Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

A3 Liberation server

AKM

So, not only the scenario/mission itself isn't that good, it is very buggy and unstable. On top of that random players build enormous (but useless) FOBs and spawn a lot of AI for themselves which mess up performance aswell. Second server with BMR Insrugency on Tanoa runs very smooth (though it's very often down for unknown reason, maybe when all caches are destroyed it's just not restarting automatically?).

Anyway, my solution is simple - replace Liberation with BMR Insurgency variant for Altis.

• Upvote 2

But A3 Liberation server is twice as popular as the BMR Insurgency server is...  and it sounds like the only issue is with people being able to build too much or request too many units, but it's the first time the issue has come up here in the forums.  The A3 Liberation server has had a higher population count than any other Arma server here for a long time.  Just sayin.

• VG Seal of Approval 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:

But A3 Liberation server is twice as popular as the BMR Insurgency server is...  and it sounds like the only issue is with people being able to build too much or request too many units, but it's the first time the issue has come up here in the forums.  The A3 Liberation server has had a higher population count than any other Arma server here for a long time.  Just sayin.

I remember A2 Insurgency server being full all the time, just sayin. Eh, good ol' days.

That popularity(quantity) comes with no quality at all. All that players are typically lone wolfs and jumping in jet/attack heli as soon as possible ("hey guys, do you need cas?" in chat while hovering 100m above us in hot AO in Commanche without gunner, true story), and they are often 'activate' AOs all over the map, which again leads to poor performance. It's popular partly because there is no rules and no control. Also not everyone have Apex DLC with Tanoa to play on second server (main reason it's not that crowded) and this is why I'm talking about BMR Insurgency with Altis (vanilla, only base game needed) for first server.

Every time I'm on Liberation server it's always one big mess. Gigantic FOBs with abandoned trucks and tanks, AI squads waiting for their master (who d/c a while ago, yesterday I saw two fully packed MRAPs just sitting way beyond frontline and not moving). Enemies teleporting and ignoring half of the mag in torso (their spawn is often broken aswell, yesterday we walked up to the center of big town and T-100 with infantry literally spawned on top of us), helis taking like 4-5 AA missile hits to go down (single hit must be enough) and teleporting in the air, again due to lag and bugs. LIberation scenario itself isn't that good, and AI ratio just not suited for non-full server - 4-5 players vs. tank platoons?

Why that issues didn't pop up here before? No idea.

Anyway, BMR Insurgency have none of this problems. With a little bit of tuning of parameters it will be ideal, I think. But it's up to you to decide, I'm just giving ideas.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, AKM said:

AI squads waiting for their master (who d/c a while ago, yesterday I saw two fully packed MRAPs just sitting way beyond frontline and not moving).

This is also the problem of the so-called 3 FPS Arma (BI forum). The player has to reload and loses AI.

10 hours ago, AKM said:

LIberation scenario itself isn't that good, and AI ratio just not suited for non-full server - 4-5 players vs. tank platoons?

In Liberation, you can set the number of AI to the number of players. But it's also oddly operates. The script counts all players on the server and the play a few players. 

10 hours ago, AKM said:

BMR Insurgency have none of this problems. With a little bit of tuning of parameters it will be ideal, I think.

Comparison of "Liberation" to "BMR Insurgency" is how to compare "Domination" to "Insurgency" Arma2 ;)

If we're gonna compare Apples to Oranges here, the only point I want to make is that we'd like to offer Apples AND Oranges.  Some people really like Liberation -- and Insurgency is a great game mode as well.  Public servers are always going to have the element of Blueberries running amok and doing things at times that have to be undone.  My solution to that was always scripting.  If a mission has elements that need adjustment, it should be scripted into the mission the way PITN added SOAR elements on a menu for select individuals in A2 Insurgency because Blueberries would not do good things with access to the special heavy aircraft he added to his SOAR menu.

AI Squads could have a script that allows them to be dissolved if their "master" has disconnected for longer than 10 minutes, for example.  Perhaps there can be another script to deactivate AO's that have been activated but are not actively being attacked by a human player for a set period of time.  This is the power of Arma scripting - it's not hard to do most anything, and for the harder tasks, there are resources and communities devoted to making things like this.  I'd prefer this route to shutting down a popular server and using it to clone one of our other servers.

If Insurgency Tanoa is getting old, we could swap it out for the Insurgency Altis, but I'm not prepared to shut down the Liberation server because it has a few dedicated regulars as well as a small public crowd that enjoys it.  Just look at the GT list of players, I recognize several names on that list.  I don't want to shut down their game to duplicate one of our others.  In all reality, if Savage and Poff weren't so busy lately, they'd set aside a week to upgrade this VG Master Server running everything - it's still on an Intel Haswell setup, and the latest chipset servers are the same cost per month - meaning that we could nearly double the number of servers we are currently running negating the need to remove a server such as Liberation in order to add an Insurgency Altis server - eventually, we'll be able to add another Arma 3 server if we want.  But for now, I think we should continue to offer the variety that we do.

Sure, I remember how A2 Insurgency and it's SOAR and 'whitelist' elements worked. It was good, if not the best mission I ever played.

Thing is Liberation didn't get any of that scripting so far, it's pretty much the same it was year ago and with minimal changes over basic mission. Don't get me wrong - I understand what PITN is most likely don't have time for all that now and I can't help with that - unfortunately I have no knowledge at all about Arma scripting, don't even know where to start.

And nah, Tanoa isn't getting old. My idea was about vanilla and DLC servers at the same time with better (it have good variety of parameters by default and can be ejoyable even without scripting, runs much better) mission/scenario with minimal work required. But I get what you saying now - I just had no idea what you guys can host even more servers, heh.

Being surprised somebody cares about the VG A3 servers I jumped on Altis Liberation really quickly.

A couple of guys were asking for help at Kavala. I took the most populated spawn, jumped into a heli about to take off and the pilot flew somewhere completely else, activating more objectives and being a bad pilot got shot down.
Basically 2 guys play as intended while the rest just uses the server as a sandbox.

People don't even understand how Invade & Annex works, so I don't see how any amount of scripting could fix that.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, i gave pretty much up playing Arma, almost No other VG Member actually plays on the server, the Liberation mission is bugged as fuck, sometimes you even can´t restart it, People mess around there like idiots, other people flood the server with AI and assets and since 3 /4 Weeks even admins can´t become zeus anymore to delete the shit some players did.  In the last 40hrs gametime, i banned around 15-20 people for asset wasting, disrupting gameplay etc....

I think we should put one of the A3 servers down ( preferable the Liberation) until we finally get the new server (if that´s ever gonna happen)...

If the server has a minimum of 25-30 FPS Liberation is not bugged (almost) ;)
My ideas:

- Headless Client (It was mentioned on additional servers)

http://greuh-liberation.wikia.com/wiki/GREUH_Liberation_Wikia

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Headless_Client

"General rule of thumb. If it is mostly above 35 FPS. Headless clients will not bring much improvements. If below. you should consider adding them"

"We recommend a server restart every 3 hours. (although you could stretch it to 8-9 hours)"

- Dron not activate sectors
- Reduction hallo jumping (less active of distant sectors)
- Add in sectors/city soldiers AA (little). Hostile FOB or patrol paratroopers is AA and the city have?
- Set time of 24 hours and short nights (accelerated time and changeable weather causes the player freeze -together)
- Kick for friendly fire in FOB and Chimera eg. 2-3 x TK / 1min = auto kick (massive problems)
- Cleaning of the vehicle at 1 hour (probably it is)
- For the complete - admin + Zeus

Edit:

- Reduced radius activation of sector. It's too big.

• Upvote 1

- limit active zones to 1 or 2 (not enough players to do more anyways)
- clean up players who try to activate more AOs regardless (teleport to base + message, kick when repeated)
- Only allow capping of neighboring zones similar to AAS (avoids passing through another AO and activating it/triggering the check above)
- limit vehicles to 1 or 2 per player and despawn the oldest when exceeded
- limit AI number per player (this isn't single player after all)
- force using class specific gear (no more sniping medics everywhere)
- disallow VR gear ('unlimited' space)
- disallow the ridiculously overpowered LMG

It's gonna piss some people off, but there is always AhoyWorld.
Your opinion might vary but this is Arma, not CoD kiddy edition.

1 hour ago, Brain said:

- limit active zones to 1 or 2 (not enough players to do more anyways)
- Only allow capping of neighboring zones similar to AAS (avoids passing through another AO and activating it/triggering the check above)

No. You will be able with impunity drive through enemy territory (Truck-FOB, MHQ etc ...)

1 hour ago, Brain said:

- force using class specific gear (no more sniping medics everywhere)

And you'll play as the medic against tanks? ;) Medic (blufor) has a range shot 150-200 meters  without optics. The enemy AI has a range of 400-800 meters (have optics).  It's useless. And so they die 60 times per session with AT, optics and ThermoVision. :)

On 26.2.2017 at 7:34 PM, Zadra said:

And you'll play as the medic against tanks?

No, because that's not my job. My job is healing the guy with the AT launcher that exposes himself to take the shot, if needed. The basics of cooperative play are that simple. This should be the way to success, not loading up like a 1-man army.

Unrestricted medics are very popular because if you suck (and let's be honest, a lot of people do) you can just heal yourself, switch back to your 'super-weapon' of choice and continue until luck runs out. Give them scopes, but limit to assault rifles (no GL) so there is a trade off to be made.

And speaking of thermal vision: I'd get rid of that as well. No skill involved spotting anything with them.

14 hours ago, Brain said:

No, because that's not my job. My job is healing the guy with the AT launcher that exposes himself to take the shot, if needed. The basics of cooperative play are that simple. This should be the way to success, not loading up like a 1-man army.

Unrestricted medics are very popular because if you suck (and let's be honest, a lot of people do) you can just heal yourself, switch back to your 'super-weapon' of choice and continue until luck runs out. Give them scopes, but limit to assault rifles (no GL) so there is a trade off to be made.

And speaking of thermal vision: I'd get rid of that as well. No skill involved spotting anything with them.

Well than you´d need players who play as a team, but they don´t want to in Liberation..

On 2/28/2017 at 0:42 PM, =VG= Nvram said:

play as a team, but they don´t want to in Liberation..

or any public online FPS game.... 

11 hours ago, AKM said:

Great, now there is Tanoa Liberation instead of Insurgency on second server, and for dev build only on top of that.

Not sure who is working on this server, but it is labeled as DEV -- if they could post up here in the discussion, it would help... PITN? You got some good things coming or something?

27 minutes ago, =VG= SemlerPDX said:
12 hours ago, AKM said:

Great, now there is Tanoa Liberation instead of Insurgency on second server, and for dev build only on top of that.

Not sure who is working on this server, but it is labeled as DEV -- if they could post up here in the discussion, it would help... PITN? You got some good things coming or something?

Probably PITN testing the 64-bit executables Arma3 (1.68 Update).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Problem with atuosave campaign liberation at restart.
Soft restart
Restarting the server from the game (#restart) loads the last campaign record (every 1 minute). This record is okey. The campaign is continuing.
Hard restart
When restarting the game server (host panel) loads the old campaign record. This record is from the end of May. On the server (host) are two files with the game record?
It is named like this: <profile> .vars.Arma3Profile
Info: http://greuh-liberation.wikia.com/wiki/Server_Admin

Today was a game server crash (around 3 PM). Server stopped. After the reboot the server loaded the old record again from May. We lost five days of a new campaign.

• Upvote 1