Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Low Server population (Server difficulty)

FatAlbert

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but.....

People talk about the coop server being too difficult or too easy.  Part of that is how many people are in-game - and to some extent - the experience of the player.  If the server population is low, it becomes to difficult and people rage quit.  Consequently, the server population has been low  or non-existant at night.  Even now, there are only 5 or 6 people playing the VG coop server.

Is there a way of spawning bots/bot vehicles/bot assets depending on the number of BluFor players? (i.e Low Blufor population, Bot vehicles don't spawn or re-spawn as quickly.  As the BluFor players increase, at a certain point, the bots & bot assets spawn as normal? )

This way, we get a challenge no matter how many players are in-game. 

We have indeed discussed that - and sadly it is not possible to code a variable bot spawing force, or any such automated system that can vary with player numbers.  What we can do, and what still requires a bit of work to even make possible, is to make a more easier maplist setup that must be MANUALLY initiated by a PR Admin with TCAdmin Panel access to the server.  In this way, a custom set could be put on a time schedule as well - only problem is that if for some reason, the number went up, they'd be steamrolling the AI like they were a sack of soggy shit until the server setup was reverted to the DEFAULT maplist/config parameters.

Now, I've coded a few buttons for the PR Admins, and for now they swap 2 files if needed (a config and a maplist) but I noticed that TEDF needed to adjust something else for this EVENT -- so if another file or set of files needs to be included for a "LOW POPULATION MAP ROTATION" server setup, I can make that part of the function.  But again, there is a bit of work and testing to see if this all works as intended, and if we can actually use a "LOW POP" server function button that will make Off Hours more entertaining to that smaller crowd, or if we can even slap something like that on a automated schedule so it's hands off (players would just experience a server crash, but return to the server list and see VG COOP back almost instantly).

Us =VG= guys are and will be discussing this very thing in more detail very soon.  It's something I very much want to implement if we can, and if it tests out to work just fine, which is yet to be proven.  It's all theory and assumption right now, even though I did the coding for such actions already as a sort of "proof of concept".

• Upvote 2

Personally I love when the server is low populated as it gives the experienced players a challenge in gathering the randoms and finish the map. You played bijar with me and saw how easily the bunker could be cleared with knives only. 

I do have to agree that not every map is suitable for this but it is up the the admins online to prevent these maps from been played. I liked muttrah large with max 15 people as it meant that everybody needed to cooperate to hold of the wave of assets. More players means less workload means often people are less active 

As discussed, we are working on the concept of making some programmable features that can be more catering to the server population at the time.

What I can reccomend for a short term fix is to use the "maplist.list" command when you open up the "~" key, right below the escape key to see our current map list. Once you get an idea of some of the easier maps, the large open maps with assets, people will find it easier. 

And if worst comes to worst, we can always do a !runnext for a command.

• Upvote 2