Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

How to "use" TrackIR in Battlefield 3

ridDle

Stumbled upon this link in the forums. Tested it out and it works, its not a perfect solution because of no toggle button for free look and you cant fly around while using free look.

Source: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654489435033033/

Hi all,

Currently Battlefield 3 does not support trackir (a device which tracks your head movements and converts them into a movement in the game), however it does come with a mouse emulation software. I want to be able to use the trackir in the jets, rather than on foot as there is no point in using it for troops when you don't have a separate view control and aiming control (like arma2). Currently using mouse emulation with trackir I can look around in the cockpit, however I have to hold down a button to do this, and it also disables all flight control input. Also, if you are moving your stick during flight and go to use the freelook, you can't, basically the flight controls override the view if you are already in a turn or manoeuvre. This means you can only look around when flying straight and level, or with no control input.

As it is, this is a nice interim solution to using trackir in the cockpits, however what we really need is the ability to look around WHILE flying. Also we need a toggle button for the look around rather than a hold button. If these two needs are satisfied, we will have a fully functioning 2DOF (two degrees of freedom - ie x and y) head tracking for BF3.

If people are interested in trying this, you need to first hunt down the mouse emulation software that comes withthe Trackir software. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TIRMouse.exe. Open that exe and then this mouse emulation profile shows up in the list of profiles in the trackir profiler. You can make any changes you want to this profile, I got rid of the dead zone for both axes, and added a button to my joystick as a pause command when I am not in the planes. The next thing you need to do is go into the game, into the key bindings for jets and or choppers, then remove the mouse x and y axes from the pitch and roll controls. This means that when you look around with the trackir, it wont also control your aircraft. Make sure you also bind a joystick button to the freelook command.

Now you are ready to fly and look around. When I enter the cockpit I unpause trackir, that means any time I press the freelook button when in the cockpit i can look around with my trackir.

Its not a perfect solution, but will get you basic functionality. Now we need DICE to fix those other two problems, ie. make the freelook a toggle function, and allow us to control the aircraft while looking around.

Enjoy.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic