• Announcements

• =VG= SemlerPDX

Falcon BMS Server Update: New Minimum Connection Bandwidth Requirement - Increased to 2048   12/10/2017

As of December 10th 2017, the Required Minimum Connection Bandwidth for all clients is now forced to 2048.  In addition, the former config entry denying potential P2P connection types has been removed.  Both of these changes are due to reports of increased server and client multiplayer stability, and we are hoping to see the same improvements here as well.  Please report anything unusual while playing in the coming week so we can asses the benefits of this change.  Thank you!
=VG= keed

PR COOP Rules Discussion

54 posts in this topic

All good suggestions and fun ideas, but you gents seem to forget that this is COOP we are talking about. I dont see any of those things working out since the majority of the players we have are newcomers who have just finished downloading the mod and jumped in. How do you expect them to follow all the 100+ tiny rule bits that we have for every smaller thing? How to you expect them to follow up on that super micromanaged 8 man TOW hmmwv squad thingy?

I agree with what Double pointed out - We used to have a line that sayd that the rules are also to be used as a quidline and it would be up to the admins judgement to enforce them or to look the other way as needed. I dont see a problem with having a locked 2 man TOW hmmwv squad for example if they are being useful and get things done. Why force them to have an additional 2 blueberries with them that are just going to sit in the back and be absolutely useless?

The same goes for the shitty APCs such as (for) Fuchs (sake) & VAB - I have taken a view of them as more like a jeep class vehicles since the only difference atm is :

1. Size

2. ability to request kits

3. driver needs a crewman kit.

They dont have any anti tank capalities, rocket launchers or autocannons. Just same machineguns as the jeeps do. If the inf squads wants to use them and there are loads of them just sitting in main, then so be it. 

We dont have to micromanage everything with the rules. There are exceptions where it is possible to close your eyes and let it slip. I saw someone mention PRTA rules earlier - Yes PRTA did try to micromanage every squad and asset with rules and see where it got them. All they got was uproar from the community and hundreds of complaints on the forum until they turned their rules back to more civilized version.

And this brings us to the issue about the APC squad vs Mech inf squad - I'm strongly against the mech inf having priority over APC squad for heavy assets such as IFVs and mightier APCs than the ones mentioned before. Yes, mech inf can be effective at times, but how it turns out most of the occasions is that inf jumps in the vehicle, drives up to the flag, dismounts and abandons the vehicle, caps the flag and then heads back in and rushes the next flag, wasting the potentional firepower and support it can provide. Or second version - INF rushes in, dismounts, gets the vehicle blown up and then complains that APC squad is stealing their asset afterwards. 

To come back to the PRTA example- The current rule there state that Mech INF squads get priority over all the "APCs" and not IFVs. Do you really expect the normal COOP players to be able to make difference between an APC and an IFV? You guys seem to forget that this is not a deployment or tournament server. Of course we could follow the idea that tanks and IFVs go for the same squad but again - it's COOP. There are way more assets on maps than you can fit into one squad.

We have never had these kind of problems between APC squads and INF for years. Why is it so much of an hassle now? I rarely see a situation where INF squad gets denied/ignored the transport from APCs when calling in with the radio, so what's the issue?

Edit : If someone from the higher ups could move this discussion to a separate thread so it woudn't clog up the rules section, it would be appreciated.

(Seconding TEDF, it might be a better idea to just pin-lock the Coop Server Rules post and move all actual discussion posts afterward into its own space to not clog up the rules thread itself)

Maybe its not so much that this is about hassles and problems, but it is still a good idea to actually express what we think and want within the context of both COOP and our server. After all, if we don't at least maintain a baseline communication between ourselves, misunderstandings or unnecessary frustrations might build up because no one bothers to speak up about it or forgot that it has already been addressed.

For example, as TEDF's sentiment has pointed out, it would be more optimal and healthy for admins to treat the server rules as a guideline and cast judgements accordingly based on common senses and experiences of tangible nuiances going on in the server instead of following them by the letter. However, if we don't actually discuss such sentiment in the first place, especially if it does not come out from the higher ups that can project a more tangible application to it through their power, it can be confusing for the others to figure out and realize which approach is encouraged/discouraged, especially when they start making mistakes and understadably become afraid of potential negative connotations of certain judgements.

Another thing that is not as significant but can still affect us is that, as the game is continuously developed and evolved, the meta aspects and mechanics of the game will change accordingly, and we might need to revisit these things once in a while when that happens, especially if we start to forget whether they have been addressed previously. With 1.4.5.0's implementation of bot-checking all assets, we can no longer use the one-man land assets, reducing the amount of total assets available to BLUFOR and make the situation of having "way more assets on maps than you can fit into one squad" less relevant as time goes on if this change stays in future updates. While admittedly COOP's meta itself is not subjected to frequent changes, I think it is still something to pay attention to, if for no other reason than because it would affect how we handle related nuances as admins.

Hopefully we can move forward in discussion with this in mind to make things easier.

5 hours ago, =VG= TEDF said:

Edit : If someone from the higher ups could move this discussion to a separate thread so it woudn't clog up the rules section, it would be appreciated.

done

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, SerEvergreen said:

For example, as TEDF's sentiment has pointed out, it would be more optimal and healthy for admins to treat the server rules as a guideline and cast judgements accordingly based on common senses and experiences of ...

...Hopefully we can move forward in discussion with this in mind to make things easier.

Obviously admins need to 'feel' the server and just keep it clean and bend the rules when applicable. It's not a Nazi job where you have to enforce the rules at all times.

It's about fun.

I had previously heard some rumours and adjustments (you must join a squad) that turned out to be false and not the rule of thumb let alone the general rule. So it's good we keep talking .

Now as for the APC discussion, I think we all agree that jeeps and trucks are up for grabs to the squad that uses them effectively. 

My only point is that you can have a full infantry squad cooperating in an APC and thus winning a map. Or you can have a bunch of guys using armoured personnel carriers as tanks. That's it. Personally I have seen little proper usage of APC's by an APC squad and therefore I am a big fan of the IFV (Mechanical Infantry) squad as a rule suggestion. In some maps this should be the rule per definition (imho) and it would be fun for everyone, noobs and veterans. With Operation Marlin for example I think that all infantry squads should be IFV-I, II etc. and get it sorted.

But that's just my opinion and like all opinions they're assholes because everyone has one. 

I just want to throw it out there. 

Edited by Jersans
Edited for reading purposes