Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Cluster Bomb Setup??

Ladr6

I am trying to figure out the best setup for rockeyes/CBUs. I normally set the burst at about 1300-3000 depending on drop height. Anyone have any input on this/suggestions? Also, what kind of ripple distance? It seems that even when I set it between 175ft- 300ft, I still can't get the whole column. Anyone know on average what the column distance is or what the burst ration is on the clusters? For instance... If I set the burst at 1500ft, what kind of ground coverage am I going to get?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladr6 LAN_WROTE ...

Nevermind... Got it! So Bones, why always in pairs? Or is that just in maybe CCRP? And thanks by the way! You the man!

Sorry for the confusion, you dont have to drop them in "pairs" I was just trying to point out that you should always drop at least two because it gets a better effect on target (damaged vs destroyed) as well as a better (ie bigger) blast pattern. You can do this by dropping in "pairs" or "ripple" them off. It does not matter which mode you drop them due to the fact that they are "dumb" bombs and once they are off the rail they are on their own as far as guidance.

Ladr6 LAN_WROTE ...

What do you do if you have a bunch of GMT that are scattered about? Still "pair" or one? Seems like you would go thru the bomb load pretty quickly like that.

Well in that case, I would use a different weapon designed to kill a specific single target (Mavs, Mk82/84, LGB,GBU), remember that CBUs (Mk20, CBU87) are area effect munitions and best used on closely packed groups. There is no point in dropping a single Mk20 with a high burst altitude so that it covers a huge area as the effect will not be very good. Alos check to see what kind of target it is that you are trying to kill, use the pod (if you are carrying one) and take a peek. If it is a soft skinned target then by all means drop a single as you will probably kill it, if its armor I would think twice about dropping a single as you might not get the kill on the first pass and you never really know if you are going to get a second. !yes

• 2 weeks later...
Columns can stretch in excess of 7000M long so a ripple of 12 rockeyes at 300m will only cover half it's length. If you go for 600m you may loose on area effect.

Columns are normally setup into groups of 3 like so

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

That's actually pretty much what they look like in game from high up lol.

Rippling off all 12 at once is by far the safest option but probably won't get you as many kills. Going for single bombs as you dive down on each group of 3 (correct for lead if it's moving) will give you better results (you can get 30 kills this way with rockeye's) but you put yourself in harms way for ground fire and SAM's. Set your chaff/flares to dispense about 20, maybe 2 a second with a seconds interval. You're only doing one pass anyway. Basically you want them firing out for the length of time your in the SAM threat area.

Remember as soon as you hit them, they'll scatter so make sure you set your attack run up good, flying along the column in the direction it is travelling.

CBU's have all different uses. 12 Rockeye's is fine for armoured columns but check the tac ref and experiemnt with them.

Jex :)

Jex LAN_WROTE ...

Columns can stretch in excess of 7000M long so a ripple of 12 rockeyes at 300m will only cover half it's length. If you go for 600m you may loose on area effect.

Columns are normally setup into groups of 3 like so

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

That's actually pretty much what they look like in game from high up lol.

Rippling off all 12 at once is by far the safest option but probably won't get you as many kills. Going for single bombs as you dive down on each group of 3 (correct for lead if it's moving) will give you better results (you can get 30 kills this way with rockeye's) but you put yourself in harms way for ground fire and SAM's. Set your chaff/flares to dispense about 20, maybe 2 a second with a seconds interval. You're only doing one pass anyway. Basically you want them firing out for the length of time your in the SAM threat area.

Remember as soon as you hit them, they'll scatter so make sure you set your attack run up good, flying along the column in the direction it is travelling.

CBU's have all different uses. 12 Rockeye's is fine for armoured columns but check the tac ref and experiemnt with them.

Jex :)

Great info! Still waiting for Bones to help me with setting up my chaff/flare programs.!whistle