Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Current campaign

Kaos

I have been having some issues with the campaign for a few days. The most common problems are duplicate callsigns, even within the same package, which in turn messes up the flight plans (you get some other flight steerpoints). Player fragged flights not appearing in the ATO but the AI still flies them (impossible to cancel or abort). Bullseye relocating in weird positions on the map and squadrons switching back to "set by HQ" mode.

Hmmm.... That's a new one.  The only recent change was the config addition of the command to make the AI idle after 2 hours without Human players on the server.  I'd like to hear from some others before I assume anything, but I am prepared to revert that change to see if it fixes these problems.

• Upvote 1

If you're referring to the A-10 squadron out of Osan I did set them back to "set by HQ" as last I looked there were DPRK tanks about 10 miles north of Seoul and the squadron was disabled.

Ever since playing on this server I have seen duplicate call-signs - specifically with the F18s off the carrier. I have never seen the same call-sign in the same package though...that's extremely weird.

The campaign ATO will move the bullseye every so often, as I understand.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sinu said:

If you're referring to the A-10 squadron out of Osan I did set them back to "set by HQ" as last I looked there were DPRK tanks about 10 miles north of Seoul and the squadron was disabled.

Ever since playing on this server I have seen duplicate call-signs - specifically with the F18s off the carrier. I have never seen the same call-sign in the same package though...that's extremely weird.

The campaign ATO will move the bullseye every so often, as I understand.

"set by HQ" was set for almost all the F-16 sqdrns. I'll try to frag a package with a couple of flights in it to see if the duplicate callsign happens again. Bullseye was positioned almost at the top right corner of the theater, could be normal but look a bit odd to me.

I'll chalk that up as another probably performance related bug.
Multiple callsigns aren't unusual as each plane type has a limited pool of callsigns available, the F-16 obviously having the most. IIRC "Cowboy" is the first callsign in the F-16 pool. When 1 flight is created it should step through the list, giving you the next available callsign + number. However, if BMS has another brainfart ... this might happen? Fits pretty well into the picture with flight creation being heavily delayed or packages not showing up in the ATO.

Similarly something might have gone wrong with the BE coordinates. We know that already from this 'brave HQ battalion' and DTC is weird online anyways. Sometimes it gets saved between connections, sometimes it doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...

New to this service, but old timer with respect to Falcon BMS and online flying (Falcon Online, etc.). I have no difficulty joining on the server in the online campaign 120th at Seosan, but can not frag a mission. Camp is nearing end of Day 25. I tried fragging a 2-ship DEAD mission from 5 different F-52C human squadrons and varying takeoff time from +30 to +90 minutes, constantly encountering the Bad Timing message. OOB shows squadrons have plenty of aircraft and map shows only scattered blue air activity.

Unrelated: Should I be guarding any particular radio freq?

• 1 month later...

I planned a package with 2 flights in it, I was the only human player, and all AI controlled planes never got airborne. All stopped on the taxiway. There were some

AI generated flights as well on the taxiway not moving. This happened this afternoon.

Also noticed callsigns+9 for all flights. I read up on it and the solution is to reset the callsign count using Mission Commander.

• Upvote 1

Server is back up, I modified the current save file so no progress was lost.  I was able to use Mission Commander to find the problem - you were correct about the callsigns, many had been used Max number of times (255).  They're reset now, should be good to go.  Please report if any other issues are still present.

• Upvote 2

Just set up a 2 ship sweep (me and 1 AI) out of the Kun. We taxied together to RW 36, on time. I took off. 2 was cleared to take off.

When I use the "W" key to direct 2 that menu is populated but 2 does not respond or show up on my datalink. If I turn back and use radar there is no paint for 2.

The DPRK is swarming A/A deep into the south also Ground forces somewhat shifted away from the West then translating the Z south along a line roughly direct east of Seoul all the way to the east coast.

1 Mig-29 damaged and 1 destroyed then a 29 killed me.

No POC but makes some good fights/flights.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brain said:

Where did you last see him? Did he make it to the runway and hold short?
Last patch there was a bug with wingmen stopping on the taxi way for no good reason.

I did a few flights out of Kunsan, the wingman stops on the parallel taxiway and never reaches the holding point. This happens for runway 36, not sure if the problem is there when runway 18 is in use and could be a problem for Kunsan only as I have never seen this happen at other airbases. All planes are there when joining the flight airborne; my guess is a broken or missing taxi path to runway 36.

It happened to me at Seosan before, can't tell you which RW.
Don't know about Osan or Kangnung, haven't taken a lot of AI with me from those. Osan specifically because it's a maze an AI takes a quiet long route.

Remember how the VG server never hosts anything in 3D (for performance reasons). The server doesn't load the 3D world, no terrain, no planes, no airfields and no waypoints for taxiways. It doesn't need to because it's all done on the client side. So, if this is a problem with the 'taxi path', you'd see it in single player, too.
Kunsan is host to a lot of training missions (with some AI traffic for show) and Seosan is very close to the DMZ. A lot of players would fly out of those and quickly discover the AI 'taxi path' issue, which then should be quiet easy to fix.
Maybe it actually happens in single player and just hasn't been fixed yet. I really don't know.

We did see some 'bugfixes' when we put the server into 3D a while ago. It was a good example of why hosting from the map "isn't supported", so I'm inclined to blame it on that. Incentive to get more people to play BMS I guess.

I have been playing regularly for the past week and would like to point out a few things:

I find the campaign too unbalanced. I agree that earlier versions were too favorable for the blue forces but now it is the extreme opposite.

Red air seems to have an unlimited number of planes, re supplies and repairs are extremely quick for red forces. (for example: destroyed airbases are back to 100% in half a day)

I am unsure that this campaign can be won even with constant human controlled flights and surely look like it has been designed with that concept in mind.

This is not a complaint just an observation.