Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Unable to load photos

Minrah

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Minrah said:

hey Blud dont want to be a thorn in your side, I was able to upload photos again, and now its back with the same error, not sure if theres a silent war thats going on or Kim jung un really doesnt like me posting photos with his statue half way in the photo....

I dunno man, I'm not changing anything and I still can't upload certain files that are too large. 

• Upvote 1

I remember reading or seeing something about a 0.2 meg cap for uploads. BMS by default saves PNG, which are 'huge'. You could use a tool like irfan view to batch convert all screenshots to JPG  .......

Anyways: I actually thought about this before but now that you bring it up...think about this:

I've flown some great missions today and I know on every flight somebody was taking screenshots. I only took 8 across 3 flights but I know that's just the very tip of the Eisberg (after like 6 hours on the server in total)!!

So, instead of bombarding VG with dozens of pictures after good flights/evenings like that, I'm thinking about a dedicated BMS Screenshot thread. Instead of uploading to VG I'd recommend using a decent image hoster. Personally I'd recommend imgur.com. Drag & drop functionality, easy to set up albums, easy to add descriptions to each image (if the image doesn't say enough words already :) ), dark background making it easy on the eyes .... and you can easily share your album in the forum. NutsBe is using postimage.org which looks fine as well (running adblock fyi) and stuff like google drive should work just as well these days. Just don't pick some stupid hoster that will display pictures of a praying kitten begging for better image hosting in 2016 :P

What I'm thinking is: upload all the pictures you like into 1 album, pick a really good one and post it in the BMS Screenshot thread (use "BBcode"). Basically like this ... only more BMS related:

Look at this!! That's my stupid nerd-face next to a Dutch F-16 Block-15 in 2014. One day, I'll make it into one of those. Got close though and still took seat in a Bölkow Bo-105 and a Westland Lynx. Next chance coming up next year around June. Still haven't put all pictures together, but shows you some of the 'smaller' highlights going on around the airshow itself. So much more than just static displays. Definitely check the story about the AA vehicle. The Dutch are awesome!
3bNZNy2.jpg
http://imgur.com/a/b4DgG

Just using BB code for the 'cover image', followed by a link to the album.
Will look through our BMS archive and see if I can find us a nice screenshot topic to fill. Was a good day flying with ya'll ! Can't wait to see your pictures.:dance2:

• Upvote 1

I believe the point is that we should not have to.  Using imgur for now is the best workaround unless you all want your pictures slaughtered by a resize.  Try here first, if it's too big, use imgur.com and paste the links in the post.

@Brain - dang, you a skinny mofo, huh? ;)

• 11 months later...

1 hour ago, .Blizzard. said:

any way it could be fixed ?

Yes, just use imgur and paste the link in your post.  I use it for everything, even my articles.

The upload size for pictures on the VG website is 900 KB, for the record.  If you resize your images to have a max size of <900 KB, they will upload every time.

Why?

Website Size and Costs.  Photos and screenshots are getting larger in size these days, and rather than have a website that has empty holes where archived photos used to be when we mass-clean thousands of these not-small image files, we encourage people to use image websites that provide the free storage and image links, or limit their photo size to less than 900 MB per image.  When you find yourself wanting to move your website, and spend days deleting terabytes of images and other "now useless" files, you get a little wary about unlimited size uploading for a small community website.  I'm sure you all can understand that.

We also encourage the use of DropBox for file sharing, and use it in our own download section at times to spread the load off this website and onto a free host that is designed for file sharing, and provides free storage and download links, though files under the limit can be shared here just like photos.

:hi:

• Upvote 4