Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Map Rotation /Bot Difficulty questions

FatAlbert

1) I was curious if there was any interest from VG players and player base of playing the OPFOR on maps as part of the rotation?  Has this been attempted before?

Muttrah 24/7 US side, Muttrah 24/7 MEC side (an old Muttrah version had a MEC CAS chopper on the tall tower).  On Deployment, we used to alternate sides.  I enjoyed playing Sbeneh, on both sides.  It's different and breaks up the monotony.  Thought it might be the same with the other maps.

2) Has balance between armor, air, and infantry been taken into consideration? For each map?  Or does the map rotation reflect infantry heavy on certain maps, armor heavy on some, and air asset heavy on others?

For instance, Kashan desert has become primarily an armor map.  By the time an infantry squad (if there is one) gets to south bunker, it's time to attack MEC Main.  I realize part of that is the experience of the player base.  Sometimes 10 people can win Muttrah.  Other times, 30 people can't hold East city.

3)  As I understand the difficulty was turned down to the point when I spawned in front of 3 bots, they looked and me and kept walking away.  Then, it was turned up, whereby I was head shot by an AR, with a single shot, from 100 meters while both of us were at a full sprint.  I don't know if that is the difference between 91 and 92 or 91 and 93.

I seem to notice that there doesn't seem to be a "perfect" balance.  Either we are killed by impossible shots or the bots don't respond timely to enemy presence.  Is that just the way the difficulty is?  Is that something that can be adjusted?  Turn up the bot's reaction to enemy presence, but have reasonable accuracy?  We aren't accurate after a full sprint, why not the same for bots? ....kinda thing?

Just asking. 

• Upvote 2

1) We have had some OPFOR days in the past but people got bored very quickly and started complaining of having lack of scopes and fancy assets. Changing out factions on maps is not possible due to main bases remaining the same and therefore both sides losing their asset and fixed rallypoint  spawns. Also goes against PR customisation rule and would require us to lock the server.

2) Working on balancing out the maps atm. Mainly aiming to reduce heavy assets on maps like Kashan and Khami for now as they are the biggest asset whoring maps out there. Also fixing the bot spawn points and flags for maps with most of the flags neutral. Should be ready for the next week or so.

3) There's not much difference between difficulty levels apart from bots turning from bistanders into one-hit sniping terminators. Not much else can be done for them. It is possible to give bot certain waypoints for each map, which they could potentially use to move from cover to cover, but again that would require enourmous amount of work and would end up with a locked server, again due to customised content.

The another thing that should be taken into concideration is that the stealth does work to some extent. The bots usually don't engage the player if the player is not in line of sight, doest aim or fire, doesnt use comm-rose. So if you see more bots running than you can take on, just ignore them and keep moving.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, =VG= TEDF said:

The another thing that should be taken into concideration is that the stealth does work to some extent. The bots usually don't engage the player if the player is not in line of sight, doest aim or fire, doesnt use comm-rose. So if you see more bots running than you can take on, just ignore them and keep moving.

This is why I use Run South on my squads.  Very effective.  

• Upvote 2

well i saw a bot ignoring me and he just run (using sprint) and destroy hmv (the hmv was stop and not in action) then he was just walking away preparing the next rpg. i folowed him hes was like he don't even give a d**m if im i going to shoot him or not. im trying to say that bots need more Priority targets. because im not sure even if the hmv was empty or mained gun. (possible empty) this rarely happen i think. anothere thing! when bots spot a flying assets like cas or transport they will just keep dying shooting this asset and they will ignore all inf arround even if the inf capturing a flag.

6 hours ago, ranger_12 said:

im trying to say that bots need more Priority targets.

Read this :

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13330

Giving the bots the ability to prioritize targets could be done by micromanaging the soldierclasses ai's.

Currently, all soldiers in PR/BF2 counts as Infantery (yes, its wrongspelled), doesn't matter what kit they use. You can give each kit a class specific bot behaviour.

You could make that the OPFOR automatic rifleman prioritize AT soldiers first and than the grenadier and each other class as 3rd, 4th etc.

When you doing this, you can also give tanks the order to shoot first tanks than apc's than AT soldiers and than choppers.

You could also split up that some bots shoot at choppers and other classes ignoring the chopper but that is tweakable in the weapons.ai of the handheld weapons. I believe, each handheld weapon taking choppers under fire. Solution: look that the kit layout of the botteam has weapons that prioritize choppers and some not. So infantry and chopper getting attacked. Simple.

You can also create civi bots.

The bot, that ignored you, prio was to attack the humvee.

Operation Barracuda:

This map just isn't playable late at night with a dozen people playing.

1) all the choppers are shot down long before CAS can see shilka on thermals.

2) Our LAV can't make it to shore before being killed by BMP

3) shilka kills anything coming inland

4) with only 1 infantry squad, it's just not playable.  Maybe if we had the best pilots & best APC & best infantryman....but c'mon...seriously...what caliber of players do we really get.

Could it be removed from the map rotation, late at night?

Well, that makes sense....sort of.  Some people like the vietnam maps, but they don't wanna play insurgents because they don't have scopes???? :D

Too funny.

As for playing OPFOR....I could swear, during one of the updates, I jumped in the server and was playing the MEC side on Muttrah.

I know this because there were 20 people at MEC main - not knowing what to do - and I was in a BTR running bots over because my gunner was afk (on the gun) for most of the game.  But I understand what you are saying.

As for the Bots, they prioritize their targets pretty well.   It just seems to me, either they 1 shot you with impossible shots or they don't pay any attention to you - while they are looking at you - and there is nothing else around for several grids.  I get what your saying though. 

can you blame a guy for trying? ;)