• Announcements

• =VG= SemlerPDX

VG Servers are Back Up! *UPDATED AGAIN* TS3 Server is back; PR and Mumble are online, Arma 3 Servers are online but still need VG specific missions and configurations, should be done before end of week...   04/15/2017

UPDATE Sunday April 23rd:
      Most everything is back online now.  The PR Server is running, and Mumble is working.  We have not yet made PR Updates available in TCAdmin, but several more people have access to update the PR Server (including me) and there should be little to no server downtime from future PR Updates.

I've installed a second PR Server and still need to expand the VG PR License for it - it can be used for whatever, but I called it "PR EVENT SERVER" to start.  I figured we might also want a development server for things like FastJack's PR COOP Insurgency Mission testing, and we will take care of that this coming week as well, if able.

The Arma 3 Servers have been reinstalled, and they are running basic versions of their former missions.  They still need to be configured, but they will remain online until this happens during the week (when PITN gets time).  I've set up A3 Servers with a Steam Update button in TCAdmin, any Arma Admin can now update to the latest Arma version much faster and easier, and without needing to wait for a Head Admin.    -Sem

Sunday April 16th 2017:
      I've just received an email from the Server Host in Germany.  They host the server that runs our TS3 and various game servers here including Project Reality, and Arma 2 & 3.  Apparently, there has been a fault with our server host, possibly a hardware failure or such, but all servers in one part of their data center were affected including ours. We do not have further details at this time, but unfortunately this means VG Servers will be down until we can regain access to our server.  We were not given a time frame estimate or specific details of what damage was incurred, and we do not know if we have lost any data that was on the server.  We've been with this host for many, many years, and we've had nothing but great connections and fast servers.  Clearly this is a rare occurrence and we need to be patient as we weather this storm. I feel particularly bad for our loyal Project Reality players who were very patient waiting for our server to get it's most recent update, and I wish I could do something immediately to fix this.  It's a sad truth that it is out of our hands for the time being as we await contact from our host, and get a detailed damage report and estimate of how long until we are online again.  Of course, I've contacted the other head administrators at VG and apprised them of the situation.  We will update you all as we get information. Thank you all for your patience and understanding!
FrankoIT

Mic Problems affecting Gameplay

4 posts in this topic

So ever since I started playing here, I've been asked various times if I had a mic, and had to explain the same thing every time:

I do, but it sounds like I'm Megatron.

I'd like to fix this but I can't see to find a way. I'm using the standard microphone in my Lenovo laptop and it works well with Teamspeak, but whenever I play anything it sounds horrible. First it sounded really low, so I turned it up and now it's better, but the weird voice problem remains. I badly need help, I can't play like this!

I always wanted to sound like Optimus Prime or Darth Vader.

But whatever floats your boat. Basically I think the easiest solution is to buy a headset. It typically costs (basically) nothing and really improves your gaming experience. Just my two cents.

As our troubleshooting has revealed previously when you were playing in my squad just a moment ago, while we did also hear a bit of metallic feedback in the background (hence your impression of sounding like Megatron), it did not negatively affect our ability to hear you loud and clear so your audio setup at the moment works fine technically.

Since you mentioned using the default webcam mic that came with your laptop, I would suggest that you first check your sound card's settings and turn on/off effects and enhancements that could potentially eliminate this feedback. My suggestion is to turn on any and all noise cancelling/reduction effect(s), and turn off the rest, but you can also play around and find out which does what that might suit your liking. If this does not provide any tangible result then you can look into better audio gear like a good headset (Sennheiser PC 151, for example) as Jersans has advised above.

I've had a few headsets before, I prefer over-the-ear styles for max sound and comfort but I have noisy fans around me at times.  Gotta throw in my quick review of the G35 by Logitech - killer sound, impressive virtual 7.1 Surround Sound emulation, and the best mic I've ever used; plus it has 3 buttons on it that I find myself using all the time (programmable, I use one for Mute, Pause, and "Next Track" for my music player) and of course they can be set to any ingame buttons as well, with various profiles for different games.

Problem with laptop mics is they are entirely dependent on software to keep noise from the speakers from interfering with voice input, you can use your laptop like that for as long as you can take it before you get serious about your hobby here and get yourself a proper headset mic like the rest of us.  Sounds like the guys can hear you fine, even though it's not top quality.
Not to poke fun, but hell, next you'll ask how to make your touchpad mouse on the laptop work better in an FPS game (j/k)

Gear up, soldier ;)