Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

"How to mortar 101"

ZZANG1847

Originally I wasn't planning to make a post like this, but recent threads about this topic encouraged me to make a comprehensive guide of "how to make bots' lives miserable 101." If you are not into mortaring and don't care what I am going to lecture on, feel free to pass on this topic. Otherwise, this is going to be a very text heavy (with some boring photos) post that requires a lot of thinking and reading. 

I hope you have a coffee and a patience, 'cause you are going to need it ;)

If you're ready, I present you........

DemomanVidSplash.png

[Introduction]

I never served in the military, so I cannot comment on how army operates with mortars in real-life engagements. But from what I've learned and seen over the years playing PR COOP (huge thanks to recon, who is truly the most deadly person with M9 pistol since John McClane from Die Hard :D), mortars can be used in both offensive and defensive purposes, and they can be either extremely effective or completely useless depends on who's using it, and how they're using it. Here are couple of things that can make mortar squads great or pathetic:

1) How fast are mortar crews? Do they know basic understanding of map and how to use mortar?

2) Does mortar squad leader know what he's doing? Does he know the map and how to use mortar?

3) Are other infantry and armor squads communicating with squad leader? Is Trans squad being effective?

In this topic, I will let you know what I've gathered over the few years of how to do an effective mortar, and how it can make you on top of scoreboard, that is if you do your job and don't F&%K this up. Now, you might be wondering, "What makes me a good mortar man?"

<TEAM>ZZANG1847: If I were a bad mortar-man, I wouldn't be sittin' here, discussin' it with you now would I?

[Learn the map]

Unlike Deployment, bots do not think. They are being told where to go and what to shoot by developers who navmash so they don't get stuck in a random building doorway, wasting assets and our precious CPU power. Because of this, if you understand how bots behave, you can predict where they are going in which speed, and when will they arrive on the flag they're heading. For instance, if CAS knows what they're doing at Muttrah City, they would know that if they take off as soon as possible at the start, they will face bunch of BTRs and BMPs sitting at the crossroads of East City Center, waiting for the flag to be captured. There are instances where few armors will roll out to West City Center even before East is capped, but if you manage to put that into account too, then you know how to deal with these assets with minimal casualties. Same thing goes for the mortar.

To help you understand this mechanic better, let me give you an example. Down below is a coop standard layout of everybody's favorite, Charlie's Point (well.... except keed, of course). I have put few things here and there to let you understand better how this map works.

1111.jpg

1) Direct spawn point means enemies spawn in and around the objective. "Point Lookout" and "Ruins" is a flag that everybody likes to grind their teeth about, because enemies spawn right on the flag and like to shoot you without you even noticing them. These are the flags where enemies and friendlies will be mixed up, and mortaring will be "extremely danger close," requiring some heavy communication between you and other infantry squads in the area. Usually they do not call fire mission because of the possibility of a collateral damage, but if they do it is most likely either they are being overrun or they trust you with mortaring thanks to the trust you built with them. Either way, DO NOT SHOOT ON THESE FLAGS UNLESS YOU AND OTHER SQUAD LEADERS AGREED UPON TO FIRE ON THE FLAG.

<TEAM>ZZANG1847: One intentionally missed communication, one wayward pinch of high explosive round, one errant twitch... and kablooie!

ZZANG1847 [Teamkill] =VG= Melon_Muncher

2) Indirect spawn point means enemies will not spawn "on point," but around the objective. "River" objective is a good example where N.V.As will spawn on the West side of the island, and the north by the hill. This is a flag where you need to talk to infantry squad leaders who can spot the enemy presence for you, and you can suppress them before N.V.As take out our precious G.Is. In case they get overrun and tell you to bomb the objective, shoot everything you've got so they don't go anywhere but to their spawn screen.

3) No spawn points means..... well, no spawn point. The "Dock" flag is the easiest flag to take on this level, and it requires no fire mission from either CAS or mortar squad to help you take the objective. Heck, you can even land a chopper with 2 pilots on the flag and still take it easily. How do i know that? Because I do it all the time! Shooting mortar before taking this objective is outright S-T-U-P-I-D, but if enemies are swimming across the pond to get there and start taking the flag, it is a good idea to send some rounds down range. However, make sure to coordinate with other squads who might be going there. People know its an easy flag, so they will go there without expecting too much of a resistance. The last thing they want to hear is a mortar coming on top of their head because they didn't tell you where they're going, and you didn't tell them where you are shooting at.

So where does all these information lead to? Well, I prepared another image just for you. Take a look:

11111.jpg

Yellow stars are the place where enemies are "most likely" spawning. Don't take my word for granted on these positions, as I am still trying to pinpoint their exact spawn point, and even after all these years of COOP adventure I am still scratching my head because I am not so sure of them.

Green arrows are the direction enemies are heading, if the flag at the end of arrow's tip is either neutralized or taken by the U.S. forces. For instance, if infantry squads just neutralized "Point Lookout," there is a good chance that NVA bots are spawning on "Ruins" and heading North to take it back from filthy capitalists. In that case, suggest infantry squads to either take chopper or boats to get to other flags while shelling the crap out of south side of "Point Lookout" to cut off enemy reinforcements. As long as you're shelling where needs to be shelled, others will have some time to take one of the three flags on the map.

Sounds easy? Well this is just one map, and there are 10+ maps VG CO-OP servers that mortars can be a vital asset to infantry squads. I wish I could make a guide map for all the maps we play on, but my information is not 100% correct and it is based on my limited knowledge, so I will just leave you with some of works I just did. Please remember, spawn locations and movements are not 100% accurate, and you need to cross-reference with other people who play on VG COOP server regularly (any person with =VG= tag is a good starting point, and also people on top of scoreboard is also good one). Some of stars mean enemy mortar positions as well as a place where enemies are seen most of the time. Arrows also might not be correct, as bots like to take a different route, depending on how the game is going.

P.S) Layout of the map is VERY important when it comes down to enemy spawn locations and movements. Do not use these guides on other layouts, as it will make your mortar barrages completely pointless. I left a title on each images for this sole reason.

3.jpg

(Ridge on the Northwest side of 2nd flag is where most of enemies are seen. Also, some enemies get stuck at fortress bridge, west side of 2nd flag)

4.jpg

(5th flag(cave) is always hardest to take as bots like to sit on top of the hill east side of the flag. Bomb the area with HE/PRX for greater effect)

2.jpg

(4th flag(supplies objective) is a good place where enemies can get pinned down by mortar fire. If you shoot North side of hill, you will cut off N.V.As who are heading to 3rd flag(swamp) objective. When friendlies are safe inside the barn on the flag, make sure to hit east side where enemies are spawning. This is a flag where i got 260 kills on one game without even seeing one N.V.A).

1.jpg

(Uh..... why are we playing this map? THIS MAP SUCKS!)

(But seriously, 1st flag is the hardest, and it wouldn't be too difficult if armor is doing their job. Just follow the map and you'll be fine)

6.jpg

(Enemies like to come through beach to take beach flag, so make sure to get them before they reach the flag)

(Also, i hear T62s on this map was developed with an alien technology where they fire more than dozen shells without even reloading once)

[Tips & Tricks on using a mortar]

If you have no idea how to use mortar and would like to learn it now, stop reading this guide and go watch Youtube videos that teach you how to shoot mortars. There are plenty out there and visual guide is at least 100x better than reading through this. For those of you who already learned how to use a mortar, you should know each rounds are designed for a specific purpose.

HE = High explosive, good against both infantry and armored targets, recommended for any situation.

PRX = Airburst, extremely effective against infantry in a wide open space, but terrible against maps with hills/buildings/armored targets.

SMOKE = BOTS CAN SEE THROUGH IT, SO DON'T USE IT. It is good at ruining people's fine work at the end screen, though. :b0209:

Now, when you shoot the HE or PRX by using LMB(Left-Mouse button) or spacebar, the lower right bar will start filling up, indicating a mortar reloading. Most of people just wait for this to load up and shoot the next round as soon as it's loaded up. But, I have learned that if you shoot one type of ammo and immediately switch to other types of ammo, you can shoot another round without needing to wait for first one to recharge. In order to do this, you need to spam spacebar button as soon as you switch round type, and if you do this without a hiccup, you should be able to send rounds out 2x faster than how people usually do.

This method, however, has both pros and cons:

Pros - 2x the rounds down range, 2x the fun and..... maybe couple more kills that would otherwise be done by other mortar crew members

Cons - ammo goes 2x faster, and your squad leader will hate you by the end of a match. Also, did i told you PRX isn't good on some maps?

I usually do not recommend using this method as it can be a double-edged sword, but if a friendly infantry squad is about to be overrun and you need to give them everything you've got(a.k.a "Broken Arrow"), this is probably a good option to consider.

[Conclusion]

I wish there were more things to talk about, but I can't think of anything else extremely important on how to mortar. Understanding the map and enemy movements are the key aspect on how to do mortars well, and if you get these right, then there shouldn't be too much difficulty playing with dangerous explosives. Just remember to communicate with friendly squads on where you will be shooting, and cease fire immediately if they ask you to do.

Oh, also to note.....

<TEAM>ZZANG1847: So! T'all you fine bots so proud, so cocksure, prancin' aboot with your heads full of LAT kits! Come and get me I say! I'll be waiting on ya with a whiff of the ol' high explosives. I'm a grim bloody fable... with an unhappy bloody teamkill spree!

ZZANG1847 [Teamkill] =VG= Melon_Muncher

ZZANG1847 [Teamkill] =VG= Keed

ZZANG1847 [Teamkill] zero_tolerance

ZZANG1847 [Teamkill] STARK58

ZZANG1847 [Teamkill] papa-krass

<TEAM>ZZANG1847: Oh, I'm going to have to glue me back together, in hell!

Yeah I know..... I'm not funny. :angry:

• Upvote 4