Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Let's Fly Harriers BMS 4.33 Tonight

Static

33 minutes ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

Ok I'll do that training mission first then try it again on my own Harrier package which flys out of Kangnung Air base and targets the unprotected Kumgang bridge across the demarcation line.

So I'm assuming the GBU-16 a general purpose bomb and it will operate using CCIP mode?

I think he means becoming proficient at dumb bombing before using GBUs, as using laser guided weapons involves several additional steps as well as use of the targeting pod (TGP).

To go from dumb bombing to LGBs I would recommend learning, in order:

• A-G Radar
  • Dumb bomb CCRP on A-G Radar target
  • Using TGP to see and refine a selected A-G radar target
  • Dumb bomb CCRP on TGP target

Interacting with the A-G radar and the targeting pod is simpler than some people make it out to be: Radar cursor to move, TMS Up does things, TMS Down undoes things, Pinky Switch to zoom/change FOV (which is required for the TGP), and DMS Down to switch between MFDs. The jet will attempt to lase a target automatically after weapon release, so no interaction required there.

Once you learn how to use the targeting pod to aim and drop a dumb bomb, dropping a laser guided weapon isn't difficult and only requires arming the laser, setting it to combat mode through the DED (LASR page) and optionally setting your laser code (which has to be done through both the 2D loadout screen and the DED page).

I might make a video and/or a separate thread about this and similar topics if there's any demand for one.

• Upvote 3

I did a bombing run with the Harrier and managed to hit the bridge with the first GBU but missed it with the second one.

Thanks for the advice on bombing Jeffu, if you have the time a video would be nice, mean while I'll continue with the manuals.

4 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

I did a bombing run with the Harrier and managed to hit the bridge with the first GBU but missed it with the second one.

This is because GBU's can still be released in a non-Guided manner -- but those are actually Laser Guided Bomb Units (GBU's) and like Jeffu said, I was referring to GP Bombs (General Purpose) such as the Mk-82 or Mk-84.  "Dumb" bombs.

I tried to take you on a training mission last week where we would have covered the basics of the A/A (Air-to-Air) FCR (Fire Control Radar), basic maneuvering and max G's in CAT III (Category 3 - means G force turns are limited to 4.5 G's due to the stores configuration) -- and we would have made it to our target to learn a little about the A-G (Air-to-Ground) FCR and TGP (Target Pod) -- and then we would have released our 4 GBU-32(v)1/B's (1000lb JDAM's) at those targets we locked up in the Recon screen on Steerpoints 15-18 for a little confidence building exercise where our 4 big bombs would glide themselves to the targets with little effort on our part.

BUT - for basic training and learning the systems, I had recommended you try Training Mission #10 (and read the lesson that goes with it) so you can get the skillz you need for CCRP and CCIP bombing modes with GP Bombs to start with.
:coffee:

Its just that I setup my own package and I'm getting familiar with how to navigate to the target, bomb it using CCIP and CCRP, and returning safely. If I can do that several times I'll be fine to tackle the more complicated laser guided stuff.

Got the ramp start sorted with the Harrier, the error I had was definitely caused by me not taking the air source back to dump whatever that is. How the hell that works is beyond me.

• VG Seal of Approval 1
  • Upvote 1