Website Updates and Upgrades are still underway! We don't expect any further downtime, but we thank you for your patience as we restore themes and other elements including the Chatbox.

Vid Cards

=VG= BLuDKLoT

Hey guys I think it's time I try to upgrade my PC. It's been a while since I've had to source PC gear. Question, if you could buy a new gfx card, what would you get and why? My PC is starting to run slow with dual ATi 5870's with these newer games. Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted_Toaster LAN_WROTE ...

I'd go with either the GTX 570 or 580 although I find it hard to believe a dual 5870 setup is running slow. Sure there aren't any other bottlenecks?

Yeah, was gonna mention this too. I'm running a single 58xx (think it's a 70 or 80) and can still run every game I've come across at full detail with no slowdown.

Don't be wondering whether to go ATI or Nvidia.
Comparing ATI and Nvidia cards in general has become very hard as both Names push all their top-shelf cards to the max. Neither of them have any 'name-driven-sicknesses' nor any name driven bonuses.
Even the dual-card technologies aren't that different anymore, from a gamer's perspective.
When picking a new card, leave the Name aside unless you're a big fan of one and even then you might want to ignore it to get a better overview.

blud's specs :D got it off xfire and i dont think anything else is the reason probably the gpus are just old
Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory:
6GB Corsair 1866Mhz DDR3 Dominator
Hard Drive:
2x300GB VelociRaptor (RAID 0) 10,000 RPM
Video Card:
Dual ATI Radeon HD 5870 2GB DDR5
Monitor:
Samsung T260HD 1900x1200
Sound Card:
SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
Speakers/Headphones:
Sennheiser PC166 Headphones
Keyboard:
Logitech G19 / Saitek X52 Pro
Mouse:
Logitech G9x / Track IR 5.0 / Logitech G27
Mouse Surface:
Acrylic ICE precision surface, optical/laser
Operating System:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Motherboard:
Asus P6T SE X58 Crossfire Triple Channel DDR3
Computer Case:
Black CoolerMaster Storm Sniper / 1000w

Blud, slow mouse movement may be a sign of background resources activating/eating away memory while gaming.

Do you have AV running that may be doing a scheduled scan??

Something's eating up your resources big time if the configuration of the two cards is being affected.

I doubt it is your GFX cards that are having an issue, they're the ones getting the bad end of the deal from something else IMO.

Brian

ok well yesterday I finally installed my new HD since my old config in RAID 0 was fouled. I've been reinstalling and updating, but no gaming yet. Once I get all my shit reinstalled i am going to try a few games and then I'll know for sure. I'm on a fresh install so there can't be anything else to blame if it runs poorly. Hopefully I'll be gaming in a few hours. Thanks guys and I'll keep you posted.

RAM22 LAN_WROTE ...

Blud, slow mouse movement may be a sign of background resources activating/eating away memory while gaming.

Do you have AV running that may be doing a scheduled scan??

Something's eating up your resources big time if the configuration of the two cards is being affected.

I doubt it is your GFX cards that are having an issue, they're the ones getting the bad end of the deal from something else IMO.

Brian

Agreed !