Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

harrier issue !

ranger_12

ok guys i know ... some of you like me can't hover with this harrier sometimes .. or you just crash nose and go to the water and die ! here a solution :D ... when u r at low speed just let the harrier go to the watter ... when the harrier hit the water just use mouse and pull it up. u will not get damage or crash. and you will have a CLEAN harrier .. :D no more crash. i tried this manytimes and it works 100%. maybe this looks stupid but YEAH ...

• Upvote 6

Trying the impossible, seems the water was helping you bouncing up there bfore it crashes :P

Anyways, its awesome to keep posting some bloopers around, so anyone would know the Refractor engine physics.. especially like this PR ;)

Magic word came so late:

"Osuka: Pull up, Ranger. Pull up-!"

- Inch

• Upvote 1

To land the harrier, get your approach speed down below 500KTS, AOA 5deg, and on contact with the deck pull the nose up (pull back on the joystick) to brake. Works for me.:)

If your approach speed is below 400 or less you are going into the drink nose first.

• Upvote 2

Interesting KAV.

Like you, I approach the carrier below 500Knts with my AOA at 5deg. I then continue to hold down the "S" key once I'm closer, bringing the AOA higher as the speed drops. I never let go of the "S" key.

Somehow I always manage to get into a controlled hover, allowing me to land vertically. I have never needed to land like a normal jet... :mellow:

• Upvote 1

I'll be honest with you Blazer, I pretty much gave up trying to hover the Harrier from normal flight to land VTOL after PR screwed with the flight dynamics. I can do Vertical take offs fine but landing it is, like most people, disastrous.

So to get around my landing problems I used my lessons in BMS to help me land on the carrier in the conventional way.

Tonight I have recorded a session  (about 27 minutes) where I have managed to take off and land the Harrier vertically based on the way you land vertically, and tried to analyze what is going on here.

I think I have it pretty well worked out for me but if anyone else has more to add, feel free.

The dynamics that PR changed really stuffed most of the pilots up when it came to using the Harrier Jump jet, you used to be able to reverse throttle or hold down S and it would hover no problem at all.

Someone has changed those settings to simulate the need for AOA (Angle of Attack) which is a pretty fancy name for pointing the nose up at a certain angle when landing.

Well Blazer you nailed it when you mentioned holding down the S key and not taking your finger off. That is exactly correct! The biggest mistake pilots are making in PR is that they are not going nose up BEFORE they hit the hover button, and probably not slowing the Harrier down enough either. I'm rendering the video at the moment but I'll write down the basics for what I think it is:

Vertical Take Off

=============

1. Hold down the 'S' key and get the Harrier to 100ft/m (clear from the carrier)
  2. Angle the nose of the Harrier to 5 deg AOA
  3. Go to full throttle, keeping the nose at AOA the whole time
  4. If you find yourself going too vertical, you can back off the throttle a bit until the nose drops again and then keep the throttle ON

Vertical Landing

=============

1. Plan your approach at least 1 to 2 NM out from your landing zone (carrier)
  2. Get your approach speed down to below 500 KTS (knots) which is about 40-43% of throttle
  3. Make sure your altitude is 100 ft/m depending on how good you are
  4. Angle the nose of the Harrier to 5 deg AOA, and keep it there if you can
  5. Hold the 'S' key down and keep it there until you achieve hover
  6. You may over-shoot but that is a trial and error thing to get it right
  7. Do not panic if the Harrier's nose begins to climb, so long as the air speed is dropping, the nose will come back down
  8. Presto! You should be at hover at roughly 100ft/m above the deck of the carrier
  9. If you don't know how to land a Harrier from this point you shouldn't be flying one!!

Note: If your approach air speed is nearer 400KTS you may find the Harrier doing weird shit like nose diving or going vertical, try to keep it closer to 500KTS

Credits to: Blazer, Static and SemlerPDX.

• Upvote 4

Here comes the PR non realistic version

takeoff

50 alt

keep holding S and start pressing W 

when you feel you starting to drop tilt nose up to 80 degree from horizon and release s only pressing w and you took off.

landing

I normally do this from the burning ship and fly with an arch to the carrier and preform a deck landing

release w and press s for 5 sec And release it

head towards the carrier when you notice your speed drops and you stalling press S again. Note that you might still have invert controls (up is down and down is up) to counter this you release S again wait for 2 sec and press it again and you hover 

the lazy way.

start holding s and tilt nose up for about 25 degree once you hit low speed.when you almost go into stall vtol mode release s and move your cockpit horizontal and press S again

the main issue I found out is that your controls get inverted when you try it with the full speed keep holding S. I don't know why it does. It I noticed that holding S has no use when you flying at speed so why press it. The S button will toggle the reverse mode and this takes time.

you can see this best when you fly the osprey. Fly full speed stop holding w and tap s once. The propellers will still move up tap w and they move down. This happens on the harrier with the vents on the side but you can't see it. 

From the testing I noticed that if you keep holding S when going into vtol it likes to go nosedown but doesn't do this when you do not hold s

so to sum it up press S once and glide until the speed is reasonable slow and then press it again to hover. 

I could look making a vid if it is really needed

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f26-pr-bf2-bugs/146166-dolphin-diving-harriers.html

Seems to me he didn't catch the point with the plane under water and closed the thread. He said:

Nothing wrong with the video, engine physics working as intended for a change.

But i meant something completely different. 

ObjectTemplate.armor.hpLostWhileInWater 200
ObjectTemplate.armor.hpLostWhileInDeepWater 400
ObjectTemplate.armor.waterDamageDelay 1
ObjectTemplate.armor.deepWaterDamageDelay 30
ObjectTemplate.armor.waterLevel 0.5
ObjectTemplate.armor.deepWaterLevel 1.5

@Double

50 feet is impressive, I did it at 7 Feet but that was in a BOT Harrier.:P

According to the manual the recommended AOA should not exceed 15 degs, and the transition from Jet-borne flight to wing-borne flight takes place at 50ft plus depending on obstacles.

Quote from manual:

'During accelerating transitions, angle of attack must not exceed 15°.
Over-rotation or high rotational rates may result in the AOA rising
uncontrollably even with the stick full forward. Uncontrollable pitch ups
are most likely to occur at extreme aft CG loadings and/or with the wing
flaps deflected more than 25°.'

Same with coming into land in VTOL, the objective is to get the jet to arrive at a hover over the designated LZ at around 50-60Ft.

With practice we may be able to transition from 50 ft but I'm more comfortable at 100 for the moment.

@Double

It would be good to see a video on how you guys fly the Harrier using the keyboard / mouse setup because  I had no idea about the bug where it inverts the controls when you tap S. I'm using a joystick which has a slider to control the throttle so I can set the throttle to a certain percentage (43%) and it will stay there. That is probably why I don't get that issue.

Anyway I did some more practice today, and have the VTOL landing sorted out quite nicely now.

I make sure I'm at 41-43% throttle, Air speed at 480 KTS, altitude 50m, 750m out from the carrier and go straight to hover keeping a nose up angle of 5 degs AOA, it has me hovering over the carrier deck at 30m.

Perfect every time.

On 10/10/2017 at 10:56 AM, =VG= Fastjack said:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f26-pr-bf2-bugs/146166-dolphin-diving-harriers.html

Seems to me he didn't catch the point with the plane under water and closed the thread. He said:

Nothing wrong with the video, engine physics working as intended for a change.

But i meant something completely different. 

ObjectTemplate.armor.hpLostWhileInWater 200
ObjectTemplate.armor.hpLostWhileInDeepWater 400
ObjectTemplate.armor.waterDamageDelay 1
ObjectTemplate.armor.deepWaterDamageDelay 30
ObjectTemplate.armor.waterLevel 0.5
ObjectTemplate.armor.deepWaterLevel 1.5

So does this mean that if we could see the health bar of the Harrier, it would be very damaged?  We see red, and so the pilot got hurt in the maneuver, correct?  Also, does this mean that he dipped into the water for less than the time needed to be "lost"?  I timed it and he was under water for less than 2 seconds.  Are those numbers above in milliseconds?

• Upvote 1

Irl, the harrier would crash or not? What would happen with the turbines when water comes in? FYI a harrier is not a jetski or speedboat.

About waterlevel and damagedelays. I dont know how it works. It works like the damage casued interval per ??? time.

He was with the whole cockpit underwater. I'm sure that are atleast 0.5  meter.

The deepwater level damage starts at 1.5 meter. 

The harrier can fly/vectorthrusting 0.49 meter underwater and get NO DAMAGE and at 0.5 meter - 1.49 meter only the lighter damage variant and after this 1.49m, so 1.5 meter, he get the hard damagevariant.

What tell's your common sense bro

Forgot to mention: I believe he got damage but maybe the repairicon bugged out. Known issue.

• Upvote 1

I shall see if I can make a vid tonight.

I hardly gave any practice flying the harrier. I spend more time landing every jet in the game on the carrier at testairfield then going into vtol mode.

(try land big mama (china bomber) on the carrier without seat switch or even worse the german bomber it is possible.) (no bumping /glitching needed to land it)