Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

FOXHOLE

=VG= Blazer

FoxholeLogo.png

So a few of you have seen me jabbering on about this game and have wondered what I've been playing - Let me enlighten you!

To save myself the hassle and you all suddenly bringing up your google taskbars, I shall shamelessly copy what the developers have written:

"Foxhole is a massively multiplayer game where you will work with hundreds of players to shape the outcome of a persistent online war. This is the ultimate game of collaborative strategy and tactics. Every action you take can have a powerful and permanent effect across a vast world in a constant state of war... Foxhole's goal is to make players truly feel like they are working together to direct the outcome of an open ended war. Some games have attempted to pull this off in the past, but many of the have been hindered by gameplay affecting microtransactions or mechanics that hold the player's hands too much, resulting in wars that feel artificial instead of truly organic and player driven. Our mission is to be uncompromising in delivering this experience. Our dream is to have hundreds of players working in unison to complete large scale operations that takes weeks to plan. We want players to be setting up supply lines, executing missions behind enemy lines, and banding together to defend key strategic locations throughout the world. These ideas are extremely ambitious, but we are confident that we can achieve them if we work together with the player community over the long term... While the game is inspired by early 20th century weapons and tactics, the game actually takes place in an alternate timeline futures... To be clear, our goal is not to make a WW1/WW2 simulator, but rather to make the player feel like they are fighting a war where the combat and strategies are grounded in the world wars..."

The game is currently in alpha and is free on steam. The community and developers are highly active.

For a more descriptive summary of the game, visit:  http://www.foxholegame.com/

I personally would best describe Foxhole as mix between Project Reality, Running with rifles (RWR), Company of heroes (COH) and Men of war (MOW).

The game itself is  a top down shooter - this puts many players off the game within the first few minutes as they consider the view range and perspective awful. If you have played RWR or any real time strategy games, you will quickly adjust to the games point of view. Once you give it enough time and figure out the simple controls and basic principles of the game, you will find that it is highly addicting and a joy to play. Trust me when I say this - Its a very rewarding game when played right!

The game is simple, join a faction: The Colonials (Brown Coats) or the Wardens (Blue Coats). After spawning in, players can head to the front lines and assault enemy positions and take over the map and essentially win the war. Easy right...?

dbafb3_9da363999d794422b15d277778eed832~mv2.jpg

Wrong! Unlike most games- Any weapons, ammo, vehicles or additional support items are not given to you when you spawn. Instead they are created by the players, using a detailed logistics system within the game.

Again, making things simple, players can choose to either head straight to the front lines and take the fright to the enemy or choose to  supply their team with much need supplies and weapons. They can also help by building defences such as walls, gates and pillboxes.

Making items is not difficult, players simply have to mine scrap or components at marked locations on the map and deliver it to factories, here they can convert the scrap / components  into basic materials or refined materials. The materials can then be taken to other marked locations where you can make weapons etc.

However, carrying all this material around is never easy. Its heavy, slows you down and you're vulnerable to enemy attacks. Many players build trucks to quickly make and deliver supplies to the front.

foxhole5.jpg

As with any online strategy game, co-operation and teamwork is critical. Planning can involve setting up supply lines, preparing enough resources to attack any an enemy outpost and also where defensive structures need to be built.

If you are good, players can commend you, enough commendations will grant you a higher rank within the game. Players who are ranked WO2 (Warrant Officer 2) and above can form coalitions - These are used to co-ordinate a large group of players making planning easier.

Unlike most games, firepower is not necessarily the most important asset - Reconnaissance and as stated before, logistics, is just as important.

With careful strategy, we can formulate plans based on using darkness, foliage and terrain to our advantage.

So, I hope you all found this informative - Any questions just give me a heads up.

Why not give it a shot and find out what its all about for yourself? If you are struggling getting to grips with the game try this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQvmvKyqA_s

• Upvote 7

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Doc_Moon said:

Looks sweet. Who knew  Blazer could play video-games......xD

Moon. Playing games is only one of my special skills... :buba:

@=VG= SemlerPDX Glad you enjoyed reading it and thanks for the positive feedback!

I played a few rounds last night with a few of the regulars on PR, I think everyone involved had a good laugh.

Anyone is welcome to join us (Hit me up on the forum or on steam). Definitely a good time waster as we wait for the servers to come back online.

• Upvote 2