Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Operation "Red Tide" Part III

TEDF

Well thanks again for Joining this event the next one should be in 2 weeks same time same place.

We would like to receive feedback from you guys as we can use it to improve our future events.

For those already asking for re-events like melons one had, as of the current situation we will not have re-events while the campain is running, this as the campain has only just began and would make it even longer.
If there is a possibility serverside and playerside we might redo some maps in the future, but we like to stick to the story for now.

Once again thank you for joining this event and feel free to invite other people to join in next time. More people more fun (and people to shoot for me xD).

Suggestions for the next event........

1) LET THE SQUAD LEADERS LEAD

Stop with the "I wanna do this" "We need to do this".  The SL is talking to other SL's and commander.  Let the SL lead.  You don't know everything going on with "THE TEAM".

2) CLEAR COMMs

keep talk to a minimum (call out contacts).  Let the SL talk to other SL's & commanders.  Most of us are experienced PR players, I've heard women talk less :D  If you're not the squad leaders and you want to give orders to other experienced players, START YOUR OWN SQUAD.

3) STOP WITH THE KIT STEALING

The SL chose a particular class for a person based on their proficiency.  Stick with that kit unless you're asked to change.  

We had an Engineer squad.  Why take the engineer kit when they need it????

Why try to take an AA kit when someone was designated to us AA???  I dropped ammo for the AA guy.  I knew he was there.  Maybe too much talking and not enough paying attention?

4) STOP RUNNING OFF ON YOUR OWN

This is a team event.  It's to showcase teamwork -  We complain about lack of teamwork on the standard coop server and yet some still behave as if they're self important and behave just like noobs.  Listen to the SL/Commander.  Defending doesn't mean 6 guys defending and you deciding you're better moving off on your own.   Ask the SL.

5) READ THE EVENT INFORMATION

a.  Limited kits - The informaton tells you, we have limited kits.

b.  Early Spawn - The event info tells you if you spawn early you will give an advantage to the OPFOR team.  WHY SPAWN????

If your squad leader takes a long time to spawn, WHY SPAWN????  Wait for the team to be ready.  Thats why we also have teamspeak. 

• Upvote 4

Well fat Albert all valid points I must say. We already delayed the bot spawning on 2 of the maps to 3 min after first human spawned. However there is no other way we as event people could possibly block people from spawning in to early 

the other points are out of our reach to solve as they are human based. I would suggest that you kick the people out your squad if they do not follow you orders or keep countering them. Same I would say for stealing kits. 

A solution would be that you would recruit more people for your own squad and in the event demand that they are on teamspeak. This so you can inform them before the event start. 

But please note that bluefor was suppose to lose and if it weren't for the bots to do it either ted or me would made sure so. I found that the first 2 maps where decently balanced (maybe bit to many bmps) but we had to do this as people could camp in the building and wait for the bots to leave (like fools road had to be manually cleared by me as Martin was reluctant to get killed by a bot) And the bots would had no way to attack the building on foot. Also the huge walls you guys build with razor was oftenly in need of removal as yes the bots got stuck on them all the time. 

Anyway thanks for the feedback and hope to see you in part IV

Hey Double,

I was just a squad member.  I was just commenting on things I saw going on.  I just felt terrible for my squad leader.  It was tough to hear his orders through all the superfluous, long winded, conversations going on.  Some banter is awesome and funny at times.  But the constant complaining...yikes.

I just expected alittle more from some of the experienced players who kept spamming voice.  

Then the other stuff kinda handcuffed us as well.

I enjoyed the intent of the event though.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Ted and Double that was fun! For the record, my SL's were more than competent, followed orders as best they could, took initiative when they needed to and as far as I'm concerned did an outstanding job today. Iron Ridge was tough as hell. I screwed the pooch and didn't realize my mumble was muted til the end of the round. We lost our logi in the first 3 minutes and both of our troop trucks ended up abandoned behind enemy lines. They rushed faster than I expected and their artillery fire destroyed both of our ATGMs. But like Double said, BluFor was supposed to lose. I'm happy with 2/3! Thank you again to all involved.

HaterOneActual is Oscar Mike!

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

But please note that bluefor was suppose to lose and if it weren't for the bots to do it either ted or me would made sure so.

...hmmm

My opinion is not quite so valid as the others, as I am a noob again from years of no PR -- BUT coming from someone who retired with more than 3,000 hours logged, I can say that it was a great team effort and everyone seemed to enjoy playing and trying to fight as a group.  That said, also with the understanding that this was one chapter of a larger story, I found it difficult to discern if we were supposed to have a snowball's chance in hell of doing anything when we knew for a fact that each time, some PR player with GUARANTEED more time than I have in this game lately spawned in and "started the bot advance".

When we know there are tools we can use, but the logistics of the game itself prevent us from using those tools (such as a FOB and/or a Stinger emplacement, or any such defensive buildups) at a base that seems to be a maze to most players (read: unfamiliar map), it is very difficult to know if the game went awry or if it's playing out as it's supposed to and it's just a digital recreation of the fight for the Alamo.  When we fight with AI on that difficulty level on such wooded map scenarios, it feels like it's weighted so much against us, it was equally difficult to tell if we were just getting steamrolled due to lack of action on our part or just because the game was not balanced as the mission designer intended, and moreso confusing knowing that human players were actively delivering extreme offenses on any lines we managed to set up.

Again, I'm new to this, and my opinions are more of an outside perspective than those who play PR regularly, so don't mind my confusion about whether we were playing the game as it was intended or if things had just gone completely sideways due to simple AI spawning logistic facts that require us to "DON'T SPAWN IN! DON'T SPAWN IN!!"  .... "Oh, sorry guys - I spawned in"   .... on... EVERY... SINGLE.... MAP!!!!!!

Also, and FatAbert brought this up more than once -- and maybe I saw more if it cuz I was a medic and they were popular players to gather around when you get your ass shot off every other minute, and also the fact that I'm newer myself and will be very slow to react, slow to get a kit item in my hands, and unfamiliar with the ability to push other people around when you're trying to just move next to the other medic who's busy... BUT... Don't bunch up like a JV Soccer team!! Spread the hell out - no more than 2 squad members within spitting distance of each other, and one medic should stay within earshot of the SL at all times.  I was a bad medic; but the other "good" medic(s) were having a tough time with the multiple casualties in one pile that could have been avoided by spreading out a little bit more.

Last edit, I promise:  Finally, HaterOneActual just posted a great Comms Protocol guide with excellent suggestions and tips we should all review because Comms were nuts, cross comms between squads on direct was even worse.  We can all do a little better on that front with a few exceptions, and they know who they are - the ones biting their tongues from not yelling at others to shut up for one goddamn minute while the SL talks with the other SL's and the Commander. 

All that aside, I had a great time and look forward to the next event! (Hopefully not another no-win scenario) ;)   Thank you TEDF, Double_13, PBASydney, and anyone else who worked to make this event!

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

.My opinion is not quite so valid as the others, as I am a noob again from years of no PR -- BUT coming from someone who retired with more than 3,000 hours logged, I can say that it was a great team effort and everyone seemed to enjoy playing and trying to fight as a group.  That said, also with the understanding that this was one chapter of a larger story, I found it difficult to discern if we were supposed to have a snowball's chance in hell of doing anything when we knew for a fact that each time, some PR player with GUARANTEED more time than I have in this game lately spawned in and "started the bot advance".

Again, I'm new to this, and my opinions are more of an outside perspective than those who play PR regularly, so don't mind my confusion about whether we were playing the game as it was intended or if things had just gone completely sideways due to simple AI spawning logistic facts that require us to "DON'T SPAWN IN! DON'T SPAWN IN!!"  .... "Oh, sorry guys - I spawned in"   .... on... EVERY... SINGLE.... MAP!!!!!!

You guys did way better than I expected. These maps were designed to be as challeging as possible so I was surprised that you managed to hold on for 50 minutes against the stuff we threw at you. Good job on Hater's part. There were quite a few things I didn't expect and had to rearrange the bot move orders to counter it. Es specially that counter attack on Hilltop Base that completely screwed up the bot assault as half of the bot team was already in the capzones of the hill flags and were very reluctant to move back, so had to have Double to drive a BTR in there to put some pressure on.

As for Dragon Fly, I'm pretty sure that if we had done it for another 10-15 minutes, the BLUEFOR would have been overrun in the main camp, concidering the amount of stuff that was on the way to the bridge from the center of the city. (Es specially that newly designed invisible SHILKA). But you did hold on for the originally set 50 minutes + the extra time I gave Double to have a rushB manouver to see if he can do the sneaky cap, so well done everyone.

The early spawns didn't screw you up that much as I blocked the bot spawns in the beginning by going commander, which we discovered blocks all delayed spawns on BOT side until player resigns, during our tests.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Xenalite said:

Is there a way to introduce a time limit before spawning in like in deployment to prevent dummies (*cough* Blazer) spawning in early?

No what we already did is delay the spawnpoints for the bots inside the navmesh but doing it deployment style won't work as bots don't get effected by it 

Congratulations to TEDF and Double et al who did a great job of creating this event for us to play. Kudos must also be given to Hater as our commander who did a fantastic job of creating an initial battle plan and then modifying it slightly on the day to throw the "Evil twins of death" off the trail.

This event highlighted the importance of running an operation with a flexible commander who was able to change and react to what was happening during the battle. While it may have looked like we managed the first two maps with ease as a team, the communications and reaction to the actual battle field was most impressive. Even when we had to fall back from a position this was done in an orderly fashion. I'm just a bit peeved I didn't get any footage (my video program was gitching my client). I loved the way Blazer's squad did their thing mining the crap out of the armour and the logistic support of the logi teams was effective and much appreciated by our squad, that alone enabled us to get our FOBs in place on time and enabled us to defend more efficiently. Our razor wire at Hilltop really was more effective than I thought it would be but we lost a lot of lives trying to get them up. Next time I think we'd be better off having two AR's defending the digger's and leave the Medics free to do their job.

Overall I was really pleased with the way Alpha Group performed on the day, there was a lot of experience in the team and it showed.

A few communications difficulties as FatAlbert mentioned but not that bad, I've had a lot worse!!!

Everyone did their jobs well and the Medics SemlerPDX and FatAlbert did a great job of getting us back on deck, even when we were down to one squad member alive our non-medic member was able to revive us which enabled us to hold our positions. Excellent grunt work by Stark58, I3YAN, necrodude,  SoftRaider  (who was kicked for joining OPFOR) and a few other randoms who joined at various points in the campaign. Top squad in the first two maps (who cares right? BS!!), just kidding we couldn't have done it without the brilliant support.

This is what PR team work is all about in my opinion.

Great jobs guys and I'm looking forward to the next round!

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

...hmmm

Also, and FatAbert brought this up more than once -- and maybe I saw more if it cuz I was a medic and they were popular players to gather around when you get your ass shot off every other minute, and also the fact that I'm newer myself and will be very slow to react, slow to get a kit item in my hands, and unfamiliar with the ability to push other people around when you're trying to just move next to the other medic who's busy... BUT... Don't bunch up like a JV Soccer team!! Spread the hell out - no more than 2 squad members within spitting distance of each other, and one medic should stay within earshot of the SL at all times.  I was a bad medic; but the other "good" medic(s) were having a tough time with the multiple casualties in one pile that could have been avoided by spreading out a little bit more.

Last edit, I promise:  Finally, HaterOneActual just posted a great Comms Protocol guide with excellent suggestions and tips we should all review because Comms were nuts, cross comms between squads on direct was even worse.  We can all do a little better on that front with a few exceptions, and they know who they are - the ones biting their tongues from not yelling at others to shut up for one goddamn minute while the SL talks with the other SL's and the Commander. 

All that aside, I had a great time and look forward to the next event! (Hopefully not another no-win scenario) ;)   Thank you TEDF, Double_13, PBASydney, and anyone else who worked to make this event!

Semler - you did an awesome job - even if you say you're somewhat noobish ;).   I think you're being modest....You "adapted" quickly, GREAT JOB! Your past experience shined!  Hope to see you on more....

(**EDIT*** And Semler - I think of it more like a gathering of sorority girls admiring someone else's wedding ring. ...all bunched up and crowded together - looking at a central point in a circle :D )    Seems to be human nature in this game....why do we tend to look inward at each other rather than outward - covering the medics healing? :D

2 of the best ambassadors to the game of PR.  Kavelenko & HaterOneActual!

"Kav" for his Zen master calmness, patience & sense of fun.  "Hater" for his ability to instill confidence in his subordinates, ability to adapt so quickly to the situation, and both for their communication skills and allowing their people to do the job assigned to them.   When my PR avatar grows up, it wants to be just like theirs....lol ;)

Thanks to VG for the event!  I did have fun.  We're so used to advancing all the time in COOP,  I especially liked the fact that we were attacking, defending to the last man - literally - and withdrawing to support each other.  Something we don't see regularly in COOP play.  The coordination (especially on Fools road?) was a thing of beauty.  I felt like a beat dog afterwards, but man! what an adrenalin rush.

• Upvote 3

• TEDF unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Well spawning is not the issue, the pressing done also causes to trigger them to spawn. So even if we would be able to apply a timer to it as soon someone would hit enter or press done they would spawn while you have to wait for the timer.

We already found out that if we put a spawn point for opfor outside the navmesh, ted and I can spawn in and the bots won't spawn until a second flag is capped that provides a spawnpoints inside the navmesh, this so the bots do spawn. (Hence why last event had a random flag at the enemy main). These things are an attempt in fixing issues/features we had in previous events in a way the game isn't really designed for. 

Other things been worked on is the sound effects. Ted managed to replace the Garrys horn with a jet sound to represent the enemy planes flying over which triggers the Russian VDV forces coming down from the sky.