Joe_A

Arma III or Squad

Which will be a better choice ?   12 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be a better choice ?

• Arma III
    • Squad
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 posts in this topic

So upon me return here I heavily considered getting Arma III, Always wanted to get into it but never had anyone to play with. But a friend as pointed me to Squad,  a kinda new great looking game simular to Arma in many ways. I have been looking in the forums and not alot of recent posts about arma so has everyone moved on from it ? 

Anyone have any thoughts or advise ? 

Then lastly which will be a better choice for a more quality experience with other players. 

Arma or Squad 

I actually have both and have been playing them less then PR to be honest.  I enjoy the game play they both have to offer and some pros and cons to each game.  Some of the physics are messed up in ARMA and Squad has limited vehicle access at the moment.  To be honest I was a kick starter for SQUAD and have to put that proclamation out there and was impressed at first, but do not think the product offered at the moment is at the correct price point.   

Question: what kind of game play are you looking for?  Both have great graphics so that is not an issue, squad is a bit tough on some machines I have been told.  I built my rig in 2012 and still have decent frames and have not upgraded anything and run everything off of 8GB of RAM.  If you like PVP go Squad, they tend to have better battles and defense building.  If you like the COOP PLAYER side go for ARMA.  You have a larger selection of weapons in ARMA at the moment.  Squad still has some development issues going on but a strong community none the less. 

Im looking for quality not something that just looks good. Same as PR. 

I support m8s statement. 

39 minutes ago, Joe_A said:

Im looking for quality not something that just looks good. Same as PR. 

Even PR is shit sometimes when there are no decent players. :D  I've spent alot of hours on A3 lately and most of it was in SP. Also, iirc, SQUAD don't have mods(?) and A3 have some great good quality mods and there is even PR mod.Mods range from WW2 to Star Wars. I haven't really played squad but if you are looking for something like PR I guess you should go for Squad.

I'd go for Arma tbh :D

Good luck!

Since you already do racing, I wonder if you already have a head tracking system set up, like OpenTrack or TrackIR.

Arma 3 supports head tracking, and it makes the experience extremely immersive.  Being able to keep your rifle trained on the AO while turning your head to check that your buddy is still on your left a few meters out is just incredible!  But I'll admit that everything takes longer in Arma, therefore the game requires more patience than your standard FPS shooter.  Still fun, but more of the military simulator type of game... you'll go for many 10 minute stretches without seeing enemies, walking vast distances that cover the entire size of the smaller maps we are used to in Battlefield games or most FPS games (when you don't have transport, that is).  Your contacts will be at distances greater than 200 meters in most scenarios, unless it's some sort of CQC scenario, and without at least a 4x scope, engagement will be difficult - when your front sight is 3 times larger than the contact downrange, rifle skill actually matters (bullet drop and velocity is modeled).

Squad is more fast paced action (PvP) and Arma is more methodical and strategic military tactics (PvE) against bots that are NOT scripted, but get to choose based on many, many factors. Some mods even add a morale factor.

I've fought bots in Arma (2 at the time) that made me think they were humans -- pinned down in a hut, I threw smoke just to get a little concealment, by the time it was cleared, they surrounded the hut and then moved in for the kill... Almost TOO smart for a bot.

Also, the graphics in Arma 3 are amazing, though the game is not the most optimized and even decent systems will have to review graphics settings instead of just jamming them all up to ULTRA HIGH; but regardless of that, Arma 3 will look great on most systems.

If the mega discount on ARMA recently reported is still available then be worth grabbing if reasonable chance you will want to try it.

Thank you all ! once Arma goes on sale again I believe that is what I will be going with. I dont have a Tracker yet. I am waiting to invest in VR. for racing. 

The Oculus Rift is $200 off right now, and you get the extra sensor and Touch controllers and Oculus Rift all for $400 *(GFX Card with HDMI, and 3 dedicated USB 3.0 ports are required, PCIe cards can add this).  I've been using one for a few months now, and I gotta say it's worth the investment!  Doesn't work with every game, of course, but there are utilities that have made many games without native VR support to be playable as if they was designed for VR.

CONS:  The graphics of ALL VR headsets is kinda crap, but you do get used to it, and forget about most of the flaws due to the immersive nature of VR.  Like putting your face too close to a screen to where you can see the little colored pixels making up the screen, VR can have a bit of jaggy lines and wiggling fences.  There's also a "screen door effect" from the lenses themselves, and good games use color palettes that minimize this effect, others not so well, resulting in a circular haze that moves when looking at bright objects.  Also, it gets a bit hot - and the weight becomes more when you take off those tiny headphones it comes with and don your good surround sound gaming headset/mic combo.  And you can't wear your glasses, but they do sell Rx lens inserts (i got them) so you can actually see clearly.

Still, all those flaws, and I'm still glad I bought this first generation of VR - it is VERY awesome.  The Oculus game Robo Recall has you holding the controllers in your hands on a room scale, pulling guns from your hips and shooting waves of amazingly detailed robots sortof like the action scenes in the movie iRobot.  That alone is jaw dropping, and a good demonstration of whats to come.

At that cost, it's best to do your research and be "okay" with the known flaws before taking the leap.  In the end I recommend it to anyone who can save up and afford one of these things. :tatice_06:

I do wear glasses with a strong Px so that is my biggest concern. Another reason I'm waiting to see how they evolve the tech to make it better. I race with guys that have it and they rave about it every race. I can't wait to be able to use it as well. Then flight sim ... That is also going to be one Hell of an experience.