Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Basic TRANS routes on Muttrah City

=VG= Kavelenko

Hi guys,

I put this brief tute together for new players to use as a guide before they actually start flying TRANS Helis on the VG Coop server.

I had a comment from someone the other day when I warned him for using the VG server to practice. So hopefully this tutorial will help newbie pilots to get the basics down before they fly with squads on the live server.

I was going to run a full commentary but got a bit lazy and just recorded the crate runs without me yapping besides I was watching the rugby at the time!

• Upvote 12

So we gonna make standerd fly paths crate drop locations and other such. I could just as well give you guys all the spawnpoints and transition times for bots between flags so the maps become even easyer. I find that people should be free to fly however they wish. If they get shot down because of a stinger, to bad, maybe inform them better. 

No such thing as a standard flight path, it depends on where the armor is at the time.

Why are you guys so negative? Put up or shut up. If you can fly a better route do your own video.

This tute is to help novice players so butt out unless you have something constructive to say.

• Upvote 7

Nice work Kav! Now all you need to do is make a video that shows them how to fly in the first place.

I don't think anyone's trying to be negative, I think it's mostly just a commentary from their own flying experiences.

1 hour ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

So we gonna make standerd fly paths crate drop locations and other such. I could just as well give you guys all the spawnpoints and transition times for bots between flags so the maps become even easyer. I find that people should be free to fly however they wish. If they get shot down because of a stinger, to bad, maybe inform them better. 

I think Kav is just trying to give some of the safer routes and drop locations for beginners, not telling people exactly where to fly.

• Upvote 6

Image quality is potato because I saved the file in .gif format instead of .png, and I'm too lazy to draw it again so blow me.

Oh and just so we're clear on this, MUTTRAH SUCKS MELON'S ARSE

1.gif

RED STARS indicate enemy threats that are stationary, therefore easy to avoid if you know what to do with them.

A RED STAR next to Mosque/East City Center flag indicates a staging area for armors before they move into the city. Usually the armor convoy consists of BRDMs, BMP-3s, BTR-60s, and T-72s. BMP-3s and BTR-60s are considered as priority threats when you are using air asset due to their excellent Anti-Air capabilities, and this applies to CAS as well.

YELLOW LINES indicate a route that enemy armors like to take. I didn't draw any lines between North City and Muttrah Docks because if armors are inside the facility that means either we don't have enough people to play the map or they're as stupid as bots that man the turret of BMP-3 without a driver.

And here is a general "rule of thumb" when it comes down to flying anything in Muttrah STD:

1. Fly low. If you don't know how to fly low, then don't fly at all.

2. Communicate with other squads. Make sure where armors are and whether anti-air stationary targets are neutralized.

If nobody is responding, then consider anti-air assets active and do not move into the city until comms are established.

3. Don't try to be cocky and pull some stupid stunts to show off how awesome your flying skills are.

I would rather wait for my crates than watch some fireworks that I never asked.

4. Be ready to say "No" when necessary.

If someone tells you to drop a crate at the mosque when BTRs/BMPs are right next to them, tell them to "GO F&^K YOURSELF."

5. Sometimes, you just have to do things yourself.

If no ARMOR/CAS squad is capable of destroying stationary Anti-Air assets, see if you can get a volunteer with a breacher kit.

Yes they spawn rather quickly and yes it can be tedious at times, but NO Stinger means YES crates for others.

And last but not least......

Melon sucks

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, =VG= Melon Muncher said:

Nice work Kav! Now all you need to do is make a video that shows them how to fly in the first place.

I don't think anyone's trying to be negative, I think it's mostly just a commentary from their own flying experiences.

I think Kav is just trying to give some of the safer routes and drop locations for beginners, not telling people exactly where to fly.

Thanks Melon, the description clearly says its a tute for beginners, I'm not dictating policy for how to suck eggs. Someone asked for help so this is it.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

Further add a path for cas to shoot down the AA from a safe angle

These sorts of comments are unnecessary and not constructive.  And they are starting to bother Kav, who posted this video and thread to help newer pilots envision the concept of routes, not to dictate some kind of SOP, or pull back that "fourth wall" and reveal every little tick of the AI and the system.

Please stop treating this tutorial for beginners as some sort of "spoiler" as if learning the finer points of PR is part of the game.  These are exactly the sorts of things that dedicated pilots note - locations of threats, avenues of approach, common taskings, etc.  I don't see every single map or "safe angle" to kill every threat noted here in this thread, what I see is something that will greatly help new Trans pilots learn what is required and to hopefully apply it to other maps on their own.

• Upvote 2

Sorry SemlerPDX but Double is right in this last comment. Too many times you see a noob CAS pilot fly directly to the AA of the fortress, with the obvious result (CAS down) other than aproach from a side angle to destroy the AA emplacement.

12 minutes ago, =VG= Martin said:

Sorry SemlerPDX but Double is right in this last comment. Too many times you see a noob CAS pilot fly directly to the AA of the fortress, with the obvious result (CAS down) other than aproach from a side angle to destroy the AA emplacement.

But this further drives the post off topic!  Can you see where I am coming from?

Basic TRANS routes on Muttrah City

12 hours ago, =VG= Kavelenko said:

Hi guys,

I put this brief tute together for new players to use as a guide before they actually start flying TRANS Helis on the VG Coop server.

I had a comment from someone the other day when I warned him for using the VG server to practice. So hopefully this tutorial will help newbie pilots to get the basics down before they fly with squads on the live server.

I was going to run a full commentary but got a bit lazy and just recorded the crate runs without me yapping besides I was watching the rugby at the time!

I think ZZANG1847 already put it best for this topic when he wrote  "4. Be ready to say "No" when necessary.  If someone tells you to drop a crate at the mosque when BTRs/BMPs are right next to them, tell them to "GO F&^K YOURSELF.""

But we could make CAS videos and tutorials as well.  Could help those noob pilots learn how to approach the fortress and kill the AA properly in a CAS chopper. :hi:

• Upvote 3

This video demonstrates many of the important skills that a noob TRANS pilot should have under their belt BEFORE they contemplate flying a full squad into a hot location.

The necessary warm up time, taking off, landing in a controlled fashion, situational awareness, using terrain and buildings to shield themselves against potential threats, low level flying, being able to slow down with control, hover, and use flares to protect the heli. We're talking about NOOBS here guys, most of them cant get the Osprey off the bloody deck without hitting the water on their first flight, how many times have we seen that?

These runs represent a fraction of the routes possible on this map but I'll keep those to myself, you guys can work them out for yourselves!

I'd be more than happy to jump in a chopper with a new pilot if they could fly these basic routes and return safely. Sometimes we don't need hotshots who can do barrel rolls; just a crate would be nice.

• Upvote 5

Great effort here Kav, Really clear and informative.

After watching this, I might consider making a video based on basic squad leading as we are running low on competent squad leaders on the server. Also might inspire some confidence in players to take on new roles.

Also think it would be a great idea to get a thread going with video's such as these to help guide players on various aspects of the game .

Possible areas that could be explained:

• APCs / Tank / Armour gameplay
  • Using the Commander tools
  • Basic understanding of AAS (COOP)
  • CAS gameplay
  • Basic Infantry gameplay (Game Controls and Mumble)
  • Advanced Kits (HATS / ENGINEER / SPOTTER)

Ill be happy to create a few with the assistance of others ;) 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, =VG= Blazer said:

Great effort here Kav, Really clear and informative.

After watching this, I might consider making a video based on basic squad leading as we are running low on competent squad leaders on the server. Also might inspire some confidence in players to take on new roles.

Also think it would be a great idea to get a thread going with video's such as these to help guide players on various aspects of the game .

Possible areas that could be explained:

• APCs / Tank / Armour gameplay
  • Using the Commander tools
  • Basic understanding of AAS (COOP)
  • CAS gameplay
  • Basic Infantry gameplay (Game Controls and Mumble)
  • Advanced Kits (HATS / ENGINEER / SPOTTER)

Ill be happy to create a few with the assistance of others ;) 

Thanks Blazer, that is a good idea. There has been a lot of videos done in the past but they are on older versions of PR so an update would be very helpful.

I have been putting together footage for "How to laze targets" from the squad leader's perspective and I'd like to see it from the Apache/Cobra gunner's perspective and a CAS jet pilot's view point as well.

We could set that up on the server if we organise ourselves, squad leaders on the ground taking footage and CAS pilots in the air, showing the communication necessary to making a successful laze.

A good map for that would be Operation Barracuda because it is one of the maps that intimidates CAS squads. Khamisiyah is another one.

• Upvote 5

@ kav: 

Making a LAZE vid is a really good idea. Not many squad leaders know how to use it, even die-hards neglect the constant stream of info that is needed when lazing for DEAD missions. Usually they click the button on the commo-rose and are done with it. Thats like 10% of the info needed. As for server we could use our EXP server for this. I disagree with the map though. To demonstrate the method and system behind it I would like to see Kashan or Khami. For examples we can show how its done on Barra with sub-par conditions (two stack of Tunguska-Clone in trees). 

Going off topic sorry. I will start a post with TUTORIAL sessions where multiple of us basement dwellers come together and nerd out on this. 

@vid: Good shit I always like going commando with TRANS on this. Absolutely LOVE the south city box delivery path.  You can also sneak squad in there without being punished.  

• Upvote 5

28 minutes ago, =VG= TEDF said:

Let me know if you guys need the dev server or some kind of extra assets on some of the maps for the tutorial thingy.

Sounds like a plan, Don't mind hogging the dev server next week with a few volunteers to help produce various tutorials and videos. 

• Upvote 2

Great stuff here Guys.

As is always the case, you folks continue to showcase that Good People are forever Proactive in their support for the community.

Doing whatever you can to help every level of player be better at what to do, in support of the team during their playing of our chosen games.

Well done and good luck with the Tutorial endeavours.

• Upvote 3