which enables audio compression mainly to overcome issues with engine volume and voice comms but it also helps with hearing voice comms over AI background comms.
  • Jet seems to pull right for me when taxiing with symmetrical loadout, need help reproducing.
  • When starting from the ramp, right toebrake is mapped to the left, left toebrake is mapped to both. Known bug.

Thanks Jeffu,

These steps will be helpful to start with. Your instructions for VTO takeoffs was great and I've managed to get around the tendency to drop rapidly by adjusting the nozzles progressively until I get enough air speed to become wing borne. I can do SVTOL quite well now.

So it looks like the strategy is to approach the LZ in the conventional manner and work those nozzles to 90 degs by "feel".

When you are landing vertically do you ever use the external view to do it?

This screenshot is from the AV8B Harrier manual Static posted. Page 294.

00_1888.jpg

Previous page states the decelerating transition to hover begins approx 1/2 NM (900m) from the LZ, at approx 310 ft, attaining controlled hover above the intended point of landing (LZ) at approx 150 ft. Whether that is possible or practical in BMS will be interesting to try out.

Love all this technical shit, it friggen blows my mind!!:bomb:

2 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

I've got a little bug creeping in when I rampstart the Harrier. any ideas would be helpful.

When I power up the right MSD, and load the DTE, after a while the MSD for the HSD switches off for some reason.

Now admittedly I'm only getting this problem with a package I set up myself so it might be something to do with that.

Make sure there isn't an "OXY" caution light on the bottom right cluster (not to be confused with the one on the front panel), stuff switching off sounds like a classic air source problem.

For takeoff and landing, I just try and figure out what works and stick to it as consistently as possible. It's probably better to think about the nozzles as flaps. In real life VTOL operations would be limited by gross weight, air temperature, remaining water, etc. and takeoff and landing would more than likely be nozzle-assisted rather than VTOL.

I haven't needed external views for anything. I don't like the tendency for the jet to bounce on vertical touchdown, so I'll probably switch to a slow rolling landing instead.

2017-10-19_013031.jpg

• Upvote 2

I followed the above tutorial to the letter and my error disappeared. Who knows why? Anyway I'm back on track. Semler you must give this Harrier a shot mate, its so nice to fly even if you don't do the VTOL. Landing is so smooth, the AOA is not a problem its real easy compared to the F-16, the nozzle set to 20 percent just gives it a nice nose up attitude, and it touches down so nicely. I reckon I'm ready for a carrier landing now. :)

3 minutes ago, Alaura said:

I wanna play BMS, but im incapable of doing so since i don't have a joystick.

If you want, you can try out this RAMP Start Trainer designed to familiarize a player with the F-16 Cockpit and view the many overwhelming control panels in sections - it's a short little app that will take you through the steps one-by-one to bring the F-16 to life from a cold slumber.  If it's something you are interested in, it might inspire you to save up for a flight stick one day - I've used the Saitek X52 myself for over 5 years - something affordable and durable.  Cheers!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug7rl65nprbbkmh/sp3_ramp_start_trainer-FLASH.exe?dl=0

• Upvote 3

Just now, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

If you want, you can try out this RAMP Start Trainer designed to familiarize a player with the F-16 Cockpit and view the many overwhelming control panels in sections - it's a short little app that will take you through the steps one-by-one to bring the F-16 to life from a cold slumber.  If it's something you are interested in, it might inspire you to save up for a flight stick one day - I've used the Saitek X52 myself for over 5 years - something affordable and durable.  Cheers!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug7rl65nprbbkmh/sp3_ramp_start_trainer-FLASH.exe?dl=0

I mean, i want a joystick, don't get me wrong, but it's impossible to get one when i don't have a job yet (hopefully next week i start my new one at lowes)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

lmao!  One of these days, we'll get to BFM and FCR for A/A -- maybe even launch a weapon (or get some launched at us). :tatice_03:

You're not joking...hehe. Ok I worked out how I screwed things up and it won't happen again. I need to run my joystick script as soon as my Laptop boots (or reboot) otherwise all my buttons and switch assignments get mixed up, I could be firing missiles when I try to land etc...lol.

So my next task is working out how to drop bombs, the Harrier has GBU-16s what tute do I look at for them beauties?

It seems a shame to take them all the way across to North Korea and then bring em back because I don't know how to release them. :bomb:

1 hour ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

So my next task is working out how to drop bombs, the Harrier has GBU-16s what tute do I look at for them beauties?

Training Mission #10 GP Bombs (TR433_10_GPbombs) for unguided General Purpose bombs -- then maybe move up to the Guided Bomb Units?
Please refer to the training manual located in your Docs folder!
;)

In CCIP mode, it's really just as simple as putting the circle at the end of the pole over the target, and pressing the Pickle button.  It gets more complex from there, up to Dive Tossing GBU's at active SAM's

CCIP.PNG

2 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

Training Mission #10 GP Bombs (TR433_10_GPbombs) for unguided General Purpose bombs -- then maybe move up to the Guided Bomb Units?
Please refer to the training manual located in your Docs folder!
;)

In CCIP mode, it's really just as simple as putting the circle at the end of the pole over the target, and pressing the Pickle button.  It gets more complex from there, up to Dive Tossing GBU's at active SAM's

Ok I'll do that training mission first then try it again on my own Harrier package which flys out of Kangnung Air base and targets the unprotected Kumgang bridge across the demarcation line.

So I'm assuming the GBU-16 a general purpose bomb and it will operate using CCIP mode?