Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Help With PC and PR

Zulu

Hello guys! I haven't played in months because my laptop died, my brother poured tea on it because he's stupid.
I would run canirunit and see if I can use this old thing to play but PR isn't there, so I'll ask here.

I have no idea how to find my specifications, but I can put here the System specs if it can help.
I really wanna start playing this again so hopefully someone can help me!

2017-07-19 (2).png

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To answer that question, go here, click the Download (run the .exe -- it is safe, a one time assessment that opens a website when finished to see your results) http://www.userbenchmark.com/

It will rate your computer, and provide you with a link you can share here.  *I can tell you now, as long as you have an internal graphics processor or dedicated graphics chip on that laptop, you will likely be able to run Project Reality.  It is not that demanding of a game compared to current games these days.

Processore?!  What the hell is that?!!?!! (just kidding)
a homer.jpg

ouch... yea, it looks like it's gonna try to use the CPU to process graphics, and with 2 cores/2 threads, it may struggle even at the lowest graphics settings to run Project Reality.

Well, PR is free, and you can always try it, but beware that your laptop may get excessively hot, lowering it's lifespan and potentially damaging internal components if the airflow intake ports are blocked in any way, which happens naturally over time from dust and tiny debris.  I used to replace a lot of laptop heatsink and fan components, people don't often respect how little heat dissipation is possible in a laptop and how important airflow is.

Serious PC Gaming on a laptop such as that is not advised if you want to respect the health of the laptop.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:18 PM, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

ouch... yea, it looks like it's gonna try to use the CPU to process graphics, and with 2 cores/2 threads, it may struggle even at the lowest graphics settings to run Project Reality.

Well, PR is free, and you can always try it, but beware that your laptop may get excessively hot, lowering it's lifespan and potentially damaging internal components if the airflow intake ports are blocked in any way, which happens naturally over time from dust and tiny debris.  I used to replace a lot of laptop heatsink and fan components, people don't often respect how little heat dissipation is possible in a laptop and how important airflow is.

Serious PC Gaming on a laptop such as that is not advised if you want to respect the health of the laptop.

His screenshot is from a 775 desktop, not a laptop. Core 2 Duos don't have integrated graphics and neither does his motherboard. He has a dedicated GPU, just not a powerful one. 

Franko, if you run "dxdiag" what device is listed under the "Display" tab? 

1 hour ago, =VG= PBAsydney said:

not a laptop

my bad, missed that bit at the top with the MoBo designation, and made a poor assumption based on his first post.   Now for more assumptions! j/k   Since he's got a desktop with a PCIe slot, he could buy an older GFX card and slap it in there to at least get it working in PR -- I'd look for a 5000-7000 series ATI card or a a 500-600 series nVidia card for a cheap but capable card for PR.

And I second the notion to install 64-bit Windows if you can, you're gonna need as much RAM as you can muster for running Windows 10 Pro and a game at the same time, not that PR is RAM hungry;  also, you should consider getting very pro-active with your Windows 10 install to maximize it for your own uses, and not Microsoft's uses -- so many things you can disable or uninstall that you will likely never use that can improve performance by lowering the RAM footprint of background applications, minimizing boot times, and maximizing disk access times and capacity.  See my article on the Home page for How to make Windows 10 Look and Act more like Windows 7, it includes many bits that could help you get more control over your Windows OS.