Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

New Official COOP Map Pack for PR

=VG= Martin

Hi guys, there are a new Map Pack available to download from the forum of Project Reality.

This are the new maps:

• Dcon Weapon Bunkers - USMC vs. MEC (by =tGA=Harry)
  • Mercs Desert Wars - FR vs. FSA (by Hayabusa)
  • Operation Nightshift - GB vs. RF (by BierPizzaChips)
  • Operation Spyker - US + CF vs. FSA (by Rabbit)
  • Siege at Ochamchira - GB vs.Militia (by Irontaxi)
  • Tunis - CF vs. Hamas (by DICE)
  • Zhanjiang Security Area - PLA vs. NL (by Khrimson)

Here the official info: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196-pr-highlights/143198-pr-bf2-v1-3-9-official-coop-map-pack-released.html

I hope we can add this new content to the VG server.

Regards.

Martin

• Upvote 12

I do not think we shall add these. This mainly because the maps are not in the default files and so require manual installation. 
Further more I do not know if these maps contain stable enough coop layers.

I talked with some people before if it would be possible to get a second server up at weekends on where we could run custom content that can be downloaded from the website. But most of the comments where that it is already a pain in the ass to run 1 server not to mention 2. Also we have to take into account the limited playerbase we have for coop. We already the only decently running coop server but adding an second custom content server would divide the already limited people we have. Although it will cause more interaction with =VG= since people need to be actively downloading stuff to join the custom weekend maps.

However I do not have the final call on this.

I'd recommend to not add the maps and wait for the word to get out to the general population for the time being. From what I remember from previous mappacks, it will take at least 2 weeks for people to get their hands on the maps and get them correctly installed. After that I guess we could give it a try and put them on for a weekend with a few weeks ahead notice and then, depending on how it goes, we can add them to the main map rotation.

Although it's quite enjoyable to fight off waves of bots with 16 people and trying to survive inside the bunkers while running around and looting enemy kits for ammo, it does get boring after a while.

5 minutes ago, =VG= Double_13 said:

Further more I do not know if these maps contain coop layers and whether they are stable enough to use.

They have COOP layers. COOP mappack after all.

• Upvote 2

My two cents...

• Manual installation  = Unzip the file inside PR folder . That's it. No futher actions needed.
  • COOP Layout = Yes, these maps are for COOP so all them have COOP layouts.
  • Tested maps = Yes, all them were tested but, as TEDF said, you always can wait a couple of weeks and see how is working to the community.
  • Add this map pack to VG server = I think would be great to have more maps to deal with and have fun playing them.
  • Time to play = Of course we will find time to play together Rotblut... Just wait and relax brother ;)

Regards.

Martin

• Upvote 1

Having to manually install maps is a bigger turnoff than we oftenly think. to us and the experiencee regulars, it is indeed just unzipping some files. To others it means extra effort and might simply cause them to go play on another server where they can just play without downloads and effort.

Just played three of these on local. All of these maps would be fun initially but the proof is in the playing. Be interesting to see how they play online.

Dcon Weapon Bunkers: USMC attacking one MEC Base. Could be over in minutes

Mercs Desert Wars : Feels similar to Operation Marlin, mainly infantry and APCs, two transport Helos.

Siege at Ochamchira: Infantry map with a couple boats, I liked this one because a lot of the flags could be accessed by sea. Could be fun too.

cheers,

Kav

Just got the maps and hell they are beautiful as FUUUUCCCKKKKKKKKK EXTREME PERFECTION HALLELUJAH BLESS THE PR GODS!!!!

For those who might struggle to understand the installation method here it is in SIMPLE ENGLISH:

1.Download the mod pack from http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f196-pr-highlights/143198-pr-bf2-v1-3-9-official-coop-map-pack-released.html

2. When the download is done select the file which you downloaded and double click to run. This should prompt whatever unpacking software you have to run.(WinRAR,7zip...etc.). If you don't have any unpacking software just simply download WinRAR from its website.( ITS COMPLETELY FREE I SWEAR HALLELUJAH BLESS THEIR SOULS).

3. Once open simply select the EXTRACT TO option and select the folder in which your project reality game is located.( by default located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Project Reality\Project Reality BF2)

4. Confirm your selection and  wait for the extraction to finish .

5. Start your game and check the map lists and  OMG ITS THERE HOLY  MOTHER MARY AND JOSEPH ITS A MIRACLE OMGOMGOMG 

Cant wait for the day the maps will be added to the server. Until then enjoy in  your own personal local game!

- Soldier

Even if you make an installer file that auto detects the PR map folder there will be people that do not read. I recall the last event where 7 people where unable to follow the dummy instructions included to install the maps. And that event only contained 20 ish people.  I can already imagine what will happen when it is mandatory to join our server 

Its not so straight forward to install these packs.

I had to unpack into a folder then copy the levels across to my PR installation due to administrator privileges blocking my attempts to unzip into the PR folder.

So its not always easy to do when something like that occurs for non computer geeks. No offense.

cheers,

Kav

8 hours ago, Kavelenko said:

Its not so straight forward to install these packs.

I had to unpack into a folder then copy the levels across to my PR installation due to administrator privileges blocking my attempts to unzip into the PR folder.

So its not always easy to do when something like that occurs for non computer geeks. No offense.

cheers,

Kav

THERE YOU GO MARTIN xD

And so the Plz Help treads begin

I could make one - so could Double_13 (and several others here I assume) - I think the consensus is that it's just a zip file to extract,  and spending a few hours testing and troubleshooting a quick and dirty installer is just a waste of time.  Unzipping a file package is not advanced computer science and though we all have different levels of computer literacy, I feel that if people cannot figure this one out, we can handle it on a case by case basis.

No one would reject an installer if someone makes one, just make the source code open and put links to the code from pastebin/github or wherever so people can check it out.

• Upvote 1